Do The Best Dark Blue Paint Colors Give You The Blues?

Hey Everyone,

I recently received a real “Dear Laurel” lovely note:

Dear Laurel –

About a year ago, a close friend sent me the link to your website. And, you’ll never know how much enjoyment I’ve derived from your candid and fun blog posts. I also refer back to, save, share, and am continually inspired.  I so enjoy your candid and fun way with words, too.

Not only have you expanded my horizons, you’ve saved me money!

[Laurel needs to interrupt to say that this lovely woman is not on my payroll. haha!]

Thanks to your timely hot sales alerts, we ordered two chairs, bedding, shams/comforter, and a Robin Bruce Sleep sofa (your feature on sleeper sofas got us over the hurdle). All have been received except the sofa, and we are thrilled with everything!

You’ve energized me to revisit my long-time favorite Blue & White Chinoiserie, so I’m underway on that too!

I need your suggestions for a rich, dark blue wall paint to go in the adjoining small-ish guest bath. The tile, tub, sink & wc are Kohler crisp white, the floor is stained wood.

All Best Wishes,

Judy

Gosh, that was a darling note. Thank you Judy! How can I say no?

In addition, a few others have been asking for a post about the best dark blue paint colors.

Okay, then! Here it is…

Also, there are a few surprises coming up, that I hope you’ll enjoy.

It’s been a long time since I did a post devoted to a specific color group. Well, except for the recent reworking of my top 20 best shades of white paint colors.

However, in the past, we’ve covered most of the other color groups, such as the best:

warm grays (which sometimes veer into violet, beige/greige and khaki)

cool grays (which sometimes veer into blue, green, indigo)

pale blues that don’t scream out BABY BLUE.

some of my favorite green paint colors

green paint colors that aren’t called green

yellow paint colors and a popular shade from the early 18th century

orange paint colors, from pale to deep

red paint colors

How to Work with the Color Pink

And brown, masculine shades preferred by the wife, not her husband

There are more posts about paint. If you are looking for more. You can either try the search box in  near the top of the sidebar. Or, you can go to the categories (lower down on the sidebar) and look for “interior paint colors.”

But, one thing that often comes up is that most of us have connotations with certain colors, myself included. And, blue is one of those that comes up quite frequently

I’ll never forget my COLOR professor at the New York School of Interior Design saying to a student in 1988, “No, you don’t like blue; you like indigo. Blue is a horrible color.”

It is?

Strange thing to say to a student, if you ask me. Mostly, I like all colors, but some need to be in very small doses. haha. Here’s a good example of that, with a child who picked a shocking color for his bedroom.

Below is a classic example from Breakfast at Tiffany’s where a ravishing Audrey Hepburn explains to her newly met love-interest, in the film, George Peppard, the difference between the “mean reds” and “the blues.”

Breakfast At Tiffanys - The Mean Reds - Best Dark Blue Paint Colors

Love the Tiffany blue sleep mask.

And, Audrey darling; you have a long way to go before you have to worry about getting fat.

HUGE hippopotamus - the color of feeling fat

This, I believe, is the color of getting fat.

Find a Place Like Tiffany

Of course, it’s not a place that she needs…

Oh, I do hope that when she gets her life together, she goes and shops my hot sales for some beautiful new furniture!

Feeling sad has never felt like the color blue to me; quite the opposite, actually, which we’ll soon see.

mark_rothko_navy_black464

Mark Rothko

However, feeling blue, or the blues is prevalent in art and especially in music, as well.

uhhh… The Blues. Everyone knows that.

The blues have long been associated with a genre of music that evolved in the deep south after the civil war.

But, did you know that virtually all music today is a direct evolution of the original blues? Gospel, Spiritual, Soul, Rhythm ‘n Blues, Jazz, Big Band, Rock (in all of its forms), Hip Hop, Funk, etc.

And, now, for a special treat related to the blues in music.

Most of you guys know that I love to mix things up sometimes when I find something classic of superb quality, I can’t help but share it.

And, especially when there’s a strong cross-over in artistic disciplines. I feel that it’s all connected. Plus, classic can be from any time in history and is not reserved to strictly classical music, art and architecture.

Coincidentally, I recently discovered a fabulous radio show (but available online) called Magnuson Blues Show on Space 101.1fm, (Best Blues, Vintage Soul, R’n’B, Gospel)

The exceedingly knowledgeable host, John Wooler, does an incredible job of introducing the pieces.

And, it’s no wonder. John’s 25-year career in the music industry includes working as a senior VP at Virgin Records for nearly 20 years as well as heading his own music production company where he discovered and launched the careers of many successful artists and bands. He has also taught music production at the college level.

And, he is a 26-time Grammy Award nominee with five wins!

Pretty impressive, right?

So, it’s safe to say that John knows much about blues music. Plus, he has the most charming Scottish accent. :]

Here’s a link to John’s Blues (+ Vintage Soul, R’n’B, Gospel) radio show which I’m enjoying listening to and learning about artists I’ve never heard of before. I highly recommend it. You can subscribe to the channel by clicking on the link.

It seems to me that the blues is really more about a catharsis of sorts; like a good cry.

I see the blues as a means to heal through music. If there was no healing going on, there would be no music at all.

But… that is also how I feel about the color blue. It is the color of healing.

In fact, many years ago when I studied acting in New York City, we had an exercise, amongst many where we imagined a healing blue light flowing through our bodies. Our teacher told us we could summon this say, at an audition to calm nerves.

The reason I’m going on about this is that a lot of us have preconceived notions about color, based on either what we hear or what we think we believe.

And, while some of you already love rich, dark blue paint colors, some of you might not be there yet. And, it’s fine if you never get there. But sometimes it helps to think of old things in new ways, I find.

Here’s what the color blue is to me.

Blue is infinity.

photo-Kyle Gregory Devaras - unsplash - starry sky

photo-Kyle Gregory Devaras – unsplash

Steve Halama best dark blue paint color

Photo – Steve Halama – Unsplash

It is spiritual.

Markus Spiske via Unsplash

Markus Spiske via Unsplash

Dark blues are mysterious– enigmatic.

I love black and blue together (except when I hit my shins on my dishwasher door. haha)

@foemedia - Fabian Oelkers via unsplash - lunar eclipse

@foemedia – Fabian Oelkers via unsplash

blue is calming

United States at Night - via NASA

Blue is magical. Photo: via NASA. Pretty cool!

And Dramatic

No images of interiors today. But, there are dozens of images featuring rooms with deep blues in these and other posts.

Blue and white rooms

Wonderful color palette featuring blue

Beautiful blue and white rooms with inspiring architectural features

Blue and White Chinoiserie

Dark blue and black – gorgeous color scheme

Laurel?  Paint colors???

Yes, yes. :] Thank you for your patience. They are right here. All of these are by Benjamin Moore and are in the Laurel Home Paint and Palette Collection except for Hague Blue which is by Farrow and Ball.  To see the Benjamin Moore equivalents to Farrow and Ball, click here.

Six favorite shades of dark blue paint colors

The blue section in the LH Collection is the largest with 18 shades from super pale to navy. Some may wonder why I did not include the popular Benjamin Moore color, Hale Navy.

This is why.

Three years ago before the paint collection came out, I was at the High Point Furniture market and that is when I saw Deep Royal at the Dunes and Duchess booth. Well, that was it for me. It is the perfect Navy Blue.

One thing you might notice is that most of the blues have an element of warmth to them. These are not quite teal, but heading in that direction. It’s a personal preference. I suppose, I could’ve put in a nice indigo. (blue veering towards purple), but I didn’t.

What are your best dark blue paint colors? Do you have any favorites? If so, have you used them and in what room(s)? Please share in the comments.

• Patricia Lange Fischer - May 1, 2019 - 10:47 PM

I adore BM’s Soot; particularly in their Aura group’s Matte finish; used it last on a Dining Room’s accent wall with a huge modern stainless framed round mirror – stunning!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 2, 2019 - 11:20 AM

Sounds terrific Patricia! It’s one of the colors in my paint collection. Don’t know if I said that. I can’t see the post, only your comment from where I’m answering.ReplyCancel

• Mary Beth Hamilton - April 29, 2019 - 5:35 PM

Just had a bathroom vanity done in BM Polo Blue- gorgeous, deep blue bordering a tad toward black but no purple undertones, which I very much wanted to avoid.ReplyCancel

• Tsippi - April 23, 2019 - 11:27 PM

I found a beautifully made but badly faded walnut dresser in a second hand store. I paid a professional furniture painter to paint it Deep Royal and invested in some beautiful chrome hardware. My dresser is absolutely stunning and far better made than anything I could have purchased new. My bedroom is painted in Glass Slipper, and the Deep Royal looks great against it.ReplyCancel

• Laura Neibaur - April 17, 2019 - 12:46 AM

We recently painted a bedroom and closet Night Train. I know it’s got green, but it looks really blue in that lighting and I looove it. But I’m curious…when you paint a room that dark of a color, do you paint the trim too? I’ve seen a few rooms on posts where the trim was the same color and it looked so good, but what is the rest of the house? I’m loving Night Train so much I also bought van deusen and too other moody colors for rooms in the house. My favorite from has got to be the dining room though…rolling hills. Thanks for great advice! I’m saving up for your paint collection!ReplyCancel

• Caitlin - April 12, 2019 - 4:35 PM

I personally love Blue Note by BM. It’s my favorite navy. I have painted a dresser and a vanity with it and I’m in love with both pieces!ReplyCancel

• Christina - April 11, 2019 - 12:25 PM

We just painted our built-ins Gentleman’s Gray and every person at the paint store commented on how much they loved the color. It’s a wonderful navy with a green undertone.

I’m not sure how this would happen but I would love if I could get a review from Judy about the Brooke Sofa. I have been hesitant on buying it because I can’t sit on it, and it’s very frustrating that OKL doesn’t allow reviews!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 12, 2019 - 2:49 PM

Hi Christina,

She hasn’t gotten the sofa yet. However, I visited the One King’s Lane store in NYC last November and I sat in two or three pieces of Robin Bruce furniture including the Brampton chair. Everything was very comfortable. I have also heard from a couple of other readers, but can’t remember who at this point who are very happy with their Robin Bruce furniture. I have never heard or read any negative remarks whatsoever concerning her pieces.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 15, 2019 - 7:21 PM

Update from Judy who just received her Robin Bruce sofa. Here’s what she said:

Laurel, just a quick PS on our recent email communications to let you know that our Robin Bruce SLEEP SOFA (thanks to your post about guest sleeping accommodations & Options!) was just delivered. We had ordered through One Kings Lane combining THEIR discount plus YOURS! I have to admit, I never dreamed I’d buy any upholstered piece of furniture without seeing it in person or sitting on it. However this English arm velvet sofa is masterfully finished, fabric is rich and exceeds my expectations, plus the construction and comfort are amazing.

While the actual sleep sofa aspect has yet to be tested, we anticipate an equally-satisfactory outcome.

So once again, thank you SO very much for Your guidance, solid endorsement of commensurate products, and measured commentary!

You’re amazing! Kudos to you, Robin Bruce and One Kings Lane.

Judy

• Katie - April 10, 2019 - 12:36 PM

We used PPG Sheffield Grey in a matte finish in the main entrance hall of our Colonial Revival home. Our designer convinced us to embrace the “darkness” of our hallway plus it draws you into the other rooms (compress and release says Frank Lloyd Wright?). It’s so dramatic and gorgeous! We also have original wood trim on our first floor and it showcases the trim beautifully.ReplyCancel

• Janet Morrison - April 10, 2019 - 12:32 AM

I used BM New York State of Mind in a mostly white bathroom. I was looking for a true navy. It is perfect. There are times I will walk in the bathroom just to enjoy the color. Visitors just love it!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 10, 2019 - 9:44 AM

Hi Janet,

That’s another great one! Benjamin Moore has so many because they have so many fan decks!!!ReplyCancel

• Staci - April 9, 2019 - 4:43 PM

I love fb stiffkey blue …it’s the perfect blue that goes with any other lighter shade of blue and many greens and greys even reds pinks and violets. It makes for such creative palette of colors to choose from. I ended up using it as an accent color and pairing it with fb borrowed light and bm sleigh bells and bm horizon and bm chantilly lace. And doing wood trim in a wine burgundy cherry color. Stiffekey It’s a strong color though so that’s why I didn’t choose as a main color or personally I feel overwhelmed. But this deep blue to me is like a cherry on top of most anything. 😁ReplyCancel

• Pamela S Farina - April 8, 2019 - 11:10 PM

Divine Mz. L: Clever as always. Never been a fan of blue/indigo… guess I got the “got no blues” blues, but way cool radio show, you obviously have a keen ear as well as eye…ReplyCancel

• Holley JOHNSON - April 8, 2019 - 10:18 PM

We painted our master bedroom Naraganset Green after seeing it on your blog a few years ago. It reads navy due to our wall of south facing windows. Still love it!ReplyCancel

• claudia - April 8, 2019 - 7:34 PM

OMG – I am mistaken! I did more digging and it WILL mix, but ONLY, ONLY in the BM Regal Select Base 4! It won’t mix in a Matte finish, Aura or Regal. There is a BOAT LOAD of colorant in this color!!! I am very curious indeed!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 8, 2019 - 8:07 PM

Hi Claudia,

Oh, no problem! This, of course, is pretty esoteric stuff.ReplyCancel

• claudia - April 8, 2019 - 7:28 PM

Just to update you on Amalfi Navy – I have access to a current BM colorant machine, and it is unable to mix the color – from whatever manufacturer it may have come from – with the current colorants. So it used the universal colorant system rather than the acrylic that is used now for latex.ReplyCancel

• Lisa - April 8, 2019 - 5:08 PM

Hi Laurel

It get so excited when I see your email pop up in my inbox. I am making some big changes at my house in stages but started with the 3 north facing rooms, DR, with Foyer in middle and Study. I just painted a sample of Van Deusen on my walls in my study and love it and I have a Thibaut Asianic Scenic Wallpaper in the blue and green that will go above the molding in my foyer that is open to study. Not sure about painting under the chair rail with Van Deusen or leave a neutral color

My trim and cabinets all over my house are – almost Navajo White. We did not build this house and do not know for sure) . I painted White Dove on the molding next to the Van Deusen and also a Cloud White – but boy are they white compared to my trim and I am afraid too cold for the entire house. I was thinking a softer creamy color that might not turn yellow that works nicely with VanDeusen. Whatever color I pick – it will end up being the color for all the trim through the house as well as my new cabinets when I remodel the kitchen and family room in 2 years so I must pick carefully. Do you have some suggestions for trim colors lighter than Navajo and not stark white. I want to get some more samples on the wall. Thanks so much for sharing you blog.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 8, 2019 - 7:58 PM

Hi Lisa,

This could practically be a blog post. But, it’s another testament to why I do not recommend paint colors based on a description which is always way too vague. It’s like telling the doctor you have a headache. He’s not going to be able give you the answer until he sees you at the very least.

White Dove and Cloud White, on their own are in no way a stark white. But put them next to a darker color and in some lighting situations it can look surprisingly stark. And, that’s what you’re experiencing.

However, if you’re looking at the color in only one spot, you’re not seeing the color. You might’ve just happened on the very brightest spot in the entire room. Paint White Dove in a different spot and it will look perfect. That is quite possible. So, that’s assignment number one.

Maybe get a sample of Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee oc-45 which is another Laurel Home paint collection white paint color. It is a slight bit deeper than white dove, but should not go yellow. It’s a very pretty off-white.

I do recommend that you make separate samples on poster board so that you can easily move the color around. You might also consider picking up some actual moulding and have someone hold it upReplyCancel

• Teresa K - April 8, 2019 - 3:05 PM

Glidden Rich Navy — I had it mixed at Home Depot using Behr Marquee paint — painter loved the coverage. I sampled 4 “Navy” paints on each of my living room walls and noted the color at various times (for about a week) of the day before making my choice. My living room looks larger and feels so welcoming.ReplyCancel

• sandi - April 8, 2019 - 8:33 AM

Yeah…I didn’t think that through and say it right! LOL
    We have another wing in the house so I had thought maybe doing that area black/white in either the bathroom or small kitchen. (Instead of Blue).ReplyCancel

• Mary Keane - April 8, 2019 - 6:31 AM

Amalfi Navy looks a lot darker. My office was a brighter navy. There wasn’t very much wall space with all the windows, and I did white curtains, so the color really stood out. It was definitely blue not purpley, but didn’t have the teal undertones in Laurel’s palettes here on its own. More of a purer blue. Anyway, it’s probably something of an impossible task to nail down the exact color when I moved out ten years ago. But I loved it just the same!ReplyCancel

• SANDI - April 7, 2019 - 11:51 PM

Laurel…what black would you use with Deep Royal? BM Onyx?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 8, 2019 - 1:20 AM

Hi Sandi,

That’s a very good question and I think I need to clarify something. When I say that black and navy go well together, I mean that one is the wall color and the other is an accent color. So, let’s say that you have a navy wall, you could have a black console table, or a black and white painting. Or a black and white striped chair. The palette of the room extends to everything from ceiling to floor and all of the furnishings.

However, I did take a look and while Onyx would probably be fine with Deep Royal, plain old black looks quite sensational.ReplyCancel

• Jacqueline - April 7, 2019 - 11:19 PM

Ralph Lauren’s Amalfi Navy—may be discontinued now. Dark navy/indigo. Looks divine with thick white moldings and Pine wood floors.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 8, 2019 - 1:16 AM

Wow! What a coincidence, since Mary was just talking about a Ralph Lauren navy bordering on indigo. Maybe this is the color she was referring to.ReplyCancel

• Mary Keane - April 7, 2019 - 10:34 PM

I had a home office in my apartment ten years ago that was really an enclosed porch. It was painted a navy from Ralph Lauren. Looking online it was probably Club Navy. I loved it with all the windows. It was a little more indigo, but with all the trees around the light took on a warmer tinge which made the paint color perfect.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 8, 2019 - 1:16 AM

Some indigo colors are very beautiful. For me, as long as they aren’t too bright like my bedroom color was when I moved here.ReplyCancel

• Mimi Dreux - April 7, 2019 - 8:33 PM

Our iron radiators are painted to match the wall color with BM Low Lustre Metal and Wood enamel. The finish is not too shiny and has held up beautifully for nine years. BM may have changed the formula somewhat since then, but our results were superb. One tip – paint the unheated radiators in the summer so the finish will have ample time to cure.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 8, 2019 - 1:14 AM

Thanks so much for that info Mimi. I love that tip to paint in the summer.ReplyCancel

• Cindy Wellman - April 7, 2019 - 7:19 PM

I just painted a deep red dining room Sherwin Williams Naval – it looks so good that I keep going into the room just to sit and look at the color – beautiful! (I have lots of flow blue pottery in the room -perfect color to enhance the pottery)ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 8, 2019 - 1:14 AM

I love that you go in the dining room, just to enjoy the wall color. Red is one of those colors that looks so amazing at night.ReplyCancel

• Faye Brown - April 7, 2019 - 6:45 PM

Concerning decorating with artificial plants, I think my biggest concern is the artificial plants looking cheap. I have some nice blue and white pots along with some solid green pots that I love. Where can I find plants that do not look so cheap but are not so expensive?
    If you can recommend any of your blogs with this information, I would certainly most appreciative. I am still not allowed to mingle with the crowds, yet, because of the risk of infection, but I can search out items on line. Thanks!!! (I am a lot computer illiterate, so I can not send pictures or do anything complicated. I hope I used the right way to send this).ReplyCancel

• Toni - April 7, 2019 - 5:32 PM

Paint names can be very confusing. I painted my dining room Gentleman’s Grey about 5 years ago. My painter was expecting a grey (since most of my house is a pale grey) and was worried that the store had given him the wrong paint. He was very relieved when I assured him everything was fine.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 5:47 PM

Haha! I know. Lots of colors are called “gray” when they are really blue, green, violet or taupe. That’s another reason why testing is vital.ReplyCancel

• Christie - April 7, 2019 - 3:02 PM

Behr’s Winter Way is one of the most beautiful dark blues I’ve ever come across. I used it to paint a small, curvaceous and very long legged roll top desk. I painted damask designs on the upper flat sides, the top shelf and parts of the legs in Winter Way, leaving the rest a beautiful wood. After seeing that color in use, I fell in love and wanted to paint it everywhere. It quickly became my mother’s favorite color and she became the new owner of a unique desk.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 5:46 PM

Hi Christine, I checked out Winter Way and it looks quite nice. Good to know! Thank you.ReplyCancel

• Holly - April 7, 2019 - 1:54 PM

I’m particularly fond of both Scallywag and Brigand from C2. Like F&B, the colors tend to have greater depth.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 5:44 PM

Hi Holly,

I’m not familiar with that brand, but thanks for sharing.ReplyCancel

• Caroline - April 7, 2019 - 1:45 PM

So happy to see Hague Blue on your list! We painted the dining room of our townhouse Hague Blue. It gets very little light and we have heavy oak trim (which we can’t paint because it’s historic + husband won’t let us). Makes the dark wood look amazing without making the room feel dark. This is probably all the teal in the paint, which made it look much better than a straight navy in that space (which we also tested). Not surprised you didn’t find an analogue in the BM deck because it is a unique color!ReplyCancel

• Dale F Wall - April 7, 2019 - 12:24 PM

Laurel, I learned about Ben Pentreath from your blog on your England trip. I am sure you will want to join me in conveying sympathy on the death of his mother. His Inspiration Blog is so very uplifting and I live for it and yours.ReplyCancel

• Maureen - April 7, 2019 - 12:21 PM

Love dark blue on the walls. I used Mysterious by Benjamin Moore on the walls with White Dove trim and Baltic Gray in the adjacent entry way. 50% strength Baltic Gray on the ceiling. It looks great in the more formal area of my house.ReplyCancel

• Kaye Rowan - April 7, 2019 - 11:54 AM

Smiled as I read the comment from the Professor that blue is really indigo. I had a Professor tell me that there is no such color as purple. It’s violet. 🙂ReplyCancel

• Faye Brown - April 7, 2019 - 11:15 AM

Hi, I have an antique cabinet in my master bath painted the van Deusen blue and I love it. My color theme throughout my home is blue and green with pops of red and yellow. I still have a chair and some upholstery to do but thank God, I am alive to do them! I am the old lady who had a heart transplant back in December and just got home from the transplant center a few weeks ago. My passion is gardening but due to toxins in dirt, I am not able to have real plants in my home anymore as I am immune compromised. Do you have any posts concerning artificial plants in decorating. I had to give away almost two dozen house plants plus I can no longer have any on my sitting porch…..help!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 5:33 PM

Hi Faye,

Oh, how wonderful that you are home! However, I’m so sorry that you can’t partake of your passion for gardening. There are some posts that include artificial plants. I’m not sure if it’s what you’re looking for, however. Could you elaborate?ReplyCancel

• Mary Ann Shimer - April 7, 2019 - 10:54 AM

I love Blue Nose by Benjamin Moore. I saw it in the Kenneth Roberts (author) show house in Kennebunkport, Maine. It was beautiful with the antiques and captured the feeling of the sea nearby.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 11:03 AM

Hi Mary Ann,

It is so helpful to see paint colors in person. If only we could wave a magic wand and see the finished job in our home BEFORE painting. If someone can figure that one out, they’ll be a billionaire overnight!ReplyCancel

• Sherri Blum - April 7, 2019 - 10:46 AM

Hi Laurel-
    Always love your posts! I recently took a client’s late 1990’s barn red dining room and convinced her to paint it a very deep navy. The color name sounds awful, but it is gorgeous in her home. We used Soot by Benjamin Moore. Absolutely gorgeous. I’d post a photo if I could!
    Cheers!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:54 AM

Hi Sherri,

I know Soot. It’s one of my Laurel Home colors. I have it listed in the black and nearly black shades. It definitely reads more as a navy in most lights.ReplyCancel

• Michele - April 7, 2019 - 10:33 AM

I love BM Temptation 1609 – it’s almost black – very inky. I just painted our bedroom in it and I’ve paired it with a rust velvet curtain, a peachy/pink duvet cover and shams and a vibrant rug with shades of blue, pink and orange. It’s spectacular!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:56 AM

Hi Michele,

That sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing. I’d love to see that.ReplyCancel

• Christine Irizarry - April 7, 2019 - 10:15 AM

I also love Newburyport Blue for my home. Hale Navy looks black in my home’s lighting and Van Deusen is too bright. All are on the same color card. After painting all three on sample boards Newburyport Blue was the obvious choice.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:25 AM

Thanks so much Christine. This is a wonderful testament in the importance of testing in your space. Lighting makes a tremendous difference.ReplyCancel

• Kathy - April 7, 2019 - 10:13 AM

Railings by Farrow and Ball. Used for doors in Master bedroom and bath.
    I used BM and they mixed to Farrow and Ball specs. I prefer BM pearl finish to Farrow and Ball Eggshells.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:24 AM

Hi Kathy,

Oh, that’s quite interesting. Thanks so much for sharing that info.ReplyCancel

• Carla Aston - April 7, 2019 - 10:10 AM

Ah, just published one of my projects with my fave dark blue yesterday on my blog. I’ve used it in two projects now. Love the dark blues. Everyone wants a deep navy these days!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:23 AM

Hi Carla,

Another fabulous designer and friend. Sorry, I missed your post, but gorgeous, gorgeous! Anyone wanting to check it out and you should, you can see it if you click on Carla’s name.ReplyCancel

• Sharon - April 7, 2019 - 9:59 AM

You’ve spoiled me. Now I want music with every post!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:16 AM

Believe me. I was going to add more music, but then it started to feel a little much for a blog post. I fell down quite a rabbit hole on Friday revisiting some of my fave R&B/soul music from the 70s. Those were the days!ReplyCancel

• Diane J. Strickland - April 7, 2019 - 9:37 AM

I stumbled onto an excellent blue by accident–the Benjamin Moore store was closed so I had to use Home Depot. I found Night Flight by Behr and I’m loving it in a room with custom lower cabinets and shelving painted white, two limestone walls, a sloped ceiling and large windows on three walls.
    sending you a warm hug from Canada, Diane.xoReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:14 AM

Diane! Old friend. (well, not “old.” We’re the same age) ;] So wonderful hearing from you! I checked it out and it looks like a beautiful navy. Thanks so much for the rec. Always good to have great alternatives.ReplyCancel

• Shannon gardner - April 7, 2019 - 9:33 AM

I love Benjamin moore’s Polo blue. I used it on the cabinets in my butler’s pantry paired with brass hardware.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:10 AM

I just looked it up. Fabulous! Anyone reading this who’s curious can see it in many situations here. Thanks so much for sharing that, Shannon.ReplyCancel

• Maureen Byrne - April 7, 2019 - 9:29 AM

I painted my dining room Farrow and Ball Stiffkey Blue. Everyone, including my husband absolutely loves it. It is the perfect navy, warm but with significant depth, and like all Farrow & Ball paints doesn’t have the flat one colour thing.
    Stiffkey Blue looks lovely with all my Chinese porcelain.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:08 AM

Hi Maureen,

If I had done nine colors, Stiffkey Blue was on the list. There are so many great ones!ReplyCancel

• Deborah - April 7, 2019 - 9:17 AM

Love Starry Night.ReplyCancel

• Claudia - April 7, 2019 - 9:10 AM

Laurel, or anyone else interested in art history, if you have 20 minutes to listen to this podcast titled “Blue” I think you will find it very interesting. The history of the discovery of blue pigment (6 thousand years after the first cave paintings), artistic obsession by the masters, and a meditation on the meaning and feeling it invokes. https://www.thisislovepodcast.com/episode-10-blueReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for that Claudia. I have read some articles and was considering linking to one of them, but felt that for this post, it was better to leave it out. So, I appreciate your linking to the podcast. I’ll look forward to listening to it.ReplyCancel

• Kimberly Wright - April 7, 2019 - 9:09 AM

Loved the post! Blue is my favorite color! I have it in some shade for form in nearly every room in our home. I too appreciate dark blues with warmth, veering towards teal. In 2005, we painted the office off the master suite Newburyport Blue and I never tired of it. So much so, that when we moved and renovated a 1917 Craftsman in 2015, we painted the office a 50/50 mix of Van Deusen and Newburyport. I carried that onto the ceiling of the living room 2 rooms away, because it matches the velvet sofa. The walls and ceiling of the master bath, above white wainscoting,
    are the same color because it matches the blue glass tiles (above white tile wainscoting) in the shower. The master has white curtains and a table skirt with dark blue trim (on North Shore Green-pale mint walls), with blue and white ginger jar lamps and a dark blue dresser. I also had built-in beds built in the attic/boys room, which are painted Hale Navy (on Stonington Gray walls), mainly to see what the Hale Navy fuss is all about. While not dark blues, my love of blue continues on the dining room walls and kitchen cabinets, with Wedgewood Gray. The kitchen ceiling and adjoining mudroom are Woodlawn Blue. And we just painted a daughter’s bedroom and built-in cabinets November Skies, with a dark blue rug. (All Benjamin Moore colors) Goodness I love blue!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 10:03 AM

Thanks so much for sharing all of your great colors Kimberly! Sounds gorgeous!ReplyCancel

• Julianna Mathers - April 7, 2019 - 9:08 AM

Laurel thank you!! How did you know I was about to paint my little powder room Navy?!? Thank you once again for your impeccable guidance! I love all the images, Audrey and The Blues. What a delightful post. ❤️ReplyCancel

• Pat - April 7, 2019 - 9:04 AM

I am so addicted to your blog and wish I had found you 40 years ago. I paint all my own rooms because I’m very particular about the edging from wall to trim. I have a question about paint. All the SW and BM high end paint say they cover in one coat. I have found that statement to be untrue. I use a 3/8″ roller nap on smooth walls. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I live in a 1890 house with all plain cast iron radiators. Should the radiators match the wall color (even if the walls are done in a flat finish) or should they be done in semi gloss to match the trim? Thank you for all your insight and keep up the great work!
    PatReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:59 AM

Hi Pat,

Thanks so much but, 40 years ago, I was a newly transplanted New Yorker from the midwest who had just gotten her first dancing gig on a cruise ship. I didn’t know diddly squat about paint colors.

And, no. You’re not doing anything wrong. They’re lying. I’ve never been able to cover anything in one coat unless it’s the same color, or nearly so, underneath.ReplyCancel

• Pat - April 7, 2019 - 9:03 AM

I’ve used BM Old Navy as the “flow” color throughout my new house and I love it. It’s on the walls above white ship lap in my entry and dining room, wall to ceiling in my powder room with brass trim and fixtures, and the master & guest bathroom cabinets were painted to match. I found vintage brass handles & knobs and the cabinets remind me of a blue blazer with brass buttons. It looks nearly black in some lights and surprisingly blue in others. Love it!ReplyCancel

• Sandi - April 7, 2019 - 8:39 AM

Love this post! I am fixing to remodel and I have been wanting to go the black/blue color scheme so bad!! This post just confirmed it for me! Thank you!!
    I have never considered Deep Royal. I was going with Hale Navy…but I like Deep Royal much better with black I think!!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:52 AM

Hi Sandi,

Deep Royal and black are stunning together! I’ve often mentioned a home I saw about 15 years ago that was navy, black, white (but mostly just the kitchen.) And brown for some of the furniture and floor stain. Incredible! I so wish I had photos.ReplyCancel

• Mary E - April 7, 2019 - 8:35 AM

Good morning, Laurel.
    The particular navy blue color that I’ve used is BM Newburyport Blue.
    It’s from the historical colors HC-155. It has a lot of grey in it & it was the first navy I found that didn’t have a purple or green undertone.
    I’ve used it in our guest bath & bedroom. I love it!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:50 AM

Thanks so much Mary! Love Newburyport Blue, too. It was on my short-list for dark blues when I created the LH paint collection. Alas, there were some painful eliminations, but it doesn’t mean that they aren’t great colors.ReplyCancel

• Margaret - April 7, 2019 - 8:30 AM

Stunning photos Laurel. I love deep blue rooms. I have used three of those colours you have posted above; all beautiful. I paint a lot of furniture and often use deep blues, followed up with a wax finish that has a bit of brown in it. The Hague blue is particularly nice for this. I painted a boys room once in Hudson Bay blue. Beautiful. HE loved it. One thing I find to keep in mind when choosing dark blues, is to not be afraid of the depth of colour. The paint chip makes it look super dark but once the colour is actually on the wall and the light is reflecting off it, you really want it to be saturated and not wimpy. I also recently painted a hallway/stairway in Sherwin Williams Rainwash – It is a beautiful complex blue/teal. Then the stair risers were done in BM Miramachi. Looks fantastic.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:48 AM

That is a great point about the light reflecting on the wall making it appear lighter than it does on the chip. So true!ReplyCancel

• Catherine Forneri - April 7, 2019 - 8:21 AM

Your posts about color are some of my favorites so I am very happy to see this one about dark blue. Especially since blue is the most difficult color for me to get “right”. I have twice tried a dark blue and was unhappy with the result both times so I have just avoided it.
    Glad you pointed out the lean toward teal, rather than purple. Good to know. I have a feeling my lean is toward purple but I need to think about that.
    Love your blog Laurel.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:46 AM

Hi Catherine,

I’ve come to realize with paint colors that it’s not always the color that’s at fault when one isn’t happy with the result, but what it’s paired with. I tried to link to the posts that discuss dark paint colors in general. Those rules apply to navy as well.ReplyCancel

• Elizabeth - April 7, 2019 - 8:06 AM

Hi Laurel!
    Love your blog and that we both grew up in Evansville! I used Van Deusen blue in our south facing library / den. The room has lots of dark warm wood and VD looks amazing. I’ve decorated with blue and white chinoiserie and a cream and gold mirrored accent table. We have 2 Kelly green velvet club chairs with navy welt and a cream colored sofa. This is my favorite room in the house and it doesn’t give me the blues at all!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:43 AM

Hi Elizabeth,

Van Deusen is another great one. Oh, there are so many! Fond memories of my childhood in E’ville. Or as I like to say: “You can take the girl out of the corn, but you can’t take the corn out of the girl!” hahaReplyCancel

• Kimberly Hirsh - April 7, 2019 - 8:01 AM

Thank you Laurel for the wonderful blue photos. Great way to start my day! I painted my family room a BM Affinity color called Fiji and it’s paired with medium to dark woods and a few pops of orange and red in the art. Fiji’s LRV is just a little lighter than your selections here. It’s my evening nesting room and I love it!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:41 AM

Hi Kimberly,

I’ve found that some of those slightly lighter tones will still look navy or almost; especially at night. Thanks so much for sharing!ReplyCancel

• Cheryl Kees Clendenon - April 7, 2019 - 7:58 AM

Love the deep and moody blues!:-) One of my favorites is BM Mysterious- we have used on ceilings and is striking yet oddly very neutral. Used in kitchens too!

We used gentleman’s gray on our Silestone and Kohler concept kitchen and we get daily calls about that color. A fave of mine too!

Another that is really almost black but with deep blue undertones is BM witching hour- using it in a project now and excited to see how it turns out!

I was intrigued by this post because do not see many agree with me on the deep blues “yet not navy” color being so much more sexy and well-“ mysterious” 😂

Despite all of our coastal work- I try and limit the typical blues associated with the coast in favor of deeper hues. Even if brighter can still be more exciting than plain “turquoise” or “navy”.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:39 AM

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks so much for all of your recs! For those who don’t know Cheryl, she is one of my super-talented interior design colleagues and does the most awesome kitchens. Please check out her website by clicking on her name.ReplyCancel

• Ivis - April 7, 2019 - 7:44 AM

Thank you for this! I painted my dining room Hale Navy and love it (blue is my favorite color). I’m glad to hear I can use black with navy, I was wondering! Just one problem–there are gray marks on the wall that I don’t know how to get rid of–dust? I think you’ve addressed this problem but I couldn’t find the right search terms. I also love Rothko so thanks for the gorgeous painting.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:37 AM

Hi Ivis,

The phenomenon you are referring to is called “chalking” in the biz. It happens when something, clothing, skin, etc rub against a dark wall with a matte or flat finish. It should come off pretty easily with a damp rag. It is not a stain. However, if you use an egg shell or satin finish, it shouldn’t happen. However, with satin, there will definitely be a sheen on the wall.ReplyCancel

• Janet Knowlton - April 7, 2019 - 6:45 AM

Well I am obsessed with Hale Navy! It was a hard decision to pick a Navy as so many tended to be towards the teal or purple color I did not want.We just did a major renovation and i painted my new kitchen island Hale Navy and it is stunning. The rest of the kitchen is white, white cabinets and marble counters. I also used Hale Navy in the bathroom off the kitchen near the kitchen but only on wainscoting. The walls are white. In my opinion, if you are looking for a true Navy then Hale Navy is it.ReplyCancel

• pat - April 7, 2019 - 5:54 AM

Great post! I love all the Blues you listed but can honestly say I don’t really know Hague Blue but for sure I am going to check it out! I painted my front doors Deep Royal and I have to agree with you – it is a perfect Navy. One of my other favorites is Newburyport Blue –
    Thanks Laurel – enjoy the day 💙ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:32 AM

Hi Pat,

Yes, Newburyport Blue is another great one. Please enjoy your day too!ReplyCancel

• Ginger - April 7, 2019 - 5:40 AM

I love a good navy room! In our last house I had the dining room painted Martha Stewart Wrought Iron, which sounds like it would be almost black but was a good deep navy. Everyone who came to our home loved that room!
    In our current house I’m debating painting the den or downstairs guest bathroom in a dark blue. And actually for the bathroom I was hoping for a navy that was almost teal so I am
    Definitely going to get samples of one or two of these to throw on the wall.
    Thanks as always for a great post!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:31 AM

Hi Ginger,

I know. Names of paint colors can be so misleading. In addition, I do believe that some paint colors are popular only because of their name. Which of these would you choose? Chocolate Mousse or Baby Barf Beige? Same color. ;]ReplyCancel

• Amanda - April 7, 2019 - 3:34 AM

It’s funny that this post happens to show up in my email notifications this am since I am finishing painting my master bedroom in Hague Blue. I had see the color online and thought it was one of the most beautiful dark blues I had ever laid eyes on. It took me awhile to commit to this color and for awhile I had a rainbow of paint swatches on my wall. My bedroom is north facing with two windows that are (IMO) too small for the space. I also happen to live in a log cabin and in this bedroom I have rounded log walls that were stained that dark brown color that was so popular in the 80’s when the place was built. The rest is dry walled (with ugly tan paint). My vaulted ceiling has exposed beams (dark brown as well) and tongue in groove boards (more of a honey oak color). I was so scared when I first started painting this color, but I absolutely love it and kick myself for not just committing to it a long time ago instead of suffering with the horrible depressing tan. I actually hated all the wood because it just so boring with the previous paint color but man…Hague blue looks so pretty next to the wood now with some metallic accents thrown in to reflect the light The room is now my oasis. I love your blog. Thank you.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 7, 2019 - 9:13 AM

Thank you Amanda. I too love Hague Blue. Even though I matched up the Benjamin Moore colors, there wasn’t an exact match for Hague. I think it’s a perfect navy for a north facing room. But, please for others, always, always test first! And yes, dark rooms love metallic accents and mirrors, too.ReplyCancel

• Bianca - April 7, 2019 - 2:56 AM

The hippo begs to differ with you.ReplyCancel