Window Treatments For Difficult Windows + What You Must Never Do

Recently I got a real “Dear Laurel letter.” Well, actually, it was a comment. She has difficult windows.

Well, a difficult window situation. I asked her to send me a photo because it sparked an idea for a post.

Sometimes. No wait. Not sometimes. Frequently, in newer homes I have no idea what the architect was thinking. Clearly, he wasn’t thinking; not about window treatments. However, even if he wasn’t, there is much that is not-that-great design-wise.

This home is very lovely, but there is the issue with this window.

big window (1)

She was a little nervous because I had said never to hang the drapes below the transom.  First of all, I guess I should say “almost never.”

This is a situation where we have two transoms. It’s funny because this is the kitchen and it seems like maybe this was built at a different time?

kitchen

But the window in the great room is a problem child for sure. But not a big problem. I made a little graphic to show two different options.

big window shorter drapes

big window drapes

The third option would be to go all the way up, but the sharp angle of the ceiling means the rod would have to come in further and I think it would look cramped and weird.

I vote for option number 2. It balances out the large transoms and creates more drama.

Is option number 1 a mistake? No, it’s not a mistake but it’s not helping anything either.

Let’s look at some other difficult windows

Some of these were handled beautifully. And some well…

transom windows

marisa lafiosca interiors difficult windowsMarisa Lafiosca

billy roberts atlanta homes lifestylesBilly Roberts via Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles

Wonderful treatment in this library. I love the layering of the treatment for light control.

luxesource.com difficult windowsLuxe

Great solution for a large window with French doors and then a smaller window.

susan bednar long difficult windowsSusan Bednar

Beautiful living room. Sometimes the crown moulding can be a challenge, but it looks like they got it just right.

d98ad9fef0ac987dfb7a48f24b54128fThey didn’t get it just right.
I would’ve been fine with a little Roman shade layered over the blinds.

Palladian and arched windows.

These are very often troublesome for obvious reasons.

Design-by-Jane-Lockhart Difficult WindowsJane Lockhart

Perfect.

chris holt interiors difficult windows window treatmentsChris Holt

This is an especially challenging situation. We have a corner and a Palladian window that doesn’t follow the natural line.

The solution is to hang the side drapes and follow that line along the back wall.

sejour-luxe-hotel-particulier-parisHotel Particulier

Normally, I’d like a little wider panel flanking these doors, but the simple panel seems to understand that it is not the star of the show. Nosiree! Not when you have these exquisite French doors and arched transoms.

arched windows difficult windowsoriginal source unknown

This is a good example of a rod that logically goes over the arched windows.

8a685a6e2a50e924256b56dbae55068f

No. I would’ve run the rod across like the one above. And please no scary hooky things.

CIMG5277

No. Please. No. I wouldn’t have done any drapes here, unless perhaps it was possible to go above the arch.
And no truncated rods! I never saw this until a few years ago. It’s so bizarre, IMO. The drapes should look like they can close even if they don’t. And please move the painting over so the drapes aren’t eating it.

KIPSBAY-markham roberts difficult windows

This is from Markham Roberts’s fabulous room at the Kip’s Bay Showhouse. His window treatment is beyond glorious. And he used a panel and a half which even if the drapes are not meant to close is the appropriate amount of fabric for this size window and ceiling height. I met Jamie on the Design Bloggers Tour last fall. Super nice guy and obviously, supremely talented. He was unveiling a line of furniture for Theodore Alexander.

corner windows

anne-decker-difficult windows corner window

I adore this room but I would love to see double the amount of fabric on this window. It doesn’t even look to be a full panel.

anne-decker-difficult-windows

It looks great on the other windows. The fabric looks heavy and rich.

super tall windows

Cleveland-Park-Wentworth-2_0Wentworth Studio

Great job for this contemporary living room.

interior designer,Phoebe Howard can do no wrong.

bay windows

meredith-heron-living-room-neo-traditionalMeredith Heron

One of my fave living rooms ever! I think Mer has redecorated it since this was taken. I met her last spring and found out the room is only 9 feet wide!

mc-living-room-setteeThis one’s mine. (if you don’t remember)

This is a bay window with a deep sill so the drapes have to be mounted in front. When we measured for the drapes, (I needed Mario’s assistance for this one), we didn’t realize until the valance came down that there was NO PLACE to put our rod. It’s difficult to see here, but the window frame and opening was flush with the ceiling! Fortunately, we had time and the builder created a 4″ soffit for us to hang our drapes on! It looks so much better too!

***Note to self: Insist on the window treatments coming down if at all possible before measuring. I probably won’t, but I should.

small windows

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 1.32.03 PMJennifer Reynolds

Can’t tell you how much I love this!

This is obviously a basement room with tiny little slits for windows.

They put up some silhouette shades and drapes and then created “windows” with art. Brilliant!

windows of different heights

130416b_+34984_SS

Exquisite room by Patricia McLean for the Atlanta Symphony Showhouse. I’m sure she wanted to shoot the architect. When you look at this image it looks weird, but then below it makes sense because there’s at least one other door with a transom. I think she did a great job with what she had to work with. It’s not that the room is an architectural failure. It’s not. It’s gorgeous, but I wish that the architects would take into consideration the fact that we are going to want to put up drapes.

IMG_1062-Edit_SS

4820f043314fc80553a48897b86e6cba

Here, I would’ve left off the drapes and just put Roman shades on the doors. But I’m not faulting the designer. Again, the architecture is not helping.

windows too close to the fireplace

dining-room-mock-up-of-window-treatments-draperies-and-roman-shades-1addicted 2 decorating

I love what Kristi has done here and especially that she has combined drapes and Roman shades. Since the windows on the right are different from the windows on the fireplace wall, this is a viable option. In so doing, it breaks up the sameness and makes the fireplace wall that much more of a focal point.

***

Story Time

About 16 years ago I had a client who had built her home and had been in it for about 10 years. I did her living room. There was a lovely fireplace in the living room but the windows flanking it were 1 inch away from the mantel.

One inch.

Nobody caught it. There was a good three feet on the other side of each window.  If the windows were 18″ over the windows would’ve been a good distance from the FIRE and centered.

We did drapes pulled back to the opposite sides and it really helped create the illusion that the windows were not so close.

via shine your light blogjpg

Soft pretty eating area. Here, I would’ve done drapes with a ROD on the window on the left and then Roman Shades out of the same fabric over the built in area.

daun currey difficult windowsDaun Curry

This is a woman with nerves of steel (or else some really good prescription drugs) ;] and an AMAZING workroom. Think about what it took to pull this baby off!

And a Greek Key to boot!

Okay, I’m sure I’ve missed some goodies out there. I know I have, because there are a zillion difficult situations. Please share in the comments anything that you’ve encountered.

For some other hideous decorating mistakes I’ve made, please click here.

LaurelPS: I’d like to make a public apology to someone who is a lovely designer and blogger.

I unknowingly posted an image of hers and said some disparaging things and I feel quite badly about it.

However, the image is gone. I need to be more careful in the future.

• Diana - May 18, 2017 - 6:41 AM

Wow, I really loved looking at all of these great designs. We have been wanting to look into new windows and window treatments for a while now. Thanks for sharing this.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 18, 2017 - 2:00 PM

Your welcome Diana! There’s a companion piece called Roman Shades weren’t built in a day. And also another one about difficult windows. I’m under the 8 ball right now, but if you put in window treatments in the search box, they should all pop up.ReplyCancel

• Scottsdale Sunscreens - February 13, 2017 - 2:38 PM

Great tips and advice, thanks for posting. I also work with window treatments. ReplyCancel

• Mia - January 9, 2017 - 8:44 PM

We have an end unit that has a bedroom with large corner windows. However, one part of the window is a lot wider than the other side of the window. We have already put top-down bottom up shades on them but am wondering if we should put up curtains to soften the look of the room or keep it as is? If drapes are recommended, how should they be put up?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 9, 2017 - 10:41 PM

Hi Mia,

I recommend getting some professional help. I’m not able to help with personal design decisions in the comments and can’t in any case, because I can’t see what’s going on. I hope that you’ll understand.ReplyCancel

• Deanna - January 7, 2017 - 7:24 PM

I have a newly built house with four window, two that flank the fire place (about 9 inches away from fireplace and then two that are in the corner, but all four are close together. Since it’s in the family room, I really love the idea of curtains to warm up the room, but I am hesitant as I don’t know if I have enough space for the curtain stack back. My thought was bamboo shades w/ white drapey puddle fabric but maybe that would look strange since I cannot use much material on either side of the window? I can take a picture if that helps. Thank you so much! I have avoided getting window treatments for 18+ months now because it gives me anxiety. Not sure what to do!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 7, 2017 - 7:52 PM

Hi Deanna,

For this, you’ll definitely need to work with someone who’s work you like. There’s so much involved here that it goes beyond what I’m able to do for a comment. ReplyCancel

• Deana - January 8, 2017 - 1:01 PM

Okay, thank you!ReplyCancel

• Kim - November 29, 2016 - 10:42 AM

Love this blog!!!

If you have time could you comment on drapes on windows that have a radiator cover in front of the window. My particular covers are an inch longer on each side than the window sill. To hang the drapes in the correct place over the window trim forces the drape to hit the radiator cover. I am not a fan of ones I have seen in homes that”drape” over the covers in dramatic fashion.
    So frustrating!

Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - November 29, 2016 - 11:52 AM

Hi Kim,

Ahhh… the dreaded radiator cover and that goes for baseboard heating too, to some extent. First of all, the radiator cover should not extend past the window sill. How crazy is that? I’m assuming there is no option to change that, but that is my first thought. Assuming it cannot be changed, I don’t know how deep it is.

One option would be to do a tie back drape. (I prefer hold backs that hold the drapes back.) That will keep the drape over the window casing which must be covered or will look strange, but on the other side of the radiator cover.

Over the radiator is an option, but only if it’s no more than about 8″ deep. An extra deep bracket can be used for the drapes, but a return is essential, or better yet a valance and maybe a Roman shade underneath the drape. That will help justify the extra deep bracket. If you don’t know those terms, please consult with a professional workroom or designer.

Or, you could do Roman shades and skip the drapes altogether. That would be the least expensive way to handle this situation.ReplyCancel

• Jamie - August 28, 2016 - 3:33 PM

These are all wonderful. Love the greek key treatment.. Do you have any suggestions for sliding glass doors when here isn’t much wall space on either side? I’m stumped!
    ThanksReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - August 28, 2016 - 11:18 PM

Hi Jamie,

Thanks. I guess you’ll have to cover up some glass, but since I can’t see the situation, it’s difficult to say.

Sometimes, the architecture really works against us!ReplyCancel

• Alice L Sadleir - June 7, 2016 - 11:15 AM

Always looking for new ideas….

• Elliot - April 20, 2016 - 1:27 PM

Hi, Laurel.
    You have addressed several difficult windows, but what would you suggest for attic windows? If the side walls slope down and make it impossible to run a rod above the window casing, is there an option other than Roman shades?
    Thanks.ReplyCancel

• Kim - July 20, 2016 - 5:47 PM

How about a swing arm rod, where you only have to install one bracket on the side of the window that is not at the angled ceiling? The rod and curtain will swing over to cover window.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 20, 2016 - 9:04 PM

I had a client who had this on two small windows flanking a fireplace. The rod was there but there was a grandmother-type shirred polyester thing. I replaced it with a wool share which had a pocket at the top and bottom and it looked terrific!

I think you are talking about something else and I’m too inundated to check it out right now. Normally, I probably wouldn’t recommend them for a heavier drape. Or at least I’m not familiar enough with that to know if it would work well.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 20, 2016 - 1:52 PM

I think you would need to do some kind of shade. It could also be a roller shade, solar shade, or a natural material shadeReplyCancel

• Holly Blackorby - April 4, 2016 - 1:31 PM

I’m a homeowner not a designer. However, I have learned SO MUCH from this “mistakes” blog. It’s also nice to have confirmation that I did the living room correctly! Yay! (I also always laugh my b#!! off! You are such a pleasure!)ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 4, 2016 - 11:45 PM

Hi Holly,

I got three similar but not identical messages comments from you. Maybe you thought they didn’t go through? Glad that there’s info here you found to be helpful!ReplyCancel

• Holly Blackorby - April 4, 2016 - 1:18 PM

I’m a homeowner, not a designer. However I have learned so much from this “mistakes” blog. And, it’s nice to have confirmation I did the living room right! Yay! Please keep it coming! (I also laugh my @$$ off . . . thank you for letting us know you are actually a human too.)ReplyCancel

• Sydney - March 31, 2016 - 12:54 PM

I enjoyed your posts. I like the way you did the graphic with the two different lengths of window treatments. It really showed the different look. Can you tell me what you use to do that?

Thanks..SydneyReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 2, 2016 - 10:48 AM

Hi Sydney,

I use a free program called Pic Monkey. Yes, there’s a little monkey and sometimes he winks at you. ;] I call it photoshop for smart dummies.

There is a paid version to, if you don’t want to see ads and have more options. It’s not expensive.ReplyCancel

• Kim - March 31, 2016 - 11:52 AM

Hi Laurel, another fantastic, informative post! Thank you!
    I’d love to know what you’d do with a bow window when you want to keep the light but cover the view on the bottom 2/3. Mine has 12 panes (4 across x 3 down), and if only the top row of 4 were left uncovered there would still be light, privacy, and a view of only treetops and sky, it could be perfect. If plantation shutters or shades are used on the bottom 2/3, what does one do to soften the straight, hard lines of the window trim at top?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 2, 2016 - 10:46 AM

Hi Kim,

I may be doing a follow-up post since I’ve had a few other responses about difficult situations.ReplyCancel

• Sandy - March 31, 2016 - 9:43 AM

Ditto to all the underlying curses to architects who don’t think about window treatments! I’ve got three rooms with bad windows…obviously enjoyed reading your post!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 2, 2016 - 10:45 AM

Hi Sandy,

It’s very common unfortunately. Thanks for stopping by!ReplyCancel

• Lindsay Frucci - March 31, 2016 - 8:40 AM

First, I love your blog! I’m a “serial renovator” (we are on our 12th house…) with a passion for houses and decorating. My husband and I have just purchased a post and beam house in SW CT and are in the midst of doing some major re-working. I’m discovering that renovating a post and beam home comes with lots of new challenges (no sheetrock ceilings – hence no recessed lighting for one!). I have one huge design challenge that ties into today’s post. Drapes… I have three 8′ sliders along the back wall of our living room that are framed – tightly – on three sides by massive beams. I want drapes that will close if possible, but I’m just not sure how to do it. I’m not sure if I can send you a pic in this comment but I’ll try. If I succeed, please know that the gross black track lights along the beams are going. As is the patio furniture that serves as seating so my workmen can eat their lunch in comfort!
    Any guidance you might be able to offer would be GREATLY appreciated!!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 2, 2016 - 10:44 AM

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for stopping by. I’ll see what I can do. I might be doing a follow-up post.ReplyCancel

• Terri Ogletrer - March 31, 2016 - 8:17 AM

My brother’s wife sent me your blog and he had seen it and enjoyed it ! I have a window treatment design business in Marietta ,Georgia and I look forward to your blogs now ! I so agree with your suggestions and love the way you talk about them !!! Thank you !!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 2, 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hi Terri,

It’s especially lovely because you are in the window treatment biz. Glad you liked the post!ReplyCancel

• Sophia - March 31, 2016 - 7:10 AM

Hi Laurel! Such a timely post as I’m getting ready to help a friend with some tricky windows in a condo she just bought.

Your post made me think of my own tricky windows, however. I, too, have a deeply set bay in my living room, with a soffit in front of it. I’d been considering running drapes along the soffit and was tickled to see how lovely it is in your home.

However, I keep thinking about what to do with the space in the bay, behind the soffit (and similar to your layout, behind my couch). Do you have anything in your space, or have you left it all open? It seems like such a special place not to use in some way, but I could be convinced to let it go.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 2, 2016 - 10:39 AM

Hi Sophia,

That’s my client’s home, not mine. They do sometimes have some flowering plants in the space. And that looks lovely.ReplyCancel

• Susan Silverman - March 31, 2016 - 6:11 AM

Great post as usual! Some very noteworthy solutions to some difficult applications!ReplyCancel

• Sally - March 31, 2016 - 12:47 AM

Laurel, this is a great post. I am a workroom and I cannot tell you how many times we have advised against hanging the rod below the arched window, which to me is the star of the show. Your post is so well done, thank you. Another lovely thing you suggest is to not be afraid to mix the type of treatments in a room, as in a great room/ kitchen combo, putting Romans in the kitchen and panels in great room. They are unified by the same fabric. Love your blog, ps you are the only blog I subscribe to……😊ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 31, 2016 - 1:16 AM

Thanks Sally! That means a lot–especially coming from a workroom!

• Massey - March 30, 2016 - 9:49 PM

Hi Laurel
    You are singing my pain with this post. I have extra tall windows with arches and a transom that are 3 inches from the fire. They are in my living room I have just sat and stared at them for the past 6 months. I my kitchen/breakfast the only window I have is a giant arched window that follows the peak of the ceiling. I am so overjoyed you have given me permission to hang the drapes at the transom! Time to break out the champagne!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 31, 2016 - 12:52 AM

Hi Massey,

Glad that the post gave you inspiration. I know it can be difficult! ReplyCancel

• Danielle - March 30, 2016 - 9:39 PM

I agree 100% with all your comments! And what in heaven’s name are builders and architects THINKING???? A double transom with a Palladian??? Mercy! You know that probably most of the builders out there haven’t had a day of art/design history–at least their designs say so.

Can’t remember how I found your blog but it is fantastic and your photo selection is awesome–you always have shots I’ve never seen before!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 31, 2016 - 12:50 AM

Thank you Danielle. Yes, it’s always been a frustration. It wasn’t that long ago that I would go in some homes and there was no place to put the “old fashioned” TV. Remember those?

Windows on top of windows! Once I suggested that they cover up two windows (out of 20) so that she could either have cabinets or built-ins flanking her fireplace. She looked at me like I had just told her to strip and go streaking down the street!ReplyCancel

• Elizabeth - March 30, 2016 - 9:38 PM

We built our house and I have been trying not to drop expletives as I go to do window treatments. With an architect and custom builder I didn’t give window treatments a second thought, however my kitchen windows are very large squares (56 in cube x 2) they face an intense west sun and are the ONLY Windows in the kitchen. I really need to do a solar shade so as not to live in a dark cave and was going to put a Roman shade or foe Roman shade over however the fabric I love is only 54 in wide 😡. Bedroom windows only have 2 in from the wall so an outside mount is no bueno. I have been living with paper blinds for over a year because I can’t commit to anything!ReplyCancel

• Frances - March 31, 2016 - 1:19 PM

Another solution is banding on three sides(a contrast fabric at the sides and bottom of the shade). It is usually about 2″ or 3″ wide but it depends on scale of the pattern in the fabric, the window, and the rest of the room. It allows you to use a fabric narrower than the window and can look terrific! Sometimes the band is just don on the sides. There are lots of photos at Houzz.com by typing in “banded roman shades” and clicking on the “banded roman shades in photos” link.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 2, 2016 - 2:11 PM

Yes, that is another solution. Not a fan of houzz, however, since they have clearly exploited designers.

I think you need to start your own blog to share your wonderful ideas!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 31, 2016 - 12:47 AM

Hi Elizabeth,

I do have a solution when the fabric isn’t wide enough for the window. You can have your workroom add another piece to each end and cover the seam with either a plain or a decorative trim. I’m attaching and image to give you an idea of what I’m talking about. http://www.atticmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/dec-hode-win-roman2-435.jpgReplyCancel

• Elizabeth - March 31, 2016 - 8:58 AM

Thank you SO much!! I have been in a real pickle !ReplyCancel

• Sally - March 31, 2016 - 12:37 AM

Elizabeth, a good workroom can make Romans for your windows. A seam will be made at both sides of the 54″ panel, and made as wide as you need. Tricky if it is an operable Roman, (not impossible) but would work nicely if it was a faux Roman. Please find a great workroom near you, and get the treatment you want.ReplyCancel

• Elizabeth - March 31, 2016 - 8:58 AM

Thank you SO much!! I have been in a real pickle !ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 31, 2016 - 12:53 AM

Hi Sally,

Too funny! We must’ve both been writing to Elizabeth at the same time! And we gave her pretty much the same advice. High five!ReplyCancel

• Pravin - March 30, 2016 - 9:30 PM

Hi Lauren,
    we decided to put curtains that stop just below the window sill in my son’s bedroom (we had no choice because of the room layout….). we put solid blue in there, hung close to the ceiling, and now, because it visually breaks the room in half, it looks kind of dumb! in this case, should we break the rules and position the rod just above the window sill so there is wall space above and below the drape? or go for a patterned drape…? thanks in advance!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 31, 2016 - 12:39 AM

Hi Pravin,
      You bring up a great point in that short drapes, which I only will do in a kid’s room should not be hung high for the reason you stated. But no one told you, so how are you supposed to know?

I haven’t done them in a while but I think we often hung them right on the window casing. I’m assuming they are on a rod. If that doesn’t work for some reason, then right above the window is also fine.ReplyCancel

• Pravin - March 31, 2016 - 12:09 PM

thank you thank you! glad my hunch was right 🙂ReplyCancel

• Pravin - March 30, 2016 - 9:31 PM

I meant *Laurel* — apologies!!!!ReplyCancel

• Pam Bartholomew - March 30, 2016 - 9:17 PM

Thanks Laurel. Always so interesting and educational.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 30, 2016 - 9:21 PM

Hi Pam,
      Thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed the post.ReplyCancel

• First timer - March 30, 2016 - 9:13 PM

My first comment! I’ve been reading for a while and am thoroughly enjoying learning more about decorating with your sense of humor infused through the posts. I wish I could post photos; I am another person with a home that has one of those situations where one of your rules re: window treatments has to be broken. My very cool mid century modern has floor to ceiling (and wall to wall) windows (lower set 7′ with a 2′ transom above) and the width of the window frame is so narrow there’s no way you could mount brackets for a rod. Also, there are unusual panels that cover louvered “windows” next to some of the actual windows, which make window treatments so much more difficult since they need to open. Anyways, I think this is a major candidate for track mounts, which is what the previous owners had installed. I totally did not realize that buying a unique house would make window treatments so difficult, and I have so much more respect for decorators now that I’m realizing what a giant pain some kinds of architecture are to make look right!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 30, 2016 - 9:21 PM

Hi Someone! Great name! haha! Yes, it sounds like your only solution is a ceiling track. Whenever I’m really stuck, I google it to see what others have done. Or do a search on pinterest.ReplyCancel

• Debbie - March 30, 2016 - 9:12 PM

This is such a timely post for me! We live in a 1930’s Cape. Our bedroom has 4 different sized windows and I couldn’t figure out how to use window treatments there. Nice to see using a mix of drapes and shades is OK. Thanks so much…ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 30, 2016 - 9:18 PM

Hi Debbie,

There are so many challenges we’re presented with. I usually try to keep to only two different treatments, like drapes and Roman Shades. ReplyCancel

• Cathlin - March 30, 2016 - 9:03 PM

Pinned, I pinned this so hard!ReplyCancel

• Jil Sonia Interiors - March 30, 2016 - 9:01 PM

Great post. The yellow and Navy room was done by Jennifer Reynolds, of Jennifer Reynolds interiors! Please credit her if you can, thank you! http://jenniferreynoldsinteriors.com/ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 30, 2016 - 9:16 PM

Hi Jil,

Thank you so much! I just went in and changed it. I looked and looked and came up empty. It’s really a shame that everyone doesn’t credit. Then it wouldn’t be so difficult sometimes. ReplyCancel

• Lori Young - March 30, 2016 - 8:26 PM

Hi Laurel! Great info on “difficult” windows. I do have to admit to you that I went against one of your “No, No’s” and used truncated rods. When we moved into our home, the previous owner had nice drapes on all the windows in the breakfast room, great room, hallway and dining room (these rooms can all be seen from one another and between them have 12 windows and 3 sets french doors!). The windows have white wood blinds, so the drapes were not ever closed. What drove me nuts is that there were curtain rods EVERYWHERE and it looked so messy. The “stubby” rods sure cleaned things up! I agree with you that the drapes SHOULD look like they close even if you don’t close them, and that is the rule I have always followed, but I guess I broke my rule too!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 30, 2016 - 8:32 PM

Hi Lori,

Ya know… I break my own rules too! haha! I have drapes from Pottery Barn that came with my place in my bedroom. It’s the orphan child I guess. I need to do something about it soon.ReplyCancel