As an interior designer, there are so many colors and looks that I love. Maybe that’s why I am drawn to this type of work in the first place. I only have one living room, but over the years, I’ve helped dozens of people create their own unique spaces. Therefore, I get to do lots of different styles which is a lot of fun.
This week in honor of father’s day, I am going to feature masculine interiors.
What IS a masculine interior?
Masculine interiors are:
- sophisticated [well, the good ones are]
- often have strong architectural themes
- often have furnishings with deep, rich wooden tones
Alright, a masculine room can be cold, but my favorite masculine rooms even if they are black and white have a strong element of warmth– somewhere. Today, however, the rooms and spaces will largely emphasize the color BROWN.
For brown walls, I favor the colors that are on the cooler side of brown.
Here are two great choices
Benjamin Moore HC-68 Middlebury Brown
Benjamin Moore HC-69 Whitall Brown
Here is a room that looks like Whitall Brown and they took the color and used it everywhere! I want to do a post about this because it proves that you do not have to paint a ceiling white if you use a dark color.
I’ve had many a client tell me how much they hate brown. And yes, if brown is done wrong, it sucks.
- white or cream or maybe another pale shade
- more brown [and analogous tones]
- bits of black
- gold [or silver]
- sometimes pops of color
What to avoid when decorating with brown.
- really big brown furniture
- big brown furniture with white or light walls. This will never look good
- too much brown leather.
- cheap looking furniture in brown looks even cheaper
can be traditional or modern. Rustic, casual or formal; old, new, decayed or pristine. Here, I’ve tried to put in something for everyone, but find that I’m always drawn to a brown room which has some aspect of age and patina.
As always, I do try to locate the original source, but sometimes, it’s just not possible.
Photography by Mel Yates
Love the Chinoiserie painting juxtaposed with the Italian Terrazzo floor and masculine leather furnishings
What a talented designer. Love his work!
not giving RH a link because I think that they are a rip off, but this is a nice photo. :]
Not sure what this room is? Mudroom, Entrance to a sauna, Pool house? Whatever, I love the tapestry and aged look of the space.
I hope that you enjoyed these masculine interiors, even if you’re not a “brown person.” Next post will feature masculine interiors with more black and white; very classic and crisp. I think there will also be some blue.
For more beautiful dark rooms, please check out these posts:
- She Loves Dark Rooms and He Doesn’t.
- The Most Handsome Black and White Interiors Ever
- A beautiful post about black and blue decor
- Discover the New Black in Interior Design
- Another favorite post to consider is this one about gorgeous beige rooms.
- There are some beautiful, rich colors here to explore.
Happy Father’s Day!