As an interior designer, there are so many colors and looks that I love. Maybe that’s why I am drawn to this type of work in the first place. I only have one living room, but over the years, I’ve helped dozens of people create their own unique spaces. Therefore, I get to do lots of different styles which is a lot of fun.
This week in honor of father’s day, I am going to feature masculine interiors.
What IS a masculine interior?
Masculine interiors are:
- sophisticated [well, the good ones are]
- often have strong architectural themes
- often have furnishings with deep, rich wooden tones
Alright, a masculine room can be cold, but my favorite masculine rooms even if they are black and white have a strong element of warmth– somewhere.
Today, however, the rooms and spaces will largely emphasize the color BROWN.
For brown walls, I favor the colors that are on the cooler side of brown.
Here are two great choices
Benjamin Moore HC-68 Middlebury Brown
Benjamin Moore HC-69 Whitall Brown
Here is a room that looks like Whitall Brown and they took the color and used it everywhere! I want to do a post about this because it proves that you do not have to paint a ceiling white if you use a dark color.
I’ve had many a client tell me how much they hate brown. And yes, if brown is done wrong, it sucks.
- white or cream or maybe another pale shade
- more brown [and analogous tones]
- bits of black
- gold [or silver]
- sometimes pops of color
What to avoid when decorating with brown.
- really big brown furniture
- big brown furniture with white or light walls. This will never look good
- too much brown leather.
- cheap looking furniture in brown looks even cheaper
can be traditional or modern. Rustic, casual or formal; old, new, decayed or pristine. Here, I’ve tried to put in something for everyone, but find that I’m always drawn to a brown room which has some aspect of age and patina.
As always, I do try to locate the original source, but sometimes, it’s just not possible.
Love the Chinoiserie painting juxtaposed with the Italian Terrazzo floor and masculine leather furnishings
What a talented designer. Love his work!
Not sure what this room is? Mudroom, Entrance to a sauna, Pool house? Whatever, I love the tapestry and aged look of the space.
I hope that you enjoyed these masculine interiors, even if you’re not a “brown person.” The next post will feature masculine interiors with more black and white; very classic and crisp. I think there will also be some blue.
For more beautiful dark rooms, please check out these posts:
And, also these posts featuring more masculine rooms.
- She Loves Dark Rooms and He Doesn’t.
- The Most Handsome Black and White Interiors Ever
- A beautiful post about black and blue decor
- Discover the New Black in Interior Design
- Another favorite post to consider is this one about gorgeous beige rooms.
- There are some beautiful, rich colors here to explore.
Happy Father’s Day!