My 16 Favorite Benjamin Moore Paint Colors

Oh my, this is the last post for 2016!

I considered doing another “Best of” awards like last year. Remember The Shelfies? I think I’m gonna let that one sit on the shelf. ;]

I could do a “best of laurel home.”

zzzzzzzzzz…

(but if you need a laugh, here are some of the funniest posts on laurel home)

And then it came to me.

MY 16 FAVORITE BENJAMIN MOORE PAINT COLORS

Why 16?

Because 16 makes a nice square graphic. haha.

It’s (very) difficult to only pick 16.

And yes, these are all color in The Laurel Home Essential Paint Color Collection (you can access the pages that will tell you all about it) which now comes with the Paint Palette Collection in one wonderful 500 page 2-part guide! There are 144 colors in all and they are all fabulous. Well, I think so!

But here there are only 16.

For some folks, even 144 is just too much choice.

And this is my end of the year gift to y’all.

I’m so grateful for this blog and your wonderful support!

My 16 Favorite Benjamin Moore Paint Colors

COTTON BALLS

I guess anyone who’s been reading my blog for more than a week knows that I love Cotton Balls. This is a white that does what you tell it to do!

It really does. But, please test it anyway.

SWISS COFFEE

Darryl Carter (this is his gorgeous room) has a line of Benjamin Moore paint colors and Swiss Coffee is one of them only he calls it Hanover White.

I don’t know for sure if the room above is Swiss Coffee/Hanover White or not. It doesn’t matter. It’s a lovely, warm, but not yellow white with the right amount of gray.

It is also a superb color for the OUTSIDE of your home, if you’d like to paint it white.

IVORY WHITE

Sorry, I cheated. This cabinet is actually white dove. What’s the difference? Not a lot. Ivory White is just a little creamier, is all. Both are fabulous white colors for cabinetry, walls and trim. For the only six white paint colors I’ve ever used click here.

ELEPHANT TUSK

is one of those colors that can look gold, khaki, or cream depending on the light. It’s a wonderful neutral and a great alternative to builder’s beige.

A job we did recently.

CLASSIC GRAY

Classic Gray is a soft whisper of a warm gray that sometimes has a very slight lavender undertone which is very appealing.

Bobby McAlpine

RICHMOND GRAY HC-96

This is one of my all-time go-to colors. It’s another fantastic neutral. Not too pale, but not dark. It can go anywhere.

DeVol Kitchens

KINGSPORT GRAY HC-86

Kingsport Gray is the quintessential putty or drabware color. It always makes me think of Martha Stewart. It’s a classic and looks fabulous in older homes especially. This is a good one for painted brick, cabinetry and libraries too!

Mona Ross Berman via Lonny

QUIET MOMENTS

This is in the top three. I’ve specified it more than any other color– especially for master bedrooms. It’s a color that everyone loves! It’s just the perfect blend of gray, blue and green.

CLEVELAND GREEN

I included one of the my boards from the Paint Palette and Home Furnishings Collection. Cleveland green is a color that I found out about through Bunny Williams. It’s deep and rich. Not brown, not green really, but a blend of the two.

Ben Pentreath

ABALONE

Abalone is another fabulous color. It’s a warm gray, but with a healthy dose of brown and a touch of lavender. It looks fabulous in either dark or bright rooms, but I love it especially in a darker room. The lavender will come out a little more, but it’s really lovely and not at all PURPLE!

CHELSEA GRAY

This is a rich warm gray that often looks slightly taupe-y when it’s up. It’s like a warm hug and one of my favorite no-fail colors. (original source unknown)

VAN DEUSEN BLUE

Van Deusen blue is another of Benjamin Moore’s historical colors. It’s a rich, dark blue with just the right amount of gray and a touch of green, so that it is never cold feeling. In a darker room it will go almost navy, but will look lighter in a brighter room.

DEEP ROYAL

This is a color that I first saw last spring at the High Point Market at the Dunes and Duchess booth. Hands down, the best navy I’ve ever seen. Of course, I was seeing it in artificial light, but it held it’s own and looked amazing as a backdrop to their colorful art and their line of home accents.

PALE AVOCADO

My kitchen. This is a wonderful chartreuse and a great choice for someone wanting to try out a yellow green for the first time. This color does need windows and doors, cabinets and art to break it up, but it’s a wonderful back-drop and a color that is truly universal.

RACING ORANGE

This was another booth at the High Point Market in the antique section. The guy gave me the name of another color, but when I got home it did not look at all like the color, so I went with Racing Orange. It’s not really orange and not really red, but right in between. It looks absolutely wonderful with antiques and gold as you can see. Well, I think so!

And sorry. I forgot SHORELINE!

HERE IT IS!

SHORELINE

Well, a little sliver and then a lot of reflection. This is my teeny tiny bathroom! Shoreline is the most soothing, soft gray. It is both cool and warm, with the tiniest whisper of blue-green just enough to keep it from looking dead. But it definitely not blue or green!

Dang. You can’t see the pin it button, but if you click on the words racing orange, it should work.

I’m sure that I’ve left out some wonderful colors. Do you have a favorite that I missed?

Please have a safe and joyous New Year’s Eve and I’ll see you in 2017!

xoxo,

• Cheryl White - March 14, 2017 - 2:58 PM

What a huge help the above article has been. I do have a question and not sure how to post on your blog. I would like to paint the white trim exterior of our red brick home (with brown in it, too) something other than white and I’ve been thinking about a cement or putty color to match the cement in between the bricks. Do you have a Benjamin Moore exterior paint color that you might recommend.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 14, 2017 - 4:08 PM

I’m sorry Cheryl, but I can’t recommend paint colors in the comments because I would need to see in person what you are talking about and hold up colors and maybe make some test samples. There are many variables and I wouldn’t want to give you bad advice.ReplyCancel

• Julie Vawter - February 11, 2017 - 2:43 AM

Don’t bonk me on the head as this is not about paint directly. My question/comment is about the faucet in your Shoreline paint color photo of your tiny bathroom. Is that a Kohler Purist faucet? If so, do you love it? I am considering that faucet for my dual sink vanity (Carrara marble top on black). I’m thinking the chrome (least pricey of all the options) but the gold would be showy. Any great wisdom to share on faucet choices? I’d love to stay under $200 per faucet since I have to buy 2 and will also need to coordinate the tub/shower.

Cheers!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 11, 2017 - 10:45 AM

Hi Julie,

I wouldn’t bonk you over the head for that!

The faucet came with my apartment. It’s okay, but the finish smudges if you only just look at it. Someone told me that butchers wax will help with that, but I haven’t tried it yet.ReplyCancel

• Marilynn Williams - January 14, 2017 - 6:39 PM

Laurel Bern, You have an amazing eye for color. Love these. I am a painter(artist) by trade and have to say that the colors you chose are really beautiful up on walls. Yay for you for not picking pinky beiges and gray,gray,gray…So over it.
    That said, I have Cleveland Green in my living room. If you pay attention to museum walls they are often painted this color. It is a fantastic color for artwork and white and black pops.Very classy shade. CheersReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 14, 2017 - 6:44 PM

Thanks so much Marilynn! And yes, it’s a wonderful color for art. Thanks so much for the endorsement!ReplyCancel

• Bryan - January 14, 2017 - 10:15 AM

Hi Laurel!
    You’ve helped us so much through several projects. Your Rolodex and palettes have been heaven sent!
    Our latest project is a living room with fireplace that opens into the kitchen. We are going with Quiet Moments for the wall color in living room. We wanted to try (for the first time) to go with some color on the ceiling!. Ceiling is 9′. Room receives moderate light through the day.
    Question: Would it be ok to carry QM onto the ceiling as well, go 50%, or drop down one shade to Healing Aloe. I know you can’t see the room, but just looking for a general principle. After all it’s bc of you we have the courage!
    Cheers,
    BReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 14, 2017 - 11:39 AM

Oh Bryan,

Frustration abounds. I’m not there! Is there a crown? Is it one big room or is there a separation between rooms?

But your three options are all good, so why don’t you make samples of all of them and get on a ladder (carefully) and place them one at a time flat on the ceiling in at least two spots. One, in a bright place and one in a dark place which is usually a corner.

Hope that helps!

And thanks so much for buying my products and your kind words. Much appreciated!ReplyCancel

• Bryan - January 14, 2017 - 6:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. No crown, and it is sorta one room, but walls cut in a bit as you enter kitchen side to define the spaces. We will take your advice on trying different samples.
        Do you generally recommend painting fireplace mantel the same white as the trim?
        Cheers,
        BryanReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 14, 2017 - 7:15 PM

Yes, Fireplace mantel if painted should be the same as the trim. I always say, whatever is wood gets painted the same color. Usually. Once in a while, there’s an exception. ReplyCancel

• Emily - January 9, 2017 - 10:56 PM

I just painted my great room Pale Avocado, it was a risk, but I love it! And m living room and hallway and trim throughout is Ivory White, Gorgeous!! A note about Abalone, originally I painted my LR this color, having tested it, the right way, with posterboard, with light, natural light, different times of day etc.. I fell in love with it, However after it was painted it looked AWFUL! It looked like a lavender/pink/mauve that you would put in a kids room. I complained to Benjamin moore and showed them a picture of my poster board along with the painted wall proving that the two did not match. They said that there is always a 10% variation in color with every new can of paint. I was so disappointed. But very happy with the way it looks now!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 9, 2017 - 11:32 PM

10%? that’s BS! 1% – okay, but 10% is a completely different color. It is possible it was mixed wrong. ReplyCancel

• Marisa Hawk - January 9, 2017 - 1:31 PM

Hi Laurel and Happy Monday!

I have both your Essential Paint Color Collection and Ultimate Paint Palette and Home Furnishings Collection. You note Van Deusen Blue as one of your favorites in this post, but I only see it used in one Paint Palette in the Home Furnishings collection.

I see more pallets containing other deep blues, such as Champion Cobalt, Deep Royal, Gentleman’s Gray, etc. and am wondering why. Is there a difference in the undertones? I am very attracted to Van Deusen, but am struggling here on the coast of the Pacific Northwest with dark rooms, light rooms and many that face north. All these blues seem wonderful for a library or a cabinet island.

Would LOVE a post focusing a bit on Pacific Northwest light/color maybe with a coastal vibe.

Thanks for all,

MarisaReplyCancel

• Lidia - January 4, 2017 - 3:02 PM

Hello Laurel,
    Thank you for your wonderful post!
    Question: I love Quiet Moments; have you used it for a ceiling in projects? If not, can you recommend several light blues similar to Quiet Moments for ceilings?
    Finally for trims and doors would you use BM Advance in semi-gloss or use their standard line?
    Thanks again,
    Joy and Peace in the New Year!ReplyCancel

• Marcy S. - January 4, 2017 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for sharing your favorite paint colors, Laurel. Your input is always interesting and classy.ReplyCancel

• Tricia Heliker - December 31, 2016 - 6:30 PM

I would not have considered Racing Orange for anything until I read your post. Now I can’t get it out of my mind. I’m actually thinking of using it on the exterior of a restaurant. (doors and window frames) So glad you posted this list of your favorites. I used Beach Glass in a rehab I did years ago and that color sticks in my mind as awesome. I noticed it is one below Quiet Moments in the deck. I have earmarked that one now. ReplyCancel

• HeidiP - December 29, 2016 - 7:52 PM

Hi again, was just looking at these again and realized they’re very similar (at least on my phone’s screen) to the Benjamin Moore colors we used in our house: Tundra, Bunny Gray, Stonington, Apparition, Collingswood, and Nantucket Fog.
    So, I’m feeling good that they’re at least in the same category you chose Laurel hehehheReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 8:06 PM

Hi Heidi,

And some of those might be the same colors! It is known that Benjamin Moore has some repeats due to the many iterations of their collection, in part. For instance Ivory White is the same formula as Acadia White.

Others are so close, it’s like the difference of a dye-lot and/or they are the same. ReplyCancel

• Lauren Drake - December 29, 2016 - 4:55 PM

Hi Laurel — love this post as I am about to paint my entire downstairs…and absolutely adore the blue/orangey-red combo.

As an aside, I have two of the same exact wicker chair as in your kitchen photo — my mom got them at a yard sale…any idea who makes them?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 6:05 PM

Hi Lauren,

Yes, those are “antiques” for sure. Actually, mine are 20 years old. Can’t actually believe that, but it’s true. I only have one now. I left the other three with my wasband. They are from Palecek. Alas, they have discontinued this particular style, but they do have others that are of the same type.ReplyCancel

• Cyndia M. - December 29, 2016 - 4:31 PM

I helped my daughter choose colors for her new home, and we went with Quiet Moments throughout her living room, hallways and kitchen. It’s such a lovely serene color and looks good with everything we’ve put with it. We used Van Deusen in the master bath, and everyone who sees it gasps with delight. Cotton Balls has long been a fav too. Cannot wait to try the Pale Avocado! Thanks for all of these!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 6:03 PM

Hi Cyndia,

Thanks for stopping by! And yes, I remember the first time I saw Quiet Moments. It was a “go see” and when the would-be client showed me her bedroom, my heart skipped a beat and yes, I gasped. “What IS this color?” (tell me or I’ll have to kill you.) lolReplyCancel

• Susan - December 29, 2016 - 4:02 PM

Ahhh So many of my current favorites!

Its like a Holiday presents to your followers – and i hadnt thought about racing — hmmm something to consider.

Thanks for the fun, I am looking forward to your blog adventures in 2017

p.s. Cotton balls – love it forever!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 4:15 PM

Hi Susan,

I wouldn’t have considered a color racing orange either, but when I saw the one like it at High Point, I was instantly mesmerized! It looked so fantastic with the antiques and the art!ReplyCancel

• Susie - December 29, 2016 - 3:31 PM

I love a putty color like the Kingsport Gray. I think Martha Stewart called her’s Bedford Gray or something. I’m all for it. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year and finds a way to make it through Jan. 20!!ReplyCancel

• Danni - December 29, 2016 - 12:59 PM

My interior-designer SIL and I called “Quiet Moments” “Precious Moments” after the terrible figurines. It almost killed the deal, I disliked the name so much! Glad I didn’t, it’s my favorite color in my (now) rather monotone greigey house. It looks like a magazine (great) but you get to recycle a magazine after a month. I will be living in grey doldrums in a Portland winter!! May regret going all-in on the no-color thing. It’s only paint though, right? My nephew calls it the “Death Eater” house bc what was formally fairly colorful is now cold and pallid. >:(ReplyCancel

• Maggie - December 29, 2016 - 10:40 AM

What a nice post to wrap up 2016. I adore your blog and learn so much from you. I have no grays in my home, but I have really warmed up to Abalone thanks to you. I purchased the small pint sample and painted two large boards. I plan to redo my small home office…. when I get around to it ……in Abalone with Cotton Balls trim. A big step for me. It’s a lovely color. I wish you continued success and happiness. Happy New Year in 2017!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 2:13 PM

Thank you so much Maggie and for all of your wonderful comments. Best wishes to you as well!ReplyCancel

• Karen Savage - December 29, 2016 - 9:36 AM

I love how you ‘get into color’! I too am particular about the colors I specify and cotton balls is one of my go too whites. But I found in my own home that it was just reading too gray in the late afternoons (low lighting/northern exposure) so after ‘extensive research’ found that mascarpone is just right! Still a nice clean white buy with a little more creaminess to keep it reading white at night! thanks for all your posts Laurel – so educational for many of us – and happy new year! xoxoReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hi Karen,

Mascarpone is another good one. There are so many! But yes, it has a little less gray and a little more yellow, but it sounds like that’s what’s needed to counter-act the dark/northern exposure. And it’s also a testament why it’s so important to test!

Happy New Year to you as well!ReplyCancel

• Christine - December 29, 2016 - 8:22 AM

Hi Laurel! Love your blog. Thanks so much for doing it. I sold my home of twenty-eigh tears recently (!). My two favorite colours there were the kitchen’s Grey Owl and the living room’s Baby Fawn. Absolutely everything looks fabulous with these two colours, including people. In my new home everything is Simply White but that may not last for long….ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 10:38 AM

Hi Christine,

Grey Owl is another terrific one. If I had four more colors, that one would’ve been on the list.ReplyCancel

• Gigi - December 29, 2016 - 8:02 AM

Very nice colors!! I love seeing posts like this. We just moved in to our new house (farmhouse style) and used Sherwin Williams-Unusual Gray in the master bedroom/bath, mindful gray in the main part of the house and silver stream in some of the bedrooms. Trim is Alabaster which is a lovely creamy white. Unusual Gray is just what the name suggests: it’s hard to describe and changes color with the time of day and amount of light, but it’s a beautiful, spa like gray/green. I used Caviar on all the doors and with the alabaster trim, it looks gorgeous!!ReplyCancel

• Diana - December 29, 2016 - 7:07 AM

Perfect timing! I am about to add much needed crown molding to our master bedroom and knew I had to move on from the Believable Buff I had painted the walls with over twelve years ago. Quiet Moments it is! That extra link to no fail Benjamin Moore paint colors is also great.ReplyCancel

• Sandy Fisher - December 29, 2016 - 1:10 AM

OK so I spent 9 months studying whites for my living/dining rooms. Then I get this post and I want to kill myself! OYE!!!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 1:42 AM

Should I call 911? And why would a post about 16 paint colors distress you so? I do have 3 shades of white and I linked to another post which lists 6 shades of white. Some of the differences are so slight, it’s not worth talking about.ReplyCancel

• Susan Bamd - December 28, 2016 - 11:51 PM

Hi Laurel. I love your blogs and find inspiration in so many of the decorating
    Ideas! Love the paint colors too! Problem is that I live in South Africa and we don’t get Benjamin Moore paints. How can I get the mixture codes? Or I suppose that is top secret?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 12:08 AM

Hi Susan,

I’ve been to South Africa! Beautiful country!

That’s a good question. I did just quickly look to see if there is such a thing. But here’s the thing. There are the formulas and then there are the bases that the pigments go into. So, even with the formula, if the base is different, then the color will be different.

One thing you could do is acquire the fan decks. Then, you could try to match them up with your local paint companies.

Or maybe the companies can make Benjamin Moore colors. For instance, Sherwin Williams, BM’s biggest competitor here (I think) can make up the BM colors.

Or, if you had the fan deck, you could go to your paint store and ask them to match the sample. NOT computer matching. But eyeball matching. There’s an art to that, for sure. It was an exercise we had to do in design school and it was one of my favorite ones.ReplyCancel

• Susan Silverman - December 28, 2016 - 11:48 PM

Shoreline is one of my new faves and I also love the darker versions Silver Chain and Grey Huskie. They are the perfect greys to me for the exact reasons you mentioned. Because these colours are from the American BM colours we can’t get small samples here in Canada but I’ve spec’d them many times and clients love them. I have large painted samples so it’s easy for me to show them. Great colour choices btw!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 12:01 AM

Thanks so much Susan! That’s smart to make the large samples of your favorites.ReplyCancel

• gogogramma - December 28, 2016 - 11:19 PM

Thanks, Laurel
    Not just for your favorite 16 colors, but for your fabulous blog. I am always hapoy to see an email from you, always learn something and ALWAYS have a good laugh.
    Wish you a very happy, prosperous and healthy new year!
    gggReplyCancel

• Vici - December 28, 2016 - 10:26 PM

Your posts about paint are always so helpful, especially your explanation of underlying tones.
    Thanks for your professional guidance and for narrowing the field.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 28, 2016 - 10:44 PM

Thanks so much for stopping by Vici! Much appreciated!ReplyCancel

• Shirley - December 28, 2016 - 9:54 PM

WOW – gotta love that PALE AVOCADO! I have a beautiful master bedroom – but it’s a north room in the front of my house – dark, cold and noisy from the street. So I made the decision to have a sleeping room and reclaimed a south facing bedroom in the back of my house that was used as an office that has lots of windows. I have red top/down cellular shade – always down to capture that glorios light. The furniture is matte black modern, low wall headboard with suspended side tables, oil bronze Lauren drum lights that extend. The art above the low headboard are two wave-curved pieces 72″Wx24″H that are iconic Andy Worhol reproductions (Audrey Hepburn Breakfast at Tiffanies and Marilyn Monroe Some Like it Hot). I pick up the reds in the art thru the red, green, purple geometric round rug, red leather club chair and black matte 78″ low boy. I’ve been looking for a new wall color and have found it with the Pale Avocado. It ought to make that room simply scream MODERN. Thanks for helping me solve a 8 mo. old problem!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 28, 2016 - 10:03 PM

Hi Shirley,

Wow! Sounds very colorful! But Pale Avocado is a terrific unifying color. In fact, my favorite board in the paint palette collection is the Pale Avocado board. I paired it with teal and racing orange, lots of white and black accents.ReplyCancel

• Shirley - December 28, 2016 - 11:22 PM

YooHoo I may just get one right!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 28, 2016 - 11:45 PM

Always be sure to test first though. Although I think that’s one color that doesn’t do a lot of wonky things.ReplyCancel

• Shirley - December 29, 2016 - 7:45 AM

found a link that demonstrates my current/future states – http://iamtonyang.com/0709/color_samples.jpg

Pale Avocado is upper right corner and the current room color is a very safe, boring sage…very similar to color directly diagonal lower left. The room is very bright and I think the Pale Avocado will bump the room to the next level…of course,, at night all this fades off to darkness but morning is so cheerful in that room. A great way to start the day! Thanks again for your blog and insights. Enjoy this holiday season Merry Christmas Happy New Year.

• Laurel Bern - December 29, 2016 - 10:36 AM

Rain Forest Dew below it is also nice, but better for a darker room. It will go more yellow in a brighter room.

Best for the New Year for you as well Shirley!

• Rosalee Cline - December 28, 2016 - 9:45 PM

Hello Laurel. I have been reading your blog for several months now. You are so smart but what I dearly love about you is you’re so very funny. I love people who find humour in common life. I love this post and I’m now convinced … I need need need the Laurel Home Essential Paint Color Collection. So, first thing tomorrow a.m., I’m buying it. So excited! I feel like you’re one of my girlfriends who’s really smart. Thank you for sharing your humour and your decorating knowledge. Happy 2017! 😉ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 28, 2016 - 10:00 PM

Thank you so much Rosalee! I’m very proud of my products and have gotten a lot of terrific feedback. All the best to you in 2017 too!ReplyCancel

• Joanna - December 28, 2016 - 9:31 PM

The Cleveland Green intrigues me. I saved the board from an earlier post. I wonder if it would look good in a bath without any windows. Or, would the white fixtures be too clean a color against such a moody one? Hmmmm
    Have a wonderful rest of the year and all the best for 2017.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 28, 2016 - 9:34 PM

Hi Joanna,

It’s a color that needs art and breaks, I think. I think it could look good in a small bathroom with lots of white. And also some black and gold accents like in picture frames.

Best to you as well!ReplyCancel

• HeidiP - December 28, 2016 - 9:23 PM

Hi Laurel;)
    Love your paint posts. I’ve always loved white, when I was 15 I had white carpet installed in my bedroom, all white linens, etc. My single-girl apt in NYC was painted all white.. white couches.. ETC!
    However when I moved into my house 3 yrs ago, 9 months pregnant, forced to pick paint colors a week before moving in… I wanted all-white but SOMEHOW was convinced by MIL (grrr) to borrow someone else’s paint colors… they’re not bad but I’m so over them: Apparition and Collingswood. I did pick Chantily Lace as my trim color and every time I notice it I’m so pleased.
    We recently painted the exterior of our house white, which made such an enormous difference in my eyes, it actually made me start to see and appreciate the structure,, and I started to imagine it’s potential. So now…
    We are seriously considering an expansion/addition to the house (larger family room, + mudroom+ office+ pool bathroom+ upstairs bonus room) in which I will absolutely use cotton balls (or one of the fave whites).
    So happy every time I read your posts, just always seriously helping me define my true style. xxReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 28, 2016 - 9:33 PM

Thanks so much Heidi. All the best with your new projects!ReplyCancel

• Mary - December 28, 2016 - 9:21 PM

I live in a townhouse that has an open floor plan. About nine years ago I painted every room Quiet Moments. It looks so nice with all of my white trim. Best desicion I’ve ever made. I’m still not tired of it.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 28, 2016 - 9:28 PM

That’s wonderful Mary! Open floor plans aren’t easy.ReplyCancel

• MichaelB. - December 28, 2016 - 9:17 PM

Hideous choices!! Benjamin Moore has some amazing and beautiful colors! How did you choose some of the worst?ReplyCancel

• Catherine - December 29, 2016 - 6:17 AM

This list has some universally appealing colors and some more challenging/debatable choices like Racing Orange, Cleveland Green or Pale Avocado. Those may leave some scratching their heads: of the hundreds of fan deck choices why those? But let’s keep in mind 3 things:
      1) Your ‘favorite”pretty’ color picked randomly in a fan deck doesn’t necessarily translate to the most flattering/interesting/coordinated wall color; that’s how toddlers pick bedroom colors, not how designers put rooms together.
      2) These are Laurel’s personal favorites based on her design experience – she isn’t saying they must be your top 16. Are you really so miffed that out of tens of thousands of paint colors she didn’t pick the same ones as you?
      3) How boring would it be if all 16 were no-fail, ‘safe’, neutral choices? And how much better that she suggests some colors that looks great in context but left to our own we’d likely pass over in the fan deck?ReplyCancel

• Chris - December 28, 2016 - 11:28 PM

Hahaha, this is a funny comment and just cracked me up. I actually had to splurt our a honking laugh when I read it. I’m sure hope this person does not work for a diplomatic corps! WWIII anyone?
      Well, all I can say… is ‘To each his own’, but the overwhelming majority of readers here will find the colors fantastic. I am going to look no further for my colors than from you Laurel!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 28, 2016 - 11:54 PM

Yes, Michael is the proverbial troll. I usually don’t post these, but once in a while I do.

The comments are meant to be inflammatory. Most of us have some level of insecurity. I’m no different. And when someone says effectively, “you suck” a part of me thinks– “I do?”

But then I remember what others have said. Mean people are not happy people and their words are about themselves, not me.

Please notice that troll did not offer any suggestions for what he perceives as beautiful colors.

And thanks for your kind words Chris!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 28, 2016 - 9:35 PM

I think that these are amazing colors. That’s how.ReplyCancel

• Becky - December 28, 2016 - 9:16 PM

Looks like you forgot a picture and description of Shoreline, which I see in the chart.ReplyCancel

• Dawn Kramer - December 28, 2016 - 9:04 PM

Laurel, what about Shoreline…it is one of the 16 but it’s missing.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 28, 2016 - 9:13 PM

oops! Hang on. I’ll get it up in a jiffy. I spent too long on the graphic! Thanks for letting me know!ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *