9 Fabulous Benjamin Moore Cool Gray Paint Colors

Moving on with gray paint colors, I decided to divide it up into cool gray paint colors and warm gray paint colors. Or grEy if that is your preferred that spelling. I prefer it, but learned it as grAy, so I’m sticking with that. Here’s the last post about Benjamin Moore Warm Gray Paint Colors in case you missed it.

Today we are going to focus on Benjamin Moore cool gray paint colors.

This is the deal with gray and those of you who work with it a lot will understand this.

It is very rarely just gray.

It is usually either blue, violet, green or even a bit yellow or brown, but most commonly blue and violet. If brownish, we either call it greige if light [gray + beige] and bray if darker [brown + gray and sometimes a bit of violet].

There are a few grays which straddle different categories. Ya know the problem children. But sometimes problem children can be the most interesting. Sometimes. :]

And it takes the tiniest dab of these undertones to make what looks like a pure gray on the chip to look like something else on the wall.

Yes, very scary. And even scarier. Sometimes what it looks like on the chip is nothing like what it looks like on the wall! The truth be told, as difficult as it is to get white right. I think that gray is worse!

This is why you must test, test, test! And in all kinds of lights because the light is going to do some wacky things to our beautiful gray. However, maybe that’s one of the things that’s so fabulous about this ethereal color. [in its paler tones]

Benjamin Moore cool gray paint colors.

Isn’t gray by definition cool? Well, yes and no. Some grays do have warmer undertones. And some have cooler undertones. However, it’s sooooo easy for gray to go blue and/or icy. So, I’m going to try to avoid anything that will read baby blue and stay away from icy. Just to make it even more confusing, some of these grays do straddle between warmer gray and cooler gray. Don’t worry, I’ll spell it all out.

These are the paler shades of gray. I’m keeping this list to Benjamin Moore.

No Sherman Williams which is not because they aren’t good. They’re too good! One day, I think I will write a post about the best Sherwin Williams Gray paint colors.

Nine fabulous Benjamin Moore Cool Gray Paint Colors

vt interiors lucite console with benjamin moore paperwhite-9 benjamin moore cool gray paint colors | love this fresh vignette!VT Interiors

PAPER WHITE 1590 Paper White is a very soft, verrrrrry pale gray. It is so pale that it might even look white in some lights. I think that it’s a better choice for a darker room. Therefore, it’s a good one for a gray for a north facing room. It is actually neither warm nor cool, just a very pale dove-gray and a wonderful choice for anyone wanting to give a pale gray room a go.

my bathroom in Benjamin Moore Shoreline - Benjamin Moore Cool Gray Paint Colors My Bathroom

SHORELINE-1471

My bathroom again. Oh, By the way, I have already done a post on great pale gray shades for bathrooms and there is a lot of overlap. I’ve had this in my bathroom for nearly 2 years now. I never tire of it. It’s almost like an opal. It’s always lovely and soft no matter the lighting.

Steven Gambrel Benjamin Moore Cool Gray Paint Colors Steven Gambrel

STONINGTON GRAY HC-170

Stonington is a favorite amongst gray aficionados. It is probably more of a warm gray, but it does have a bit of blue in it, without ever reading as blue. You can’t see it on the chip, but I did first paint my bathroom this color and then I changed it to the Shoreline

Design by Ashley Whittaker - Benjamin Moore Cool Gray Paint Colors Stonington GrayAnother image with Stonington by Ashley Whittaker

Benjamin Moore Cool Gray Paint Colors Horizon - Murphy Co. Design Susan Gilmore [photo] interior design - Marita SimmonsMurphy Co. Design   Susan Gilmore [photo]    interior design – Marita Simmons

HORIZON-1478

And even more popular is Horizon. Before we sold our home I had painted both our master bedroom and bathroom in this soft color. I think that this color is a fabulous color for bathrooms, especially with Carrara Marble. Our bathroom only had a small skylight but I really liked the color in there. It looks a lot darker than on the chip. In the bedroom which faces south-east, I was less impressed, however that doesn’t mean that this is a bad color. The bedroom was devoid of architectural interest. So, in a room with lots of moldings, I think it would be a great color! It is a pale gray with a bit of blue-green in it. Never icy!

Maureen Griffin Ballsbaugh Benjamin Moore Cool Gray Paint ColorsMaureen Griffin Ballsbaugh

WICKHAM GRAY-HC-171

Wickham gray is a very interesting color. It’s the cleanest gray of the lot. I did use it in a very dark entry and while it brightened up a surprising amount, it also appeared a tad icy because of the lack of natural light. However, it was still really nice. It is not a cold gray and it does have a lot of blue-green in it.

Donna-Benedetto-moonshine-oc-56-Benjamin Moore cool gray paint colorsDonna Benedetto

MOONSHINE-OC 56

Moonshine is a pale gray with very,very slight green undertones. I’ve never used it but there are folks who absolutely adore this soft shade.

Design by Shannon Gale - Benjamin Moore cool gray paint colors - Pebble BeachShannon Gale

PEBBLE BEACH-1597

A couple of years ago, I specified this color for a master bedroom and the client adores it! It’s one of those that changes a lot with the light. Sometimes it reads ever so slightly lavender and sometimes goes a bit blue, but a very, very nice grayed out blue. It’s a very soft color and wonderful for a bedroom.

wickham-gray-benjamin-moore - Benjamin Moore cool gray paint colorsMurphy Co. Design   Susan Gilmore [photo]    interior design – Marita Simmons

ETERNITY-AF-695

This shade is a bit deeper than Pebble Beach with blue undertones. I would definitely check it out. I read about this color on a blog from someone probably as nuts as I am. haha. She went through just about every color on both of the main B. Moore fan decks before she discovered the color on the Affinity fan deck. If you don’t know, the affinity colors were the first low VOC colors that came out several years ago. They claim that it only takes one coat. Usually, not, but never more than two.

julianne-moore-domino - Benjamin Moore cool gray paint colors - Coventry GrayJulianne Moore via Domino

COVENTRY GRAY-HC-169

Coventry is a bit darker than eternity. Again, I’ve never used it but has gotten rave reviews. And yes, it’s that Julianne Moore. I honestly don’t think it’s fair that one person should possess that amount of beauty and talent!

for your pinterest boards below is a recap of the Benjamin Moore cool gray paint colors.

cool-shades-of-gray - Benjamin Moore cool gray paint colors

and there it is… Next will be the Benjamin Moore warm gray colors and there are some fabulous colors there too! I’m also going to do a post on darker grays. That’ll be fun. Are there any light cool gray colors that you love that I missed?

Finally. We have a day above freezing here in New York! And it’s Daylight Savings Time. Hooray!

laurel

• Dani - June 23, 2017 - 8:59 PM

Hi,
    I have spent over $100 on BM samples. I have a small living space, I want a cool grey/blue, some white subtle. I painted the room Going to the Chapel, and it looks green.

Help!! Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - June 23, 2017 - 9:19 PM

Hi Dani,

It sounds like you could use some professional painting consulting. I recommend that you find someone in your area to help you. It’s not easy, is it?ReplyCancel

• Michelle - May 28, 2017 - 11:15 PM

Love the Eternity paint color! Do you happen to know the cabinet/trim color in that photo as well?

Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 28, 2017 - 11:17 PM

Hi Michelle,

I don’t know for sure, but it looks a lot like Benjamin Moore Linen White.ReplyCancel

• Michelle - May 28, 2017 - 11:24 PM

Thank you for such a quick reply. I was thinking Linen White as well.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 28, 2017 - 11:28 PM

well, I’m working and whenever I’m on my site, I get a little orange light when there’s a new comment. There’s always stuff to do. It’s exactly like a garden and a high maintenance one at that! ReplyCancel

• Michelle - May 28, 2017 - 11:44 PM

Your hard work shows. Your site is fantastic!

• Tracy - March 18, 2017 - 1:10 PM

Hi, I bought a large dark grey sectional couch. I painted the living room SW grassland something just doesn’t look right. I think that my couch has a slight mauve undertone and that is what is wrong. Can you help wth with a paint colour that goes with my couch but doesn’t bring the purple out of the couch. Thank youReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 18, 2017 - 1:53 PM

I’m sorry Tracy, but I am no longer doing private paint consultations and am not, per the note in this contact box providing individual advice. I can’t possibly do it without standing in the room. Thank you for your understanding. ReplyCancel

• Kristy - March 10, 2017 - 4:51 PM

I have just stumbled on your site as I figure out how to fix a horrific mistake of picking a gray paint color. Gray with blue undertones came out “baby blue” on kitchen cabinets–and dark baby blue at that. Will be repainting this weekend because I just can’t stand it. Thanks for the advise. I also want to love gray and “subtles” but that doesn’t seem to be going so well.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 10, 2017 - 6:41 PM

Hi Kristy,

You’re welcome and good luck with your paint colors. It happens to all of us, in the beginning. But it also hi-lights why it’s so important to make a big test sample or even paint one door is a great idea and then move it around to the different areas. ReplyCancel

• Kakali Mahapatra - February 19, 2017 - 11:20 PM

I am deciding upon changing the paint color of my house to gray. I also am going to change the wooden floor stain to a mocha or coffee bean finish and keep all the trims white. The problem is I can’t decide on a specific gray-white combination and would really appreciate your advise or guidance. If you want I can send you the photos.

Thanks,
    KMReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 19, 2017 - 11:27 PM

Hi KM,

I’m sorry, but am no longer doing paint consults. My best advice is to hire a designer and/or paint color specialist in your area.ReplyCancel

• Brtittney Hock - January 25, 2017 - 9:22 PM

Thank you for your posts – they have been extremely helpful to me and I have refffered your site to many friends. I have one question that I would appreciate if you could answer, but I understand if not. In out new house, my husbands office is painted BM Moonshine on the walls. I wanted to paint the builtin cabinets and shelves a darker color, so the office looks more masculine. It has hardwood floors that have a touch of grey in them as well. Any dark color suggestions to go with the Moonshine? Thank you.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 25, 2017 - 10:58 PM

Hi Brittney,

I wish I could just pull the answer out of a hat, but alas, it’s not that easy. It’s made a lot easier if I can see everything that’s going on–in person.

And even then, am often struggling if presented with “givens” that aren’t really working to begin with. I’m not saying that yours are, but it happens and then it’s like slogging through mud trying to make it all work.

But right now, I’m not doing any consultations at all. My best advice is to find someone local who’s taste you like and advice you trust.ReplyCancel

• virginia gillespie - January 17, 2017 - 4:05 PM

How do I read the paint sample swatches in the box? Left to right or top to bottom?I’m always questioning myself on the colors.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 17, 2017 - 4:36 PM

Hi Virginia,

Yes, they are left to right, but please do not use them for reference. They are there as a suggestion. What you need to do is look at the paint swatches in the store or if you’re a designer, in your paint samples. And then narrow them down that way.ReplyCancel

• Andrea - January 4, 2017 - 12:35 PM

Do you have any experience or thoughts on BM Sliver Satin? I’m deciding between that and BM Classic Gray. Though they seem pretty similar, Silver Satin seems less popular so I’m wondering if there’s a more noticeable undertone or something. Whatever I select will be in the whole house. I have some warm colored furniture (browns) so I thought a warm gray would tie in better but I’m trying to avoid any tan/beige looking paint which is my concern with Classic Gray. Any thoughts? 🙂 Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Debra - January 25, 2017 - 8:30 PM

I used BM Silver Satin in a water closet and it read very white. I will be painting over it soon. The main part of the master bathroom I painted BM Nimbus and it’s growing on me. Not sure I’ll keep that either. I WANT to be a person that likes gray, but I haven’t found the right one yet.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 25, 2017 - 9:51 PM

Hi Debra,

Gray is very difficult. And one reason is that it usually reads as some other color. But I like those colors.

And it’s okay not to like gray. It can be very beautiful if used in the right way and with the right furnishings and accents.

Don’t forget to think of your room and your home in a holistic way. Paint is only one element and very often not the most important one. It depends on the room and what else is going on.ReplyCancel

• Debra - January 26, 2017 - 12:50 AM

What are your thoughts on BM Nimbus? What undertones do you see this color having?
          Also, I painted a guest bathroom SW Accessible Beige but mixed in the BM Regal eggshell finish. It didn’t quite turn out the same as the SW mix…it sort of has a green undertone. Have you done this with success and been happy with the color? (Not necessarily with Accessible Beige, but just taking a color from one company and using the others paint formula.
          Also, you mentioned SW is “too good”in this blog and I wonder do you think their color saturation is better?
          Thanks for replying to me.ReplyCancel

• Debra - January 26, 2017 - 10:04 AM

Lol Laurel, I wasn’t asking for a consultation. I was merely asking your opinion on the color Nimbus and some other basic questions. Thanks anyway.

• Laurel Bern - January 26, 2017 - 1:23 PM

Hi Debra,

It would take considerable time for me to figure it out and time constitutes a consultation as I need to get paid a hefty fee for that. But again, am not doing them because people don’t want to pay a hefty fee. It appears that most people not in the business don’t understand what’s involved.

• Laurel Bern - January 26, 2017 - 1:05 AM

Hi Debra,

I reply to everyone, but I’m sorry, I can’t get into this kind of detail in the comments. I wish I could help everyone, but for me to answer this would constitute a paint consultation and I’m no longer doing them.

• Laurel Bern - January 4, 2017 - 1:48 PM

Hi Andrea,

Just make your separate paint samples and move them around looking at them in different lights. Be sure they are taped flat against the wall.ReplyCancel

• Robin - December 29, 2016 - 11:56 PM

Hi
    Love your blog. Review it often. I am going to do grey in two rooms. The bedroom you did for a client with Pebble Beach, do you remember the name of the wainscotting? Also, is it the lighting or did you use two different greys?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 30, 2016 - 12:00 AM

Thanks so much Robin.

The room in the post is not my client’s room. It is purely for demonstration purposes. Pebble Beach is one of those colors that can change a fair amount with the light. ReplyCancel

• Linda - December 26, 2016 - 5:43 PM

I was so excited to see this post as I am picking colors for my NE facing bed/bathroom right now. Bathroom fixtures will be all white.

Question: through process of elimination I had decided on Pebble Beach for bedroom and Horizon for bathroom, but they are fairly close. Would you paint both rooms one of these colors? or are they different enough to warrant doing each room a separate color?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 26, 2016 - 7:26 PM

Hi Linda,

It’s impossible to say from where I’m sitting. So much is contingent on the light in your rooms. You could paint the two areas the SAME color and it might look quite different and/or paint them different colors and they could look the same! They might look great together or terrible. Pebble Beach goes cool blue-ish ever so slightly lavender sometimes and horizon generally goes ever so slightly blue-green, but not always and not in every light.

I recommend making large samples and pasting them to the wall and looking in different lights. For a more comprehensive guide, if you subscribe, (if you haven’t already) that info will be sent to you in your email. ReplyCancel

• Carol - October 16, 2016 - 7:13 PM

We have gone through 6 Sherman williams paints, 3 made it on the wall space like you said. Looking for a taupey grey and all of them look purple????

We have the old SW Sand Dollar and darker but want to update with a blend of the grey in it. Any other paint color ideas!!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - October 16, 2016 - 7:49 PM

Hi Carol,

I can’t suggest paint colors from here. If you’re struggling and you’re there, imagine how it would be for someone who is not there to see your light and what else is going on? No worries. I get requests like this all the time.

There are too many variables. In days gone past, I would figure out an entire scheme in my white home. The colors were gorgeous. I would show up at the client’s home and nope. Not gorgeous! Time after time.ReplyCancel

• Nancy Hope - October 7, 2016 - 9:05 AM

Hi Laurel!, I have a low light small north facing kitchen.
    I will be painting walls a warm white. I want to paint cabinets
    a pale gray/blue or gray/green. Should I go with warmer color
    or cooler? And thank you, it is just so much fun to read and
    see your work! NancyReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - October 7, 2016 - 9:37 AM

Hi Nancy,

That’s a difficult question to answer because I don’t know what else is going on. However, a couple of over-all points. It is difficult to pull off pale/gray/blue/green for a kitchen unless one knows how to work with it. I would not paint the walls white. I would paint them the same color as the cabinets which I think will look a lot richer. If you google “Sheila Bridges blue kitchen” and then click on images, you can see how she handled it. In that case, she used a beautiful wallpaper for a textural tone on tone effect.

The other point is that I lived for over 20 years in a smallish north-north-west facing kitchen. It did have two nice size windows that went out in a V-shape and a glass door out to the small deck. However, it butted up against a very large hill. So, for two weeks out of the year, a ray of sun would shine for a few minutes. Otherwise, the lights were almost always on, despite the windows.

My cabinets were a creamy white and the walls which there was very little of, were a soft greeny-goldy-yellow from Pratt and Lambert called Flax seed. I loved it. But the colors in my home were a lot of white with accents of green colors. My current kitchen color is warm white cabinetry with a similar color which came that way when I bought this place four years ago. It is Pale Avocado, a Benjamin Moore color. I also love that. Very cheery!ReplyCancel

• Gwen Tomblin - September 5, 2016 - 4:12 PM

Love this! We are looking for gray for teenager girl…she has excellent taste,
    so with your expertise, she is very excited.ReplyCancel

• Heidi - September 4, 2016 - 5:32 PM

Laurel, Thank you for all this information about paint. It’s fantastic and very helpful. I was having trouble finding the right gray for my bedroom, and after a few choices that didn’t work, I decided to look on line for advice. Then I found your blog, followed your advice and got some samples, and finally decided on Gray Owl. Love it. When I was in the store getting the paint samples, a young woman beside me was choosing her colors for painting furniture and asked my opinion. We got chatting and I told her all about my search for the gray I wanted and how I looked on line for it. She said something like, “That’s interesting, my ex-boyfriend’s mother has a blog like that and it’s doing really well.” So it turns out I met your son’s ex-girlfriend in the hardware store while getting my paint samples. Small world! Thank you for the help!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - September 4, 2016 - 8:56 PM

Oh haha! Too funny Heidi! But I’m having a deja vu. Well, something similar. Or maybe Maureen told me?

Glad that the info was helpful for you!ReplyCancel

• Teri - August 14, 2016 - 1:48 PM

I have a north facing master bedroom with two north windows with lush greenery outside, like a wall of green. I had a lot of trouble with paint colors looking off. I ended up painting Coventry Gray with white trim, and it looks fabulous. I don’t really understand why given everything I have read about north light and the reflection of trees. I tried at least two dozen other colors first. Would you have tried a cold gray with that lighting?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - August 14, 2016 - 2:14 PM

Hi Teri,

Well, this is why I don’t give a whole lot of attention to the so-called rules of north facing, south facing. It’s all a big bloody crapshoot as you’ve become aware.

OR, the color looks fabulous sometimes and not as good at others. That’s why it’s so vital to test via my method in the box at the top of every blog post.ReplyCancel

• Teri - August 14, 2016 - 2:31 PM

Thanks, I am always so anxious for your articles that I skip right over that box. I just had it delivered, so I will give it a read.

I have to tell you that this is one time that my husband got it right. I kept insisting that the color wouldn’t work (I follow the rules!!!), but he persisted. I went from grudgingly admitting that it worked to absolutely falling in love over time.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - August 14, 2016 - 2:52 PM

Hi Teri,

First rule in decorating.

There are no rules! haha

So glad it worked out!ReplyCancel

• Yaya Millican - August 12, 2016 - 2:41 PM

After trying 6 different ‘grays’ (all of which were WAY TOO blue or violet for my taste), I stumbled upon Benjamin Moore ‘Classic Gray’. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I used it on the upper cabinets in my kitchen and then used it 2x the formula on my walls. I am TOTALLY in love with the 2x formula. It is really and truly gray (a lovely SOFT gray) in my kitchen. I could NOT be more pleased. On the lower cabinets, I used Benjamin Moore Mount Saint Anne – it’s such a beautiful combination.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - August 12, 2016 - 4:51 PM

Hi Yaya,

Classic Gray is in the post about warm grays as it does have a slight taupe undertone which can read with a whisper of lavender (without every reading as purple.)

I do not under stand what is meant by the 2x formula. If you see this, could you explain? Do you mean a darker version 2 down the chip as in River Reflections 1550?

I’ll have to take a look at Mount Saint Anne. Thank you for the recommendation!ReplyCancel

• nancy keyes - August 12, 2016 - 5:29 PM

It sounds like she doubled the formula additives. I have doubled or halved several times.ReplyCancel

• J Ferguson - July 18, 2016 - 9:10 PM

Hi, I may have missed the name of the whites used with these nine cool grays. I know that the white used on the trim affects the color of the gray. If you have not already can you suggest a white to use for the trim where the walls have been painted Paper White?
    I am thinking a soft white will work, something like Swiss Coffee perhaps? Best Regards.ReplyCancel

• Rita - June 22, 2016 - 1:22 PM

I’m painting a front hall that has beige tile, and white wainscotting. It’s located on the north east side of the house, and I would like to go a soft grey with blue undertones. My ceiling has a high slope to it. Since I decorate with blues and whites I really want it to flow and look updated to 2016. Any suggestions.ReplyCancel

• Kristian - June 18, 2016 - 8:04 PM

I really enjoy reading your blog. Your research is very well presented. I like the suggestion of pale grays. I am drawn towards some purple grays. They are the lightest 3 levels, including the first as my white selection (minute mauve from sherwin williams is the light gray to put in my bathroom) [I’m also adding sea salt as my guest bath with gray and a touch of yellow natural wood stone 12/24 tiles]. I am wavering on the purple, and have even seen a website suggesting how to make your grays less purple.. I am wanting to compliment my new yellow oak floors. Is there a known secret of purple grays that you are aware of? And I’d love to hear if you like the purple grays. Thanks for the long read! Thank you for your blog. KristianReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - June 18, 2016 - 8:15 PM

Hi Kristian,

A lot of grays can go purple very easily. Usually, I prefer the warmer grays that go purple, like Abalone and Elephant Gray, but Feather Gray and Eternity from the Affinity Collection are very nice too. Those are all Benjamin Moore. Sherwin Williams also has some nice purple-grays. It’s best to make your large samples and move them around the room and look in different lighting situations.ReplyCancel

• Ali - May 12, 2016 - 4:46 PM

Love your blog and selections. Would you say these grays are too cool (i.e. Cold) for a 2 story foyer/open layout home? Also – something like paper white – would it be too washed out and look even lighter in such a setting in your opinion? I have heard colors getting darker on the wall and I have also heard that they get lighter in bigger spaces -so not sure what to expect. Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 12, 2016 - 11:52 PM

Hi Ali,

You ask some very good questions, but I can’t give you any answers that will satisfy your curiosity because I cannot see your unique situation.

And the wall color is only one element contributing to the over-all feeling of a space.ReplyCancel

• Renata barni - April 10, 2016 - 9:07 AM

Hi Laurel
    I really like Coventry gray color and I plan to put on my wall in livingroom but my only concern is I do not want gray color on my wall which turns blue at night. Does this color turns blue at night?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 10, 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hi Renata,

Coventry does have blue undertones, but I can’t predict how it will look at night because I don’t know what your lighting is like. I always suggest getting a sample of the paint and making a large sample (2 coats of paint) and move it around the room – taped flat against the wall and see if you like the color at all times.ReplyCancel

• anton - March 28, 2016 - 9:03 AM

Hi,

Beautiful work. I can’t take my eyes off Eternity AF-695 in the laundry room photo. Do you know what that creamy trim color is? They go very nicely together and we’d like to try this combo in our kitchen. Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Akhtar azar - March 8, 2016 - 9:46 AM

I have been very impressed by your opinions on decorating.I pwonder if you can help me. I am trying to renovate my kitchen.it is a fairly large kitchen with a center island.The floor has light gray tile.The cabinets are white and the countertops are white granite with some splashes of gray.The appliances are white.I am wondering what shade of gray I should paint the walls.It is a fairly bright kichen.Your opinion will be much appreciated.
    THANKS
    Akhtar.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 8, 2016 - 10:26 AM

Hi Akhtar,

I wish I could help everyone, but selecting colors is a big deal and for the time being, am not able to do that on an individual basis. Perhaps you need to hire a color specialist if you’re in a quandary. Sometimes paint stores have them on staff or at least can recommend someone good.ReplyCancel

• Renate - March 2, 2016 - 8:57 PM

Hi, I love your blog. My dilema is I am looking for a gray for my livingroom that goes well with dark expresso sofa and chair without me having to repaint my kitchen that is unusual gray by SW which has a blue undertone. Can you give me some ideas.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 3, 2016 - 12:13 AM

I’m sorry Renate, but it’s impossible to recommend paint colors based on a description. I can’t cure the illness without seeing the patient. Unfortunately, I’m not able to do individual consulting at this time either. My best advice if you don’t want to hire someone is to be your own designer. Make the samples and tape them to the wall and let your eye be the guide. If it looks good to you, then it’s good!ReplyCancel

• Terrell - February 3, 2016 - 1:30 PM

Hi Laurel-

I can’t even begin to tell you how much of a God send your blog has been. I have been struggling with trying to find the perfect gray for my walls for months now. Every time the paint has went on looking GORGEOUS… just to turn baby blue once the sun went down and viewed under artificial light. 🙁 I will definitely try some of these as well as get samples of several of the warm grays that you mentioned in another post. Thanks so much for your expertise and this wonderful blog! So appreciated it!

-TerrellReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 3, 2016 - 6:32 PM

Hi Terrell,

Yes, so many grays can go blue and/or purple! And what makes it so difficult is that you can’t see it on the chip! I have Shoreline in my little bathroom, so I can say with 100% certainty that it does not go blue at night. It’s a very soft light gray that doesn’t go icy either. There’s a warmth to the coolness if that makes any sense. Horizon is another really good one.

And thank you too, for your kind words. Much appreciated!ReplyCancel

• Cindy Benson - January 23, 2016 - 4:33 PM

I just found your blog and I love your work! I’m redecorating my small guest bathroom and I’ve already installed a Carrara marble countertop with a very blueish. I’m thinking of painting the cabinets a dark gray and the walls a white. What Benjamin Moore color combination would you suggest? Also, what would be a good ceiling choice? Thanks so much for your help with this!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 23, 2016 - 4:44 PM

Hi Cindy,

I so appreciate your kind words, however, I am not doing paint consults at this time. There’s a lot more to it than just throwing out a color and saying it’ll be the right one for you. It’s like a doctor diagnosing an illness based on the fact that you’re not feeling well.

And if I were able to do paint consults, there is a fee for individual advice. Not to worry, you’re not alone. This is the 5th such request I’ve had—today, alone! However, I have lots of paint advice throughout the blog so maybe the answers that you seek are right here!ReplyCancel

• Julia - January 10, 2016 - 9:02 PM

HI Laurel,

I love your post! A question: I”m painting the ceiling of my living room in Benjamin Moore’s Ballerina Pink (it’s very pale). Would you use a warm grey or a cool grey for the walls? I want it to be quite light.

Thanks!
    JuliaReplyCancel

• Julia - February 2, 2016 - 8:33 PM

I followed your suggestion to use a warm, pale grey (I ended up with BM’s Classic grey) and my living room looks AMAZING!!!!

Thank you so much for your advice. I’ll send you photos when we do up the room more.

A devoted follower,
      JuliaReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 2, 2016 - 9:39 PM

Hi Julia,
        I’m so happy to hear that. We just did classic gray for an entry and she also used it to paint a bonus room I’m not involved in. It truly is such a pretty color. It’s a bit changeable but sometimes takes on the slightest hint of lavender and sometimes not. ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - January 10, 2016 - 10:09 PM

Hi Julia,

I would definitely use a warmer gray because the cooler grays tend to go towards blue and/or green. However, some of the warmer grays have a touch of lavender. You’ll have to experiment with a few probably. Testing first of course. Classic gray is a very nice pale, warm gray. There are others in this post. They are all nice. https://laurelberninteriors.com/2016/01/09/fireplace-mantel-decor/ReplyCancel

• Jeannie Lee - December 26, 2015 - 11:04 AM

Hi Laurel: I absolutely love your work. I plan to paint our living room Moonshine based on the living space you show. I had a separate question about the dining nook you show with Stonington Gray. I love the wall art that is on the wall. Do you know what that is and where I can get it?

Regards,
    JeannieReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 27, 2015 - 12:37 AM

Hi Jeannie,

Thank you so much!

I’m sorry but that’s the work of Steven Gambrel and who knows? He might not have had anything to do with it either. Sometimes the stylist will add things or the client. It looks like an original piece of art to me. His clientele would be able to afford most anything!ReplyCancel

• Rose - September 10, 2015 - 11:44 AM

Hi Laurel…I need help quickly. I have an open floor plan and high ceilings in my living room/dining room, and up the staircase to the second floor hallway. I have cream molding throughout our house (builders choice, which I’m not changing). I am torn between Revere Pewter and Stonington Gray. My draperies are gray blue satin and want to bring in that gray blue in my home…but very subtly. The painter is coming any day and I need some advice really FAST. Thanks.
    Rose SilvisReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - September 10, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Hi Rose, I’m not taking on any new work at this time, however, there are several posts on this blog about gray paint. Just put in gray in the search box on the sidebar and that’ll get you there. I recommend making a larger sample at least 12″ x 12″ on poster board and holding it flat to the wall. For more specific instructions, please subscribe to the blog and you’ll get a guide explaining how to do it. Hold the fabric next to the sample, but not in front of the light unless you have a heavy lining fabric behind it. And look at night too. Best.ReplyCancel

• Kareneliza - August 10, 2015 - 1:14 PM

I am in the process of painting several rooms gray to update the look of my house. And I’ve always liked grays. Here are some of the frays Ice used.
    I used Revere Pewter in several rooms. Upstairs I get lots of light and beige carpeting the color becomes a warm gray but downstairs where I have warm brown wood floors Revee Pewter has blue undertones. This is a very popular color that I have seen on home tours. It is also called Ice Formations. It looks best with white trim.

Edgewood Gray is a creamier gray that works well in a bathroom with cream tile and accents of gray and white towels. The hallway adjacent to the bath is Revere a Pewter and they work well together.

I am painting the bedroom a bluish gray called Nimbus. Its the shady side of the house so colors look darker there and Nimbus is nice and light I hope. The duvet is light gray with slight bluish undertones with a dark gray quilt and pure white sheets and dark wood bed frame and white side tables If I went too gray the room would look washed out so I am going to try the blue undertones in Nimbus.ReplyCancel

• Lauren - August 5, 2015 - 9:04 PM

Help! What color white trim would u use on exterior painted stonington grayReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - August 6, 2015 - 7:44 PM

Hi Lauren, I’m sorry but the comments are for general discussion not individual advice. If you’d like that kind of help, please contact me to find out about the possibility of a consultation. Thanks for stopping by in any case.ReplyCancel

• Dabney - April 14, 2015 - 8:51 PM

Gray Owl is my total go-to pale gray. I painted in my beach condo living room and in my bedroom at home. Getting ready to use it in our new condo with super high ceilings and tons of light. It doesn’t interfere with our modern art but changes tints depending on the light. Fun!
    PS. Love your blog! Helpful and inspirational!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 15, 2015 - 1:20 AM

Hi Dabney,
      I’ve never actually used gray owl, but hearing you talk about it makes me wanna run out and grab a gallon.

A lot of it is where I’m located. Although the gray movement is finally catching on, most people want more color. Thanks for stopping by and thank you too for the kind words. Means a lot to me!ReplyCancel

• Susan - March 11, 2015 - 10:34 PM

This was the post I was waiting for! So badly want my bedroom gray with a blue undertone. I sampled ( thank heaven I didn’t buy a gallon) Wickham Gray, and in artificial light it appears to be the lightest of baby blue. I think I’ll try Stonington next. If that doesn’t work I’ll go with Cloudy Sky which is a deeper color but the right mix of blue and gray. Thanks for keeping us up to date on these beautiful colors!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 9, 2015 - 6:17 PM

Hi Kathy,

CR Laine makes a similar chair. If you are interested in more information, please contact me. I’m a CR Laine Dealer.

• Kathy Galin - March 9, 2015 - 6:08 PM

Another great post….Many shades of gray (but not fifty) in my home, as well.
    Any clue as to who makes the chairs in the “source unknown”(wouldn’t you know) vignette? Looking for a pair such as that for a newly painted den.
    Thanks,
    Kathy>ReplyCancel

• Sandra Fonseca - March 9, 2015 - 12:47 PM

i’m Portuguese and living in Portugal, and really LOVE your blog! so sofisticated things, the way you wrote, the way of presente the ideas is really amazing !
    congratulations!!! is my favorite blog!

Regards
    sandraReplyCancel

• nancy keyes - March 9, 2015 - 12:46 PM

Yes, when I ordered the paint I told the paint store “winter snow’, but love thinking it is a DC color! I read the Notting Blog before deciding on the color and was thrilled that they “cracked the code”! Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 9, 2015 - 12:34 PM

Hi Nancy,

Have to chuckle a little; not about the paint color looking purple in one spot. It could’ve been a reflection from a red car outside— anything.[or not!] And that’s why I recommend making poster board samples of the color and moving it all over the room and at different times of the day and night just to see a range of possibilities.

What I’m laughing about is that Darryl Carter’s colors are not “his” colors at all. They are the old Benjamin Moore colors from the two major fan decks, just re-branded with his name. Originally, they gave them different names and numbers, then something went south with the licensing, so the numbers are back to what they really are, but apparently, the names maybe haven’t? Not sure. All I know for sure is that the DC fan deck no longer exists.

Here’s a fabulous post by Michele Ginnerty of the wonderful “My Knotting Hill” blog which explains it all very nicely.

OC-63 is really “winter snow.” It’s a cool off-white with very slight purple under tones which might or might not show up depending on the light. I love colors like that!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your paint story!ReplyCancel

• nancy keyes - March 9, 2015 - 10:15 AM

I am new to your blog and found it when searching for whites. I, too, love all things Darryl Carter. I swooned at his room at Kip’s Bay last year! I used his Somerset White (OC 63) in my living room. It has SO much pigment in it and changes all day. (The formula is entirely different in the small sample cans and the gallons…there is magenta in the gallon)I walked into the room as my painter was finishing and part of the ceiling was “purple”! When I said it I am sure the painter thought he was going to have to repaint! But it is gorgeous! Blue in some corners, even green…and beautiful white-white in other places all depending on the time of day.
    I used paperwhite in a bedroom and dressing room. It changes all day as well. Beautiful in the very sunny bedroom and a little dull in the dimly lit dressing room. NancyReplyCancel

• Janie Hayes - March 9, 2015 - 7:11 AM

Can you share the trim colors?ReplyCancel

• Tricia Heliker - March 8, 2015 - 11:34 PM

Love this post and look forward to future ones on warm gray and darker grays. I have recently selected some grays for my own home and in consultations with others. You are so right about how deceptive they can be. One that was a delightful surprise for me was Winter Gates AC-30. It looks very dark on the chart but much lighter on my walls. I love it so much I’m thinking of using it when I redo my kitchen. I also recommended it to a client for their 3rd floor office and stairwell. They are thrilled with how it looks. I have had a gray go way too purple in a master bedroom and yet it worked in the bathroom. Gray can be tricky but when you get it right there is nothing like it.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 8, 2015 - 10:23 PM
  • Karen - March 8, 2015 - 10:03 PM

Just found you a few weeks ago and really enjoying your blogs. Can you share where you bought your beautiful bathroom mirror please? Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Veronica - Casa Vilora Interiors - March 8, 2015 - 9:54 PM

Great pictures showcasing each color. I prefer GrAy. Lol. I was a spelling Bee in primary schoolReplyCancel

• Jo Galbraith - March 8, 2015 - 8:14 PM

Great post as usual Laurel! I currently have Wickham Gray in my Kitchen, Moonshine in my back entry and Horizon in my office and Guest room so I am well represented in your post! I also like Gray Owl – a lovely soft coolish gray!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 8, 2015 - 8:35 PM

Hi Jo,

I had gray owl in the post and since I’ve never used it wasn’t quite sure. I’ve read that it has slightly yellow undertones, but again like a lot of these colors, the lighting can make changes between warm and cool. Thanks as always! LaurelReplyCancel