25 Sumptuous Kitchen Pantries – Old, New, Large, Small and Gorgeous!

Many of you may have noticed that kitchen pantries are making a comeback. But for a lot of us, especially here in America, we’ve never had one.  Well, I haven’t. But oh do I wish I did!

Or for those who have had a pantry, it was some utilitarian closet filled with dry and canned food.  And yes, that is one definition of a pantry.

In England, I believe they call that the larder.

It’s a tough word for us Yanks, because larder sounds like where they keep the recipe for a heart attack.

And then, there’s the butler’s pantry.

I see the butler’s pantry sometimes as almost another kitchen, only there’s no cooking done there and only a small prep sink. And of course, only the top .001% here has an actual butler.

Finally, there’s the English Scullery where the washing up is done. I don’t think it’s ever called a scullery pantry though.

In the kitchen section, only food preparation happens and the only storage are for pots, pans and other apparatus needed for day-to-day cooking. Do I have that right?

You can’t blame me. I was raised in the all-in-one. The storage, prep, cooking and clean-up all occur inches from each other. :]

Well… I have thoroughly enjoyed myself, collecting pantries for you.

In fact, it is getting very late, so I must stop my research and write the bloody post! I have to admit that collecting and editing the photos is my favorite part of blogging. If there is no credit, it means that I couldn’t find the original source, despite numerous attempts.

I found some more obscure pantries as well, because some of these have been widely circulated. Of course, that usually means that they are superb examples.

Christina at Hackberry Hill, wrote an excellent post about the history of the pantry.

Kitchen pantries do a variety of functions other than actual cooking. I guess that we all know that much.

I was fascinated to learn that some pantries are not the closets we associate them with. In fact, some are closer in size to a football stadium! Or at least they were in some dwellings.

Whoa! That’s the butler’s pantry? Pantry??? At the Breakers in Newport, Rhode Island. Ever been there? The Newport mansions are not to be missed.

via Susan Williams

The pantry at the Biltmore House. It looks more like I imagine Bergdorf’s did about 100 years ago.

Staatsburg House built by McKim Mead and White the awesome Beaux-Artes architectural firm who also designed the legendary New York Public Library and many others. I think that this is gorgeous, but I long for a large slab of white marble on the work table.

preservation-triage-in-providence - walnut butlers pantry

The Henry Lippitt House of Providence, Rhode Island

I included these classic old pantries out of rich stained wood. I actually love the idea of a small antique walnut finish in an old home–especially a Victorian or Edwardian period home. Accents of wood in a white kitchen is handsome too.

A Gustavian butler’s pantry at Thureholm decorated in the 1740s! via Trouvais

via – Photo Gilles Trillard

Who wouldn’t want this?

Sorry the image is so poor, but it’s by Albert Hadley and I adore everything he did. I so long to see the rest of the space!

Sparrow Salvage

If you have a collection of ironstone and/or creamware, it would look fabulous in a dark pantry.

I love the idea of a hidden pantry room. That way when your guests are all congregating in the kitchen, you can make a hasty exit, shut the door, lock it and prepare your meal in peace. :]

This is from the magazine, The World of Interiors. It’s quite an extraordinary publication. If you are longing to free yourself from the anti-transitional-houzz-HGTV-medicocrity, you will enjoy it.

Southern Living – photo: Laurey W. Glenn

A very popular image on pinterest, however, the one that’s floating around is much lower res than this one. It took some doing, but I found it.  And while this isn’t a separate pantry, per se, it could be.

Okay, I’ll tell you my trick. I took the high res image on their site that was covered with social media icons and pinned it to pinterest. I have a secret board for that sort of thing. And voila, there it was.

Sims Hilditch

How pretty is this pantry that actually could be a mud-room and/or the laundry. Some pantries do double as the laundry.

I’m not sure if this is a pantry or not, but glass doors in the pantry and this pretty periwinkle blue are beautiful. I think that the pantry is a great place to try out a more daring color or a fun wallpaper.

Hayburn

Fine. Yes. It’s THE most popular pin on pinterest, but that doesn’t mean you’ve seen it. But, it doesn’t hurt to see it here, if you have. It’s perfect.

Jeffrey Alan Marks

I wish that this image was a little better, but I love the French doors for the pantry. It’s like a little shop in the kitchen.

Crisp Architects

And how clever is this idea and why haven’t I ever seen anything like this done before? It’s bloody brilliant and makes so much sense!

Another little hidden pantry. This is probably not a good idea if you have young children who enjoy scaring the crap out of you by hiding out for hours and hours. (gorging on cookies and soda, no doubt)

This one’s too pretty to have a door on it. But maybe it keeps going around the corner.

Glass fronted cabinets that end up at the gates of heaven. Yes, please.

I just adore these English pantry cabinets from Smallbone. They hold a ton in a very small amount of space. American companies have a version of them too.

There are a lot of great storage solutions here.

Classic and the rest of Julia Reed’s home is amazing too!

Another extraordinary creation by Heidi Piron. She’s an incredibly talented kitchen designer.

Cantley and Company

LOVE.

And I can’t resist sharing once again Sue Di Chiara’s perfecto dark blue butler’s pantry designed by Muse Interiors. For the rest of the home, please click the link. It’s quite gorgeous!

Elle Decorations SE

I just put this on instagram. Oh, how I wish that I had a collection of vintage china.

And don’t you just love that little door?

Is that where the hostess stashes an extra glass of wine for herself thinking that nobody will notice?

Andrea Hubbell_photodesign Sandy Muraca

I don’t know what the rest of the kitchen looks like, but I love the little drape that softens the opening. Very stylish. I also adore the ironstone and creamware.

PS: In the related content there are links to many more kitchen posts and many of them also have pantries in them. You can also do a search on kitchens in the search box and they’ll all pop up.

• Melissa Reynolds - March 9, 2017 - 1:36 PM

I have fond memories of visiting my great-grandmother’s Vermont farmhouse in the 1970s. We always sat in the kitchen or the dining room because the parlor was only for adult guests. She didn’t have a fitted kitchen. Instead there was a long work table, a wood-burning cast iron stove, a cast iron sink and a chest of drawers that served as a side board. There was a bit of a mudroom with benches and hooks on one wall. The wainscoting was painted gray blue along with the chairs.
    Then there was the pantry. Again, kids weren’t allowed, but I frequently peeked in the door. A lot of food prep was done inside the pantry at the Hoosier Cupboard which stood next to the refrigerator. There were many shelves (same blue as the kitchen) full of mason jars. The pantry might have been 12’x12′, about half the size of the kitchen. It wasn’t fancy, but it was colorful with food and warm with work. Wish I could go back in time look in the corners now that I’m old enough to enter 🙂ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 9, 2017 - 6:47 PM

Hi Melissa,

What a wonderful memory of your childhood. Shame that granny wouldn’t let you in. I bet that she had everything just so and didn’t want it disrupted. Or maybe that’s where she hid out to get a little peace and quiet. :]ReplyCancel

• Luiza - February 25, 2017 - 12:42 PM

My favorite pantry picture is the one from the front cover of the IKEA 2014 catalog: http://cdn.home-designing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IKEA-2014-Catalog.jpg . It’s more a kitchen wall with preserves than a pantry, but it reminds me of the tiny “un-kitchen” I grew up in, with a free-standing cabinet and a large pantry “closet” attached to the kitchen that had a small grid-like opening to the outside. (During a renovation, the GC tried to convince my mother that a hole to the outside bypasses all the insulation improvements they were making and she should have it closed, but she would have none of it.) My mother and grandmother did a lot of canning and preserving and us kids were drafted to help (pitting 20 kilos of sour cherries, anyone?). Every year now my mother claims she’s too old so she won’t do preserving any more, and somehow the pantry shelves still fill up with homemade apricot jam, quince paste, tomato sauce and varied pickles. Too bad I never learned to do this stuff myself (but I’m a mean cherry pitter! 🙂 )ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 26, 2017 - 1:48 AM

Hi Luiza,

Sounds very yummy. I love those kinds of memories! And yes, things like canning and lots of home-making skills– like baking are not nearly as common as they used to be. ReplyCancel

• Mid America Mom - February 24, 2017 - 1:00 AM

Thanks for sharing! Many suburban tract homes have closets in the kitchen. My grandparents had a larger older place. At the end of the kitchen Grandpa made a built in pantry ( it was using the space under the back staircase). It looked like the cabinets. The doors did hold things and you walked into that and there was more hinged storage doors at the back. It was fascinating as a kid and impressive now. *We have a hidden door in a bathroom. Looking at images of hidden doors I find is quite fun 🙂 Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 24, 2017 - 1:31 AM

Hi MAM,

Yes, come to think of it, a lot of my friends had pantries in their homes growing up in Indiana. They were strictly utilitarian and primarily to hold nonperishable food items.ReplyCancel

• Mary - February 23, 2017 - 8:17 PM

My SIL had a walk-in pantry in her Chicago bungalow. I was always envious. But she didn’t have any cabinets in her kitchen…Or counters. And she always managed to whip up some great meals.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 8:20 PM

Oh wow! I’d love to see that! That is so “unkitchen” it’s just not funny. If you don’t know, unkitchen is a word I use when a kitchen is as you described. Or at least it doesn’t have upper cabinets over the counter, or very few of them.

There can be floor to ceiling cabinets, however. And also unfitted pieces. It’s like if a regular kitchen and a living room hooked up and had a baby. :]ReplyCancel

• Paula Carli - February 23, 2017 - 12:39 PM

I loved this post about pantries!!! I have always loved these little or large rooms, particularlly in old houses. Being from back East originally, I have seen most of the New England mansions. When we would visit them on tours, the kitchen areas and pantries were always my favorite. I even have a Pantry pinterest board myself!!! In our 1930s Arts & Craft house in northern Cal, we have a fairly good sized pantry and dare I say, a butler’s pantry. I really think the butler’s pantry was the original old kitchen. I use it for everything, arranging flowers, I have an ice maker in it; a freezer; I make drinks in it; wash those extra large pots and pans. I so enjoyed every photo you provided which always gives me joy and inspiration. Pantries have been successful in involving from the past to the present.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 5:23 PM

Hi Paula,

I have to check out your pinterest boards and follow you! Thanks for the beautiful comment.

I lived in an arts and crafts home in Palo Alto back in the 70s. (just the top floor but pretty good size) The rent was $165 a month. Yes, that’s right. I did not leave out a zero. And yes, I know, it would be at least 5k now!ReplyCancel

• Amy Dennison - February 23, 2017 - 12:24 PM

I have never read a single post of your that I didn’t love, but this is the first time I’ve commented (I think). You are my favorite blogger hands down. I want to be you when I grow up! 🙂 These pantries are fab.
    PS Don’t look at my website as it’s under construction at the moment…ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 5:20 PM

Hi Amy,

Haha! No please. You don’t want to be me, but thank you so much for the lovely words!

I’m sorry. ;] I looked and great start! It’s nice and crisp and a good font that’s easy to read. ReplyCancel

• Bridget - February 23, 2017 - 11:44 AM

I just love when I open up my email and see a new post. I love my pantry and for some reason enjoy organizing it. Your posts are my favorite – I enjoy the history lesson and your wit. Thank you again!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 5:13 PM

Hi Bridget,

Would you like to come over and help me organize? lol Actually, not all that funny. Designing and organizing are two different skills. Some have both. Lucky dogs!ReplyCancel

• Marsha Stopa - February 23, 2017 - 9:44 AM

Sigh. Such gorgeous and functional spaces. Not a microwave in sight.

You are making me regret the ranch I live in. I think I had another life in another era…ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 10:54 AM

Hi Marsha,

Oh, haha on the microwave. I bet they are there in some. Did you know that there are drawer nukers? They’re quite wonderful and you’d never know it isn’t just a regular, deep drawer for pots or something.ReplyCancel

• erin@whalingcitycottage - February 23, 2017 - 9:34 AM

Okay. I just fell down the seriously deep rabbit hole that is your blog. You’re my new guru. Honest, witty and dropping design education bombs all over the place. I also totally agree on the soulless transitional industry farmhouse whatever-ness that’s happening today. I got a free issue of HGTV mag recently and literally threw it after paging through. What the sam hill are people thinking? I’m trying to make our 1950’s Cape look more 1850’s. The kitchen is next. I may need to send you an email 😉ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 10:51 AM

Hi Erin,

I hope you didn’t hurt yourself. haha! But thank you for the kind words. It’s funny, but when I began this blog, nearly five years ago, I told myself that to get the attention of anyone, I’d need to combine beautiful images and then convey everything I know (and then some).

The “then some” is not a small amount. And that is because I’ve learned a lot, producing posts and hearing from so many wonderful readers.

But that’s what’s so cool. We all learn from each other and become better designers as a result.

Did you see the previous post hi-lighting Maura Endres’ gorgeous home? I believe that her home is a 1940’s cape. And her kitchen is incredibly beautiful!ReplyCancel

• mrsben - February 23, 2017 - 8:38 AM

Reading over Libby’s comment about her Grandmother’s kitchen and pantry certainly brought memories back to me when I discovered what a walk-in pantry was. The first being my Great Grand Mother’s kitchen as very similar in description to Libby’s from what I can recall and a large pantry being off of it that miraculously produced, the best homemade wild blueberry pies on the planet! The second pantry was that of a friend of mine whom I spent many weekends with as a child when I was about eight years old, that consisted of a very large room where staples and crockery were stored that was also equipped with a ‘dumb waiter’. (Her parents were very British and yes they had two maids and actually a butler/chauffeur.) That said; one of my favourite online Butler Pantries is that of the blogger ‘Willow Decor’ whom in her 1930’s home transformed a room into one. To conclude; thank you again for another very informative and entertaining post as totally enjoyed it. Wishing you a beautiful day ….
    -Brenda-ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 10:44 AM

Hi Brenda,

That sounds fantastic! I’m going to have to look up Willow Decor’s pantry.ReplyCancel

• nancy keyes - February 23, 2017 - 8:35 AM

Beautiful Post, Laurel! I love the pantries. I think I am inspired to paint one of mine dark inside.
    Thanks for the inspiration! XOReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 10:43 AM

Hi Nancy,

That would be fabulous! I love dark pantries.ReplyCancel

• Susan Davis - February 23, 2017 - 7:38 AM

English pantry cabinet, is by, I think–

Love this post–some years back, I decorated my small, circa 1960s kitchen as English Posh-Country. I placed a small label by the sink, SCULLERY. Made me smile!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hi Susan,

Great catch! Thank you. I went in and made the change.ReplyCancel

• Dolores - February 23, 2017 - 7:31 AM

I’d love nothing better than a pantry- and I suspect that our house originally had a pantry/larder that was eviscerated and then turned into a half bath.The reason I think that’s correct is that the window is a tiny,18″x19″casement window that opens to the outside- and there is one window behind the other! I think maybe the inside window, which opens into the room would have had a screen for ventilation?.Very odd..
    I still remember the wonderful Queen Ann Victorian home we had growing up.Adjoining the kitchen was a huge butler’s pantry with glass fronted white cabinets that reached almost o the top of the ceiling..that pantry was twice the size of my present kitchen!The kitchen itself didn’t have one fitted cabinet- you would have loved it 🙂ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 10:35 AM

Hi Dolores,

All so interesting. And it sounds like you’re correct about the pantry change-over.

Oh, I’m sure that I would’ve loved your childhood home. It reminds me of a wonderful Victorian that I worked on early in my career. The previous owners gutted the very large kitchen and put one of those ultra-modern Poggenpohl kitchens in it. It was a big sea of white, shiny, flat and phenomenally out-of-place cabinetry. Criminal, actually!ReplyCancel

• Parnassus - February 23, 2017 - 3:42 AM

Hello Laurel, I once lived in a pre-Civil War house that had a huge kitchen with two attached pantries, one large and one small, which were incredibly useful. Since any built-ins were long gone, we used ordinary bookshelves. The kitchen was unusual because it had seven doors in it, perhaps eight, including one that led to an intermediate landing on the stairs.

For those sighing for the days of many servants to inhabit pantries, I once wrote about an unusual pantry tool that is now perhaps obsolete:

–JimReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 10:30 AM

Hi Jim,

Very interesting post! Thanks for sharing that. But what is messing up the fragile mechanism in my stuffy head today is the idea of 7 0 8 doors going into one kitchen. The one I did a couple of years ago, had five and I thought that was a lot.
      They went to:
      the entry
      the back stairs
      the basement
      the dining room
      outside

We removed the pantry because it would’ve meant that the range would have needed to be butted up against a wall.ReplyCancel

• Libby - February 23, 2017 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for this great post, Laurel. It was nice to see a variety of images. The Hilditch photo made me think of Mrs. Blandings’s little room, where she might have a sink and a bit of slate on the floor…I spotted the dishwasher drawer -how nice- in the Heidi Piron pantry.

My grandmother’s 1920’s kitchen had a small pantry – maybe 5’+ deep and a standard door width plus shelves wide enough to hold a dinner plate. The shelves ran the length of the pantry. The only ‘counter’ space was a built in oak cabinet below the window that was perhaps 24″ wide x 18″ deep. The kitchen itself had no cabinets or work surfaces and a held a gigantic gas stove that connected to the chimney and a sink with a metal cabinet underneath. A small refrigerator with the glove compartment ‘freezer’. An alcove for a table and chairs. That’s it. She turned out great meals in that kitchen, rolled her piecrusts in the pantry and used her clamp on meat grinder there. She was short and in order to have leverage to knead bread dough she kneeled on the floor and used on a large wooden cutting board she laid on top of a kitchen chair to knead the dough. She made her own bread weekly. Oilcloth on the shelves filled with dishes, crockery, pots and groceries. Silverware in the built in drawer in the table.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 1:04 AM

Hi Libby,

Your description of your granny’s kitchen is so vivid, I feel like I’m there! But I’ve never seen a kitchen like you described except in a photo!

I guess she didn’t feed her kids 18 different kinds of cereal, huh? Of course, they didn’t make 18 different kinds of cereal, or rather 800 kinds. haha

I have fond memories of my grandma’s kitchen. It was white (natch) and u-shaped. Quite small, but two beautiful cupboards on the eating side. And also not a lot of counter space, but she was an amazing cook. Everything she made was so yummy!ReplyCancel

• Lisa Cheff - February 23, 2017 - 12:11 AM

I absolutely love, love your blog. Please do not ever stop being your honest, straightforward and witty self! I hope you don’t delete me from your email list for this 🙂 but have you given any thought to featuring discussions on more contemporary design? I live in Seattle and we have wonderful Northwest contemporary architecture, but not a lot of cool interior inspiration to go along with it! A lot of Seattlites and more interesting in spending money on outdoor adventures than beautiful interiors 🙁

Thank you for your time.

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 12:25 AM

Hi Lisa,

Why would I delete you for asking me a perfectly fine question?

That’s a difficult question to answer because it depends on what one’s definition of contemporary is. And then some folks mix up the terms modern and contemporary.

Some people think what I’m doing IS contemporary.

But here’s something else. Just because a building is contemporary or the opposite, doesn’t mean that the furniture needs to be the same style. In fact, it is the most interesting, I think when there’s a mix, no matter what.

And thank you for your kind invitation!ReplyCancel

• Lisa D. - February 22, 2017 - 10:22 PM

There is something really special about pantries. I suppose it’s a link to an era with more gentility and grace. I’m blessed to have inherited an old house,(old by California standards). It was built in 1935, during the depression, and it has a butler’s pantry. No, I do not have a butler, but apparently the people who had the house built did have one. It needs a lot of work, and it requires a lot of upkeep, but oh, if these walls could talk. Thanks so much for this pretty pantry post, Laurel.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 22, 2017 - 10:45 PM

Hi Lisa,

That’s very interesting. in the mid 70’s when I was still in my teens, I lived in the top floor of a home built in the 30s. It had a galley kitchen which I liked a lot and windows on two sides. And then there was a little room which led to the back door and back staircase. That room had the fridge in it, but it was just outside the galley kitchen. I suppose one could’ve made it a small breakfast room, but we didn’t do that. I lived there with my sister for the first several months.

You won’t believe this, but the rent was $165 a month. Hahahahahaha! It would be $5,000/mo now, at least!ReplyCancel

• Christy Spearman - February 22, 2017 - 10:11 PM

Great post — I love pantries! I had a small butler’s pantry that held my bar/stemware and fine china. I loved it! It was great for parties – we would set up the bar there. I had a separate food pantry by the kitchen. Two very useful little rooms!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 22, 2017 - 10:14 PM

Hi Christy,

That sounds terrific and oh, I forgot to say that butler’s pantries often double as bars which is pretty cool. And also can be used when having a buffet. I think that they’re very useful and some are so, so pretty, especially when the china, stemware, silver, etc. is displayed.ReplyCancel

• Jenny - February 22, 2017 - 10:09 PM

oh my, they’re gorgeous. All of them
    and my favorite is that green one..from World of Interiors.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 22, 2017 - 10:12 PM

Hi Jenny,

Glad you like that one. It’s not the usual which I always like to see. I was on this Twitter chat thing today and there was a question about “design trends.”

It’s very difficult for me. I don’t actually care about them necessarily. Some of them I’ve liked all of my life and some of them, I never have and never will.ReplyCancel

• Nika - February 22, 2017 - 9:59 PM

Wow Laurel, once again you read my mind when you wrote this post! I am in the process of redoing my pantry and was thinking of writing to you to ask about doing a post about pantries, and here it is! Thank you so much. My pantry is large but nothing like these glorious beauties. Also it doubles as a laundry room. Believe it or not I am painting it a pale pink! I am hoping that together with white lined pine shelves and lots of white dishes it will give it a pretty, clean, slightly rustic look. My house is more country than sophisticated so it might just work. If it turns out looking like a frosted cake I’ll have to rethink. 😝 I would also be very eager to see posts about other “utilitarian” spaces like entry-ways, laundry rooms, porches, etc. Thank you again!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 22, 2017 - 10:04 PM

Hi Nika,

There are some posts about entries. Just type in Entry or Entries in the search box in the sidebar and they should pop up. There are a few laundry rooms too, but not a post as of yet specifically about laundries.ReplyCancel

• Diane - February 22, 2017 - 9:56 PM

Hi Laurel – I’m typically a lurking reader but just curious to know what ‘anti-transitional-houzz-HGTV-medicocrity’ means? What is the opposite of transitional? I’m a design neophyte – please educate me!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 22, 2017 - 10:02 PM

The opposite has a soul. If that doesn’t resonate with you, it’s okay. Just keep reading and maybe one day it’ll click. And if not, that’s also okay. :]ReplyCancel

• Turner - February 23, 2017 - 3:22 AM

Yes I had the same question. I think I get what you are saying about typical HGTV- ish stuff. But why does that term necessarily have to equal soul-less? Isn’t it determined by the execution? Is there maybe a better word for it (transitional) that isn’t so icky?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 23, 2017 - 9:59 AM

Hi Turner,

If you can come up with a better word, I would welcome that. But yes! It IS the execution of which I speak. In the soulless, there is none. It is decorating by rote. It is neither here nor there; it is not personal. There is a paucity of warmth.

This has nothing to do with money or how “high-end” something is. And in my view is not about any one particular period in time.

If you read the comments by people talking about their personal experiences, their childhood homes, their grandparents… I’m hoping that you will see the difference.

We have become a world of sheeple ruled by a butt-nekked emperor.ReplyCancel

• Pam - February 22, 2017 - 9:52 PM

My house is tiny (1926 Seattle Craftsman)
    But OH.. the wonderful inspiration. So many ways to pull a very small piece to make something wonderful. Sometimes posts (not yours)make me feel like I can never achieve that-because we have a different kind of house and stage of life. We are retired and not able to ,nor want to “do it all” to achieve perfection. But you always inspire laurel. Thank you Laurel.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 22, 2017 - 10:00 PM

Thanks so much Pam! I bet that your home is very charming!ReplyCancel

• Gloria - February 22, 2017 - 9:37 PM

You forgot “buttery”. My neighbor built a replica of a Colonial Williamsburg house, complete with a buttery. She loved to brag about her buttery. When we moved I had a big pantry and filled it full of food and dishes and was always playing in there. My husband asked “Is this your buttery?” I said no, it’s my puttery.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 22, 2017 - 9:40 PM

Hi Gloria,

Haha. Great pun!

It’s funny, I never heard the term “buttery” until about 5 hours ago. But it’s in that link about the history, I think.ReplyCancel

• Barbara - February 26, 2017 - 12:37 PM

Laurel, for what it’s worth, designer and lifestyle author Alexandra Stoddard has used the term “buttery” a couple of times in her books, in reference to the pantry in her 1775 Connecticut cottage. A favorite activity here, it seems, is arranging flowers in her “functional, charming walk-in closet.” Loved this blog, by the way–so inspirational! Very timely as well, since we’re building a house with both a food pantry and a butler’s pantry.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 26, 2017 - 12:44 PM

Hi Barbara,

I love all of the English words because they sound quaint and old-fashioned. I’m definitely an old-fashioned girl at heart. And buttery sounds so yummy. Glad the post has provided inspiration for your new home. Sounds fabulous!ReplyCancel

• Leigh - February 22, 2017 - 9:27 PM

Amazing and dreamy post, Laurel!

That gorgeous pinterest pantry is by Hayburn & Co., a UK firm. Here’s a link to the rest of the house with more built-ins they did: http://www.hayburn.com/recent-projects/coastal-hideaway-sandbanks/ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - February 22, 2017 - 9:30 PM

Thanks so much Leigh! You know, I did have that one, but, oh never mind… Too many tabs open! haha. I’ll change it right now.ReplyCancel