9 Fabulous Shades of Green Paint and One Common Mistake

This is the problem with green. Well, it’s not exactly a problem, but it is.

Probably about a quarter of the colors in the fan deck are some shade of green. There are a zillion shades! It takes nothing for green to pop out of colors that don’t look green UNTIL they go up!

In fact, here’s a post with some of my favorite shades  of green paint that don’t say “green.”

books-by-the-footgreen, green, green

Books By the Foot

This is especially true in north facing rooms. One time, several years ago, I was helping a client with her bedroom. Everything and I mean everything looked green. Even pink looked green. It was the weirdest. Finally, we went with a lovely cream which took on a very pale celery color and it was lovely.

With that in mind and that you probably want to go to sleep at some point today, I’m going to give you the usual 9 fabulous shades, but am going to steer clear of the less obvious shades of green for the most part.

Maybe. I don’t know.

You see… there are too many fabulous shades! I could probably list 200! But I won’t.

This post will center around shades of green paint that are unabashedly green. Nothing to make you go blind, but 9 really great shades for you to try out.

What is the common mistake with shades of green wall paint?

I’ve been through this mistake before but in case you missed it or this is the first time with us on laurel home, here it is.

You get all nervous that it’s going to be “too much” and you dilute it with white. (mixing it at “50%” or something like that) Or, you wimp-out and pick that really sickly, icy tooth-pasty minty-green. AKA: Hospital green. Or Crest Toothpaste

Please don’t. You’ll hate yourself if you do. And after you read this post, that lovely sage green is not going to look like too much, I promise you.

One thing to always keep in mind and I forget it too is that unless the room is a basement or something, most rooms have windows, doors, furniture and stuff on the wall. Usually, the paint color is a backdrop, not the main event.

Many of the greens today are not ones that I have done, however… they came highly recommended by people I trust and I checked them out and I approve.

J1-seguy-575source unknown but it’s a cool color chart for sure.

NANCY BRAITHWAITE ATLANTANancy Braithwaite

While I think the styling is a bit lagging, and some of those hurricane jars look like they haven’t been cleaned in a decade, this is such a wonderful dining room. The rich mural, chairs and drapes all out of the same cloth is just right.

annie sloan facebookAnnie Sloan Chalk Paint in Antibes Green with dark wax finish and gold leaf accents.

Annie Sloan has become pretty hot. Apparently, painting furniture with her paint is about as idiot proof as one can get. Smart lady. And she provides lots of tutorials to show you how easy it is (for her.)

miles-redd-green-living-roomMiles Redd

Benjamin Moore AMAZON MOSS 2037-10

I adore Miles so much! He can take a really ugly green like this and make it glorious. I mean, it really IS billiard cloth green. Like ewwww… But here, no. That’s genius!

Another thing I’ve realized is that green loves itself more than any other color I think. If you don’t like the green you’ve chosen, select art with other shades of green and it’ll start to come together.

traditional-living-room-mario-buatta-southampton-new-york-201307-2_1000-watermarkedMario Buatta

Benjamin Moore 416 TASTY APPLE

Benjamin Moore CHIC LIME 396

I love this cheery chartreuse. What makes me laugh is the little chair facing the adults? And the end table blocking the door. You’re not leaving until we say you can leave! haha.

madcap-cottage-design-greenMadcap Cottage

Benjamin Moore PEACEFUL GARDEN CSP-830

John Loecke and Jason Oliver Nixon, the guys behind this company, gave a charming talk at the Design Blogger’s Conference last month. They’re all about traditional elements expressed with exuberant color and fun fabrics. This green is a classic sage but not boring.

dining-nook-buaia-burdge-associates-architect-green-chinoiserieBuaia Burge & Associates

I couldn’t resist sharing this charming dining nook featuring green Chinoiserie wallpaper

hotel particulier in the Marais Private Houses of FranceHotel Particulier in the Marais en Paris

Farrow and Ball BREAKFAST ROOM GREEN 81

Tres French

1stdibs | French Chinoiserie Style Sideboard by Maison JansenMaison Jansen via 1st Dibs

Gotta have a little Chinoiserie detail from this fabulous over-priced chest

201300718_SHEILABRIDGES-slide-J9XU-jumbo1

201300718_SHEILABRIDGES-slide-Z9Q7-jumbo

Above and below by the extraordinary Sheila Bridges. You may recall that she’s one of the top 20 interior designers that I would hire. This color is said to be

Farrow and Ball CHURLISH GREEN 251

which is a fabulous green-yellow. The original images looking nothing like Churlish, so I edited them. They were both far greener than this lovely yellow-green.

The lesson is: Never trust a color from an image. 9 times out of 10, the real color will look very different.

gil-schafer-Fairmont-Penthouse-Gil Schafer

Windsor SmithWindsor Smith brings the outdoors inside, in this lovely room with a spectacular view

Farrow & Ball STUDIO GREEN 93

This green is almost black but it’s not; very sophisticated.

malcom-rains-five-pears-september-2011Love this enigmatic painting by Malcolm Rains

julie-bidwell-wall-street-journal-fresh-cut-grass-shades-of-green-paintPhoto by Julie Bidwell for the Wall Street Journal

Benjamin Moore FRESH CUT GRASS 2026-50

A very yellow-green, but fresh and lovely as you can see here.

charles-spada-library-green-paint-colorsCharles Spada

Benjamin Moore GREEN THUMB CSP-870

a true grass-green from Benjamin Moore’s newest collection of colors–Color Stories. I’ve been following Charles since I was a student back in the 80’s. Fabulous interior designer!

farrow-and-ball-greenFarrow and Ball

Farrow and Ball CAULKE GREEN 34

Is a true English library green, but could be used in other rooms as well.

*********

And here is the info graphic with all of the colors except for fresh-cut grass and the Annie Sloan color.

best shades of green paint

Spring has sprung in New York. The trees are finally budding, the birds are chirping. Interesting things are happening. Much more to come!

For more outstanding shades of green, please click here.

laurel

• Gail Theresa Caryn - March 26, 2017 - 2:12 AM

Thank you so much for the colour help! In your portfolio there is an entryway with a black armoire beside a white column. What colour of green is the wall in that photo? Is it the green thumb? I also LOVE the green wallpaper!!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 26, 2017 - 9:46 AM

Hi Gail,

I believe that is Sherwood Green HC-118. The wallpaper is from Thibaut.ReplyCancel

• Laurie - November 8, 2016 - 11:32 PM

Hi! Can you please tell me which color is displayed in your photo above (BM Tasty Apple or BM Chic Lime)?
    Any suggested colors to pair with these two greens for my kitchen (medium brown wood floors/cabinets)?

• Laurel Bern - November 9, 2016 - 3:22 PM

Hi Laurie,

The colors presented are a suggestion of what they might be. I cannot know what you are seeing or how the photo is reading. And I can’t see your space. Therefore, I’m not able to make specific recommendations. And if I did, I charge a hefty fee for consultations. But I’m not doing them right now, especially long-distance.ReplyCancel

• Angela - December 19, 2016 - 11:20 AM

The first part of Laurie’s question was about the specific shade of green used in the photo (with table in front of door) because two colours are given (BM Tasty Apple or BM Chic Lime) but the photo seems to show only one colour. Can you tell us which one it is? Or, if it’s both, which one is dominant. It’s hard (impossible?) to see any difference via a computer screen. Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - December 19, 2016 - 11:58 AM

Hi Angela,

Truth be told, I am not sure. The colors are usually put to give an idea. And here’s why. We are looking at a photograph which frequently distorts colors and then through a computer monitor which may distort the colors even further.

And then there’s the lighting… It goes on and on… What I recommend is if one sees a color they like, to try and find a color that looks like that (at least part of the time) in their home.

And to do that, one must test. I feel very strongly that unless one has a lot of experience choosing paint colors that testing is vital.

This post is helpful.

• Angela - December 20, 2016 - 5:40 PM

I see. I always test anyway. Thank you.

• Cara - September 11, 2016 - 9:04 AM

When trying new colors I paint neutral paper my paint store gives me, 2×3 feet. I post them in corners folded, on two adjoining walls, because the color can intensify when reflecting on itself. I wanted a clear yelow with no green ( Lauren “Citrus” was it). I look at them in all lights.

If your client’s pink bedroom was greenish, could be the trees cast that light. That is what kept happening with my yellow room in summer when the trees were in leaf.

I Have a hard time with beiges that. go pinkish or take on a lavemder tinge. I find it helps to. ask the paint store for. the formula.

Just found your site. I love your tone!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - September 11, 2016 - 1:41 PM

Hi Cara,

That is great advice about folding it over in the corners because you are absolutely right. What looks like a pretty warm beige suddenly could go purple or green or something not expected in the corner and your eye will go straight to it!ReplyCancel

• Tara Winston - January 9, 2016 - 7:08 PM

What are your thoughts on BM’s Paris Rain? Is it too minty?
    Thank you.ReplyCancel

• Barbara Sobierajski - October 18, 2015 - 8:29 PM

Hi, I’m” so happy” I came across you!! I voice googled: “WHAT COLOURS WIRK WELL WITH LAUREL GREEN” & I FOUND THIS INSTEAD!! YAAAAEEE 🙂
    I have been pulling hair trying to the exact (or closest) name of green fir my couch & love seat, & finally found it to be LAUREL GEEEN. I AM DESPERATE X10 TO FIND THE APPROPRIATE COLOUR “DRAPES” ??? (LIVING ROOM)
    SO… MY WALLS ARE WHITE.& HAVE LONG LIGHT BROWN (ALMOST BEIGY WOODED FLOORS. MOST OF MY FURNITURE IS BEAUTIFUL DARK BROWN (ANTIQUE WALL UNIT DRESSER ETC. MY CEILINGS GO ON FOREVER ( INDUSTRIAL /OPEN CONCEPT. MY WINDOWS ARE… LENGTH~ x102 inches
    WIDTH~ 69 INCHES
    I HAVE 3 EXACT WINDOWS
    I HAVE MANY PLANTS ( 6 FT PLANT & A 30 FT VINE FOUND MOSTLY IN THE CARRIBEAN. I FOUND A SITE CALLED PLANT DOCTOR & I SENT HIM PICS & HE WAS SHOCKED TO SEE THAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GROW IT THAT LONG.
    BACK TO MY S.O.S DESPERATE FOR HELP QUESTION..
    * WHAT SHADE OF CURTAIN WOULD MATCH WELL WITH MY LAUREL GREEN COUCHES, DARK BROWN ANTIQUE FURNITURE, HARDWOOD FLOORS & PLANTS ( VERY IMPORTANT TO TELL YOU THAT I GET SUN 7 HRS A DAY (FULL SUN!!) SO I NEED A DARKER SHADE TO KEEP SUN OUT & PERHAPS RIE THEM WHEN I WANT SUN
    CAN YOU PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME W/ A FEW RECCOMENDATIONS???
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS SUPER LONG EMAIL. (I JUST DIDNT WANT TO LEAVE ANYTHING OUT)
    HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU,ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - October 19, 2015 - 8:22 AM

Barbara, hun… you are asking a lot here. I’m sorry but this is a place to comment on posts not get a free consultation that I normally charge hundreds of dollars for. However, look at my most recent post please about the Benjamin Moore Color of the year (Simply White.) dated 10.18.2015. The answer that you seek lies there. Best.ReplyCancel

• Sarah B. - April 26, 2015 - 2:20 PM

Love all these luscious images and your helpful descriptions. I agree that green loves green, but it seems to me, from these images and from my own experience, that it also loves its opposites, reds and pinks and warm wood tones and gold accents, don’t you agree? Boy is that (overpriced) green and gold chinoiserie chest gorgeous!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 26, 2015 - 8:44 PM

Hi Sarah,
      Indeed. It does love it’s opposites. It loves all of the colors! But for me there’s something about many different greens all together that feels so good!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 19, 2015 - 4:22 PM

Hi Molly, Terrific. You should have the guide to help with selecting paint colors. If you’re still not sure, perhaps you’ll need a consultation. Please contact me through the contact tab in the menu. Fees start at $90 for one-room paint consultation.ReplyCancel

• Molly - April 19, 2015 - 4:05 PM

Yes, I’m a subscriber. 🙂 I asked about Vert de Terre because it’s one of the greens I’m considering for my office. I want to evoke a feeling of timelessness, with a touch of English country, to cover the different historical periods in which I write.ReplyCancel

• Molly - April 16, 2015 - 7:26 PM

Hi Laurel. I really enjoyed this post. Green is a color I love but sometimes struggle with. Could you tell me what you think of Farrow and Ball’s Vert de Terre? It looks great on the chip, but I have zero reference for how it looks in person, so to speak.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 17, 2015 - 1:18 AM

Thanks so much Molly! Have you subscribed? If so, you’ll get a free guide where I spell out how to select paint colors. Looking at the chip is only a suggestion of the true color.I’ve never used it but I checked my chips and it looks like a nice sagey mid-tone green. I think it would make a great neutral backdrop. That’s another thing with green. It’s a universal color that goes with everything!ReplyCancel

• Christina - April 16, 2015 - 7:05 PM

Chartreuse is one of the best colors ever! And really hard to spell!ReplyCancel

• Vicki Johnston - April 15, 2015 - 9:04 PM

Love all the greens, and each one could almost be considered a neutral. I painted my kitchen green once with white cabinets, and it was so soothing and elegant. Thanks for all the great pictures, LaurelReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 15, 2015 - 9:22 PM

Hi Vicki,

My old kitchen was Pratt and Lambert Flaxseed which is a yellow-green with a good amount of brown in it. I never tired of it. My current kitchen, I think is BM pale avocado. It’s a similar color and I like this one too!ReplyCancel

• Lucy - April 15, 2015 - 8:47 PM

I am interested in painting my craft room with BM Guilford Green–any thoughts on that green?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 15, 2015 - 8:56 PM

Hi Lucy,

It’s an okay color. I know the BM has been pushing it this year.
      Don’t forget to test the paint on poster board and move it around the room.ReplyCancel