Exquisite Scenic Wallpaper Murals + Sources

Hi Everyone,

Some of you have asked for a post about Panoramic, Scenic Wallpaper Murals.

Last week we looked at affordable Chinoiserie wallpaper panels which can also be wall murals.

But today’s murals depict scenery. Panoramic scenes. And, these could be somewhere exotic/tropical, or located in an Arcadian setting in Europe, the U.S. Or, something the artist made up.

Quite a while back, there were these two posts where we looked at some expensive hand-painted panoramic wall murals.

One is this post about Grisaille wallpapers.

And, in its sister post about more Grisaille wallpapers

Grisaille, if you don’t already know are tone-on-tone designs rendered in gray or sepia. Sometimes, some color is added to parts of the image.

grisaille rebecca brandon

Above is a dining room by Rebecca Brandon (she does not have a website to link to) with one of my favorite Grisaille scenic wall murals by De Gournay.

YR Mural - like De gournay grisaille panoramic wallpaper mural

This panoramic wallpaper is credited to YR Mural. That is another source for hand-painted Chinoiserie papers. They have been around for quite a while. It is evident that they are taking designs from the other big companies like De Gournay, Paul Montgomery and Zuber. I don’t know how they get away with doing that. Maybe they have changed the designs just enough. Not sure.

And, I don’t know how much these papers are, but if anyone has ordered from YR Mural and can share their experience, that would be terrific!

Gournay for far less money

Actually, this printed mural from the Chinoiserie wall panel post a week ago, is very similar.  The source is ChinoiserieHomeDeco on Etsy.

YR Mural - Eden - scenic wallpaper murals

This is another wallpaper mural from YR Murals

Below is a printed scenic wallpaper mural found on Etsy

Tropical Rainforest Wallpaper, Vintage Grey - Florawallpaper - Etsy - Grisaille scenic wallpaper mural

Tropical Rainforest Wallpaper, Vintage Grey – Florawallpaper – Etsy.  To be clear, all of the papers from Etsy are printed and a LOT less money than anything hand-painted.  Many of these also come in a removable version. But some also require traditional installation.

Florawallpaper is a new source with a lot of beautiful scenic wallpaper murals and many others– And great reviews.

Paul Montgomery Studio Scenic Wallpaper MuralsSwitching things up, I want to revisit fabulous Paul Montgomery. In addition to his beautiful Chinoiserie designs, he also does some equally exquisite panoramic, scenic wallpaper murals.

Low Country Room- Paul Montgomery Studio - scenic wallpaper muralsLow Country Room- Paul Montgomery Studio

And, the reason that I’m including the expensive stuff is because Paul has recreated via Mural Sources many of his hand-painted designs. This is the super high-quality printed version that we discussed last week. And printed like my bedroom is. For example, check out the detail below.

Panoramic wall mural detail - Mural Sources

This is a detail from Mural Sources. Yes, this is a print! And as great as it looks here, I can assure you that up close it is even more magnificent! Please notice the design is identical to the hand-painted version, above. This part of the design is towards the bottom left.

Another Paul Montgomery scenic mural in this traditional dining room.

Jefferson County Mural SourcesJefferson County from Mural Sources. Again, this is a print! Extraordinary!

Dixie-Paul Montgomery - panoramic mural

This is one of my favorites from Paul Montgomery, entitled Dixie and hand-painted.

And, yes. It is also available at Mural Sources. (below)

Dixie Mural Sources - Scenic Wallpaper Mural

This is an excerpt from the large wall mural (Dixie) from Mural Sources. You can get samples of these murals which I highly recommend. I promise that your eyes will be popping out of your head when you get them.

Now, I want to share some more printed scenic wallpaper murals I found on Etsy. These are quite affordable and there are dozens of beautiful murals in differing styles. And also a few new sources!

Florawallpaper - etsy - Tropical rainforest wall - scenic wallpaper murals

Florawallpaper – etsy – Tropical rainforest wallpaper mural

AwallonDesign Vintage chinoiserie scenic wallpaper murals – tropical theme

Chinoiserie wallpaper, tropical forest wallpaper Etsy - scenic wallpaper murals

Awallondesign Chinoiserie wallpaper, tropical forest wallpaper Etsy

ChinoiserieWallDeco - landscape scenic wallpaper murals

ChinoiserieWallDeco – on Etsy

ChinoiserieWallDeco -panoramic affordable scenic wallpaper murals

ChinoiserieWallDeco -scenic affordable wallpaper murals. This one is grisaille-ish, but it comes in other colorways.

Please forgive the hideous bed.

Blue Willow Decor - Etsy Old View Fairmount Philadelphia scenic wallpaper murals

Blue Willow Decor – Etsy Old View Fairmount Philadelphia

Coordonne - Lotus - Aloe colorway - wallpaper direct - scenic wallpaper murals

And, a wallpaper with a water color effect – from Coordonne – Lotus – Aloe colorway – from Wallpaper Direct.

Another really great source is MakeupWallDecor on Etsy. They have dozens of gorgeous scenic wallpaper murals.

Okay, and to finish off, a very special treat.

Some of you may know of the phenomenally talented muralist, Susan Harter.

She has taken the Arcadian style and loosened it up in a most fetching painterly way.

Susan Harter - scenic wallpaper murals - fabulous dining roomSusan does hand-paint her murals, but many of them also come in a printed version. The samples you can get are only $8.00 I don’t know how much her printed murals are, however. They can be customized, as well, especially color-wise.

Please do check out her website. It is STUNNING!

m.and.m.interior.design.portfolio.interiors.library.living.family.room-scenic wallpaper murals

M and M Interior Design

Above is a Susan Harter grisaille mural done for a showhouse.

PTLeader.com - Susan Harter scenic wallpaper murals

Another one of Susan Harter’s enchanting Scenic Wallpaper Murals.

Susan Harter - scenic wallpaper murals Calmsden True dining room mural over wainscoting and fireplace painted trim

One last Susan Harter beauty.

Well, I hope that you enjoyed these panoramic, (mostly) affordable scenic wallpaper murals.

• Amy Dennison - May 15, 2019 - 5:01 PM

Thought you might enjoy seeing my artist friend Charlotte Terrell’s FABULOUS CUSTOM WALLPAPER feature on Nashville’s StyleBlueprint. I loved your post on stunning wallpapers! You’ll definitely like Charlotte’s work too! 🙂

• Mary - May 13, 2019 - 5:52 AM

I have a question about the hot sales page. Should I be able to click on an image and be taken to the website, like OLK for example? Nothing happens when I click, and I don’t know if it’s a setting on my iPad or it’s supposed to be that way.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 14, 2019 - 12:30 AM

Yes, it’s most likely a setting on your I-pad. Usually, it’s an ad or pop-up blocker that’s the culprit.ReplyCancel

• Holl Dumont - May 9, 2019 - 9:00 PM

I’m very excited, after reading this, I found Muralsmyway.com I have found the perfect mural for my beach house dining room.

Alas, my basement painting has gone awry. I did BM cotton balls, and now the walls are Green! When I did the test paint, there were no leaves on the trees. Alas, now, I have green bounce. I must find a grey white to get rid of the green.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 10, 2019 - 12:47 AM

Hi Holl,

Great about the mural. As for the paint color, please remember that when the leaves are gone or at night, with different lighting, you’ll have another situation. Also, don’t know if the furniture is in. That makes a huge difference. As well as different times of the day.ReplyCancel

• Paula - May 9, 2019 - 11:07 AM

Such beauty! The low country dining room with the modern blue parsons table took my breath away. I don’t think I’d have the courage to do the room but I sure would like to visit. Thank you!ReplyCancel

• GL - May 9, 2019 - 3:49 AM

Yes indeed, placing the mirror or whatever is a problem, which is why a DIY version does have that one advantage!
    One addition: murals and trompe l’œil decoration areReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 9, 2019 - 11:04 AM

It looks like you hit send before you finished your sentence?ReplyCancel

• GL - May 9, 2019 - 3:46 AM

Just an addition: another place for murals is the stair hall. There’s a wonderful example in my part of the world,at the château de Syam (aka Villa Palladienne). Unfortunately no pics anywhere — the original Zuber paper was restored fairly recently — it’s a grisaille of the ItReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 9, 2019 - 11:03 AM

Thank you Gilly! There’s an image here somewhere of a beautiful Suzanne Kasler stair case with a wonderful mural. And some of the grisaille posts have stair walls as well.ReplyCancel

• JW - May 9, 2019 - 1:40 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing that website! I love so much of that art. I can’t believe they allow and encourage people to download the great images and get creative with them.ReplyCancel

• Amy Dennison - May 8, 2019 - 9:36 PM

Hi Laurel! You should have a look at my friend Charlotte Terrell’s art…she’s a Nashville Artist who is now doing custom wallpaper of her paintings. Check her out here: http://www.charlotteterrell.com If you want to see more, let me know! amydennison461@gmail.comReplyCancel

• Dian Jones - May 8, 2019 - 7:21 PM

I enjoyed the post, Laurel. I am a wallcovering installer, so I have seen a lot of them. ReplyCancel

• Amy M Holmes - May 8, 2019 - 4:51 PM

Laurel – These images are beautiful, but I would love to hear your thoughts on using a mural for a feature wall, vs around the room like many of the examples shown.ReplyCancel

• Diana - May 8, 2019 - 2:10 PM

The bed is unattractive but Laurel, the beautiful scene in M & M Design with the dark switchplate is getting to me. I know we see this all the time. I have some in my home and it is an easy fix. Just be sure you “chat” with the electrician so he can do the right thing then you can take it from there with blending in so you never see it. I had a light switch right in the middle of a grouping of art. I cut out part of the back of a fake book, put it over the ugly switch and it fits right into the grouping of pics. All I do is open the book when I want to turn the switch.
    With M & M Design, they could have specified a color for the switches and then had the plate wallpapered and it would have blended right in.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 8, 2019 - 2:46 PM

Hi Diana,

I agree with you completely and I love what you did with the book! If it’s just straight paint, I’m not too phased,if the back plate isn’t the same color. But interrupting a work of art with a black rectangle is distracting and unnecessary. My paper hanger always covered the back plates with the wall paper. This would be more difficult in this case, because I am sure that he used the part of the design from another piece of the wallpaper since it needs to be wrapped a little and it’s not perfectly flat.

The expensive way would be ordering two of that particular panel. But in lieu of that, at least a plain colored paper picking up the main background color would at least make the switch far less conspicuous. Or, the back-plate could be painted or there’s probably a company that does different colors of back-plates that fit in. This doesn’t look like a regular back-plate, however. Not sure what the deal is there.ReplyCancel

• Cynthia Lambert - May 8, 2019 - 9:14 AM

Very informational! And what lovely, lovely papers. Thanks, Laurel!ReplyCancel

• Lily - May 8, 2019 - 8:53 AM

OMG That dusty blue fireplace in the last photo. *dies* My goodness am I duplicating that.

And can we talk about how they matched the rolltop dresser paint to the moulding in the photo before? Genius! That piece could really be overwhelming next to the table, but it just blends without disappearing.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 8, 2019 - 11:26 AM

Hi Lily,

I love all of the Susan Harter images. Her work is da bomb! I am hoping that someone will have done her printed papers to know the price. I believe that I read between $31-$38 a square foot. That’s not cheap. So, I’m wondering if that’s the price for a hand-painted mural. A room that’s 15 feet square with a nine foot ceiling would be about 20k. But, that doesn’t account for openings. I’m definitely going to add her to Laurel’s Rolodex! ReplyCancel

• Mary E. - May 8, 2019 - 8:03 AM

Good morning, Laurel.
    These are all exquisite! I’m drawn to dining rooms that have all 4 walls done with a mural, an antique table & the remainder of the furniture is very modern. And it must have a modern light fixture. That would be my dream dining room.
    Also, check out Anthropologie. They sell murals. A couple of them would be adorable for a child’s nursery.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 8, 2019 - 11:20 AM

I nearly included Anthro, but I do link to their wallpapers and murals frequently and it was late, so I left them out this time. But they do have some terrific pieces! Gosh, at this point, with well over 600 blog posts, it’s bound to be on here somewhere! Thanks for the reminder, however.ReplyCancel

• Rose - May 8, 2019 - 7:35 AM

These are all gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing all the different sources!ReplyCancel

• GL - May 8, 2019 - 7:07 AM

Three questions: how far can one / should one go in layering things on the walls? There are examples of sconces, mirrors, but nothing else here.
    Second, why is it that most of the rooms one sees with a mural are dining rooms — because one doesn’t stay there too long (except in France, 3-4 hours for dinner is the norm)?
    Third, I see a lot of murals on decorating posts at the moment. Is this a trend everyone will get sick of pretty soon (a recent post by adelaidevilla lambasts the fashion for cut-price chinoiserie)?
    Lastly, sorry for the embarrassingly silly suggestion I made a bit ago — over-enthusiasm is a dangerous thing!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 8, 2019 - 11:17 AM

Hi GL,

Honestly, I have no recollection of any silly suggestion, so no worries on that count. Haha. Americans spending 3-4 hours on dinner? Sounds divine to me if spending it with wonderful friends! But the mainstream, it’s more like 3 or 4 minutes! haha.

While murals do appear to be on trend at the moment, they’ve been around since cavemen times.

As for layering. I find that paintings over wallpaper is a great look, but generally, people don’t put up much in the way of artwork over murals. It makes sense, because the mural IS the artwork! So, yes… sconces and maybe a mirror. But dang, it always seems that the place the mirror should go is the best part of the mural!ReplyCancel

• Elie - May 8, 2019 - 6:38 AM

Laurel, you rock!
    Amazing post, useful, full of information. I love you!!! The only problem for me that you’re like The Game of Thrones. I just read this blog post and I can’t wait for another one. But I have to be patient and wait for one week. Such a hard life.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 8, 2019 - 11:11 AM

Hi Elie,

Thank you so much, but there are two posts a week. The other one comes out on Sunday ET. I hope that you’re receiving it! And then there’s the Friday Hot Sales which links to some of my favorite pieces that are on sale. And yes, if one buys something after clicking the link, I will make a commission, however, I also post a lot of useful information in the little blurb underneath the images. Not every image, but some will say things like… I would use this table as a whatever and one time I had a client who whatever. Just little soundbites of info.ReplyCancel

• Maxine - May 8, 2019 - 3:52 AM

Hi Laurel, thanks for another interesting post.
    I’m just wondering if you know about Rijksstudio? https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/rijksstudio It is an online access point for images in the Rijks Museum, Holland. In Rijksstudio you can download copyright free images of the museum’s holdings. Great for decorating generally – my local printer does A3 for 50c each. No reason to be bored by the same old pictures ever again.
    You can get very high resolution images and I’ve often thought they would make fantastic ‘Old Master’ murals. Some of your creative followers may like to give it a go.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 8, 2019 - 11:07 AM

Hi Maxine,

Oh wow! That sounds terrfic! I would love to go there one day. Thanks for sharing that info.ReplyCancel

• Korina - May 8, 2019 - 1:03 AM

Great post, but your email for it is sending me to your last post instead of this one!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 8, 2019 - 1:39 AM

I promise. I checked all three links, but despite my best efforts, it happens– once a year! But, always know that the post IS there under the blog category in the main menu and that there are always three links in email, I send out; the title, the image and at the end. One of them should work! I did send the email out again, with the correct link at the end.ReplyCancel