I’m Having Trouble Finding Decent Round Dining Tables That Extend

Please don’t be confused by the date. It is a very old post, but it’s been completely revamped, expanded and updated.

One of my favorite rooms to furnish in a home is the dining room. And my favorite table shape are round dining tables– preferably with a leaf (or leaves) so that it could become an oval and be able to seat more people.

I love the shape and I love how round dining tables are so congenial for conversation

Not all dining rooms can accommodate a round table, but most can with some clever maneuvering.

The room doesn’t have to be square, but it does have to have enough usable space on two walls for a server and a china cabinet, in most cases.  Generally, I like a table of from 54″-72″  in diameter. Although there is nothing wrong with having a 42″ or 48″ dining room if the space is tight.

A 54″ table one will very comfortably sit six or seven, a 60″ can sit up to eight and a 72″ can sit up to ten.  In the Bronxville dining room we did a 72″ table and it is the perfect size for that room.  Another round dining table I did back in 2001, can be seen here.

One thing I need to point out about all dining tables is something I hear all the time.

It’s the veneer issue.

This is very difficult, I realize because we’ve been programmed to think of veneer as cheap crap.

And yes, it can be.

But THE finest most expensive, the $30,000 dining tables are ALL made from veneers.

Yes, they are.

Why? It makes for a stable non-warping table-top. That’s why. It’s how it’s been done for centuries.

How many people can you sit at your round dining tables?

Well, partly it depends on the chairs. If you chair is 20″ wide, you’ll want at least 2″-4″ inches on either side of the chair— minimum. So, using the pi method to figure out the circumference here are the numbers for some common size dining tables

36″ D = 3-4

40″ D – 4

48″ D = 4-5

54″ D = 6

60″ D = 6 – 7

66″ D = 7

72″ D = 8

If your chairs are smaller, like 16″-18″ you can probably squeeze in one more chair for the 54″ – 72″ sizes.

Of course, many round tables are extendable (we’ll be getting to that later on) and then depending on how many leaves and the size of the leaves, you add more.

One other thing to keep in mind is that today’s chairs are frequently, IMO over-scale. Here is where you can find numerous dining room chairs that are all in good scale.

One last bit of business regarding round dining tables.

The chandelier.

Well, for a round dining table, the fixture is usually… uhhhh — round.

How big a round?

A standard diameter for a round dining table is half of the width of the table– max. I would not go larger than that, but you can go a little smaller.

Here is some dining room inspiration,  featuring round dining tables.

alexa-hampton-dining-room-round dining room tables Architectural Digest

Alexa Hampton

Timeless and so, so pretty this dining room is! Alexa is one of my favorite designers— so talented! I’ve met her a few times as well and she’s also screamingly funny!

round dining tables - Kelly Grosso via Maison Luxe

Kelly Grosso via Maison Luxe

Fabulous colors and I adore the wall panels

Steven Gambrel

This is one of my favorite dining rooms ever. Love the tone-on-tone Chartreuse!

More of Steven Gambrel here.

round dining tables Allison Hennessey

Allison Hennessey

Design Loves Detail

The dark table is perfect amongst the pale furnishings. Gorgeous banquette!

Dining Area - lake view - bay window - monochromatic color scheme - round Table Hickman Design Associates - round dining tables

Hickman Associates

Pretty dreamy, eh?

Suzanne Rheinstein round dining tables - Chinoiserie wallpaper

Suzanne Rheinstein

Fabulous traditional dining room and I adore the Chinoiserie wallpaper. It reminds me of Mark D. Sikes.

Via Swede - Round Dining Tables

Swede

Love this Swedish influenced pale, monochromatic dining room.

The only thing is—The rug should be a bit larger. The chairs should be sitting on the rug completely.

I would go at least one foot wider.

Bunny Williams

Bunny inherited the Victorian round dining table from her aunt.

Phoebe Howard

Laurel Bern Interiors Portfolio - round dining tables

This is the same table as Phoebe’s dining room that we did in the Bronxville dining room a few years ago. It is a 72″ round with two leaves. Phoebe’s table looks to be a 60″. The dining table is to the trade from Englishman’s Furniture. One of the 36 sources or so in Laurel’s Rolodex that I cannot live without!

Below are some terrific round dining tables that I found.

The round dining tables below are mostly antique and vintage but one or two are new. Getting a wonderful old table for a great price and fixing it up if it needs to be fixed is a great idea!

A few comments about some of the tables

This is from a wonderful company, On Point Wood Design, I found which will make a totally custom table for you. Many different styles.

And they can also send you an unfinished table, like the one above if you like, so you can have a go at it, if that sort of thing appeals to you.

This is a way cool table I found on Chairish. It’s enhanced by the brown paper and blue tape so artfully covering the floor. I’ll forgive them, though because they did paint their brick fireplace surround.

It’s an early 20th century ebony table. Very sophisticated. It can accommodate a leaf of up to 24″, but it would have to be made. The table is only $699.00, so that is a great deal.

This ebonized table is also wonderful. It has a hand-plained finish which looks very rich.

round extension dining table
This table is in the widget and expands quite a bit. I love the classic detailing. AND it is only $495.00 !!!  Without the leaves it is 38″ which will seat up to four people. And with the three leaves, you can seat 4 more.

I’ve actually done this table twice! And for two completely different dining rooms. The table is from Baker and was part of their Charleston collection but was discontinued several years ago. And the price of $4,500 is fantastic. It retailed for twice that much 15 years ago!

Just so you know, this is an incredibly sucktastic photo. The top is not that orange. No way!

This dining room was done in 2000 and appeared in Better Homes and Gardens December 2004.

The table isn’t this color either.

This dining room was done two years later, in 2002. This is a very close approximation of the color. It is a rich, warm cognac antique pine. And yes, the edge is a subtle antique gold. The table looks like an authentic antique. Very well-done.

A little story…

See that little Hepplewhite or Sheraton-style chair in the corner? There are two of them. Very pretty. Just one horrid problem. The oval chairs are from a different company and the chairs did not coordinate.

Yuck.

My client was very sweet about it but understandably, she wanted them fixed.

As it happened, I was doing some work with a decorative artist and paid him 400 bucks for the day to help me fix the chairs.

First we spent at least 3 hours, both of us covering up the fabric with blue tape and plastic. He got the first coat on the chairs and I came back two more days to antique them. It may not look like it in the photo, but believe me, they match. When the leaves are in, those chairs go on the ends.

How do you feel about round dining tables?

Wondering if you should even have a separate dining room?

And more dining rooms – here and here.

And are you struggling with dining room lighting? If so, you might find this post helpful.

PS: Must remind you that tomorrow is the first day of early access for the

The info is on the Hot Sales page, but you’ll need to scroll down to the bottom.

Or, you can read about it on the Nordstrom Website.

This is an amazing sale because what they do only once a year, is

they put all of their NEW ITEMS for the upcoming fall season on sale!

• Therese Nohos - July 16, 2017 - 12:08 AM

I love a round table! I have had a round in my dining room always (although I frequently put the two leaves in when we have company). It simply never dawned on me that I could fit all 6 chairs around it when the leaves were out–so thanks for that tip!

I just purchased a new round from Ethan Allen for our kitchen. It arrived today and I am giddy with excitement. I bought it with a settee and a few chairs. I live in the dreaded “open concept” home we bought in 2005 when the market was smoking and it seemed homes were bought before they went on the market! I must say that the round table really gives the room such better flow. I always felt like I was bumping into the rectangular table sitting between my family room and kitchen.

My only complaint about the 54″ round is that it’s super hard to find table cloths long enough to fit it–and forget it when the leaves are in! I’m always on the hunt for those but haven’t found an ideal solution yet.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 16, 2017 - 12:32 AM

Hi Therese,

Well, that could be a good post. But, why not do placemats? Table top isn’t my forte. I wish it was, but just not enough experience with it.ReplyCancel

• mrsben - July 16, 2017 - 11:17 AM

Laurel, hope you don’t mind me chiming in. To ‘Therese’ have you considered having them custom made? For example; upholstery fabrics make for wonderful placemats since the fabric is often treated for stains, is of substantial weight (seldom a need for lining), selection is unlimited etc. (As I make my own; prior to construction I launder and dry before construction to eliminate the possibility of shrinkage and in all honesty if anything, my biggest complaint is they wear so well I tire of them and end up giving them away.) As for table cloths ‘fabrics’ can come in a range of widths and selection, unless of course your demand is for high-end linen. i.e.: Choice can range from that used for curtains (36″ to 110″ in width) and then there is the option of extra-wide fabrics ranging from 102″ to 120″ widths that include faux linen or silk, satin, voile, sheeting (used in bedding), organza (plain and patterned) to name a few. (For special occasions, the latter two can be beautiful when they are over-laid with one another.) If a table protector is required, it too is obtainable in yardage which in most cases only demands trimming to the shape and size of table top. To conclude; table runners are another option for dressing round or oval tables however a specialty width fabric isn’t necessarily required as a 36″ width fabric will generally suffice.
        -Brenda-ReplyCancel

• mrsben - July 15, 2017 - 8:41 AM

Love round single pedestal tables and always wished I had a large foyer to accommodate one and totally agree ‘they make for congenial conversation’. Perhaps that is why event planners favour them so much? That said; the two tables that I do have however are ovals and when the leaves are removed are converted to rounds. The Kitchen one has bridged(?)legs and closes with the appearance of a single pedestal (can seat up to fourteen) whereas the Dining Room one doesn’t (that seats up to ten).
    -Brenda-
    P.S.: Now I am going to try and print off your valuable round table chart. Thanks so much for always sharing your expertise.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 16, 2017 - 12:28 AM

Definitely round and oval tables for larger gatherings. Unless you don’t like your guests. lolReplyCancel

• mrsben - July 15, 2017 - 8:52 AM

Laurel, just read over what I wrote and with no intention to mislead the seating capacity I referred to is when the tables have their leaves and are oval …. SMH! Sorry about that.
      -Brenda-ReplyCancel

• Libby - July 14, 2017 - 5:32 PM

Thank you for all the very helpful “math” in this post and a roundup of all your other fabulous and helpful posts on the dining room. Your dining rooms are elegant and inviting. Beautifully composed. Neither of those rooms had a rug. Did the clients prefer bare floors or just settle on a rug?

The apron on some styles of round tables can be problematic as some have mentioned. Tablecloths always seem to get hung up on them and the diner, sometimes getting all caught up when getting up from the table sending silverware to the floor or toppling glasses!

I have my grandparents’ round oak table with leaves. Pedestal with lion paw feet on casters. A common, mass-produced item from the late ‘ 20s/’30s.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 15, 2017 - 12:42 AM

Hi Libby,

For the dining room I did, I felt that it was better not to have a rug. It would’ve had to be something custom or broadloom as the table is room and the room is square. I’m not a fan of round rugs, so square it would’ve needed to be.ReplyCancel

• Catherine - July 14, 2017 - 5:11 PM

Wish I had my late grandmother’s Pembroke table.
    Thanks for the helpful article.ReplyCancel

• Lidia Roman - July 14, 2017 - 11:47 AM

This question is a little off the subject; – have you heard of the company called Flemming and Howland? They are chair makers and chesterfield upholders out of England. If so, do you recommend their products?

Thank you very much for your insight!ReplyCancel

• ROXANNE DICKEY - July 14, 2017 - 10:47 AM

In response to Jen: Found this one. It grows from 54 – 70″. It’s solid walnut. $2950.ReplyCancel

• Jen - July 13, 2017 - 10:46 PM

Hi Laurel. I so look forward to your blog as we are in the midst of a 6 month and counting whole house renovation (/shoot me now!). I was especially excited to see this post as we are actively searching for an extendable round table, but I have to say I was disappointed that most of those you shared seem to be a fixed diameter. Maybe I’m missing the possibilities? Would love more specific call outs if you can. Thanks for all your words of wisdom!ReplyCancel

• Linda - July 15, 2017 - 8:32 AM

I was looking for such a table about 10 years ago. The one I found from a good furniture maker (sorry forgot the name) was 30k and expanded via ‘pie wedges’. I ended up searching for ’round dining tables’ on craigslist and got a Grange Louisiane expandable table with 6 sunburst chairs for $800. That table has leaves that go around the perimeter. Pretty sure they still make it.

For current makers try googling ’round dining table pie wedge’ and do an image search.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 11:15 PM

Hi Jen,

There is such a thing as a round table that becomes a larger round table. Oh dang, I forgot where I saw the demo at High Point. But, they are quite expensive and there aren’t a lot of companies making them.

The only other thing you could do is get some heavy duty table pads that cantilever over the table top maybe up to 3″ would be all right. So, you could go from a 60″ to a 66″ table and get another person or two around it.ReplyCancel

• GL - July 15, 2017 - 9:06 AM

Yes, you can have a round table that stays round! (But try telling that to table-cloth sellers who are convinced that the table must become oval — and by the way, I’d always go for a square or rectangular tablecloth, as round or oval ones are impossible to iron without getting a kind of “peak” in the centre, no matter how carefully you fold on the straight grain.) I’m afraid this info isn’t much practical help, as our teak table was bought in France in the early 1970s, but I do know it’s Danish, and the engineering underneath to have four folding leaves round the perimeter, which open out so that each leaf rests on the next with no supporting structure underneath, is gasp-worthy. But it is on four legs, not a central pedestal, so it’s perfectly stable. Closed it seats four in comfort (120cm/48 inch dia), six in less comfort for some (those who get too close to a leg), and up to ten when unfolded (180 cm/72 inch dia). Worth looking into Danish modern from that period?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 16, 2017 - 12:30 AM

Hi GL,

I did spend some time googling it and found something quite amazing– These are the Rolls Royce of round tables that become larger rounds. But dang, I don’t have the link and I’m toast now.ReplyCancel

• GL - July 16, 2017 - 4:33 AM

Very sorry, Laurel! My assertion that the outer leaves rest on nothing was probably misleading, of course each closed leaf has two slim struts underneath to rest on as it comes out from below the table top. Great engineering, yes; defying gravity, no! But the folded-out part of the leaves do indeed rest on nothing but the leaf next door. I googled it and couldn’t find an example like mine, as with the leaves coming out from the perimeter there is no seam on the small table top, contrary to the “pie wedge” type which has lots of seams.
            I’ve just crawled underneath our table, and it’s a Dyrlund. I ggogled that, and lo and behold, here it is, under “dyrlund teak flip-flap table”. Link to a seller in the UK (who gives no price, but lots of info and pics!):
            By the way, am I the only one who has problems with naked table tops (even with thick place-mat protection) because I always heat our plates (to 75°C) for hot dishes?
            Hope the reference is instructive, best, GL

• Laurel Bern - July 16, 2017 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for all of that info GL. I’m actually going out in a bit, but will read later. You heat your actual plates? Americans don’t do that. It’s definitely an old-world thing. But nice. I am one known to make my food too hot for human consumption. That one IS American! lol

• ROXANNE DICKEY - July 13, 2017 - 5:10 PM

I have a 48″ round solid cherry table in my kitchen. I purchased it new 20 years ago. After eating at it for about 5 years with no cover or place mats, it was starting to wear. I bought a piece of glass for it. I like that it’s not wearing, but glass! Nowadays, you see a lot of furniture beat up & looking worn, should I just not worry & take the glass off & let it wear naturally?
    By the way, I bought my dining room table at an auction about 25 years ago. It’s an oak conference table. It was made by a manufacturer in Southern IN. It came with a glass top. I’ve long thought I should get rid of both pieces of glass (but of course what would I do with them).
    I really enjoy all your posts. Thank you.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 7:54 PM

Hi Roxanne,

Well, I like a little patina, but I realize that it’s not for everyone. Glass, I’m with you on that one. But this might be a great solution. There’s a nifty product RESTOR A FINISH (if you click on that, it will take you to where you can get it on Amazon if interested) and while I’ve not used it, several readers have waxed poetic about its ability to restore a finish to its previous grandeur. Anyway, for 10 bucks, it’s certainly worth a try.ReplyCancel

• nancy - July 13, 2017 - 4:17 PM

Round tables are the best, the only way to have good conversations among more than 2-3 people.
    I had a gorgeous old (1850s said to be from a plantation home in Plaquemines parish, Louisiana) mahogany round table *54 inches wide with 3 leaves* but the apron was so deep. Normal height chairs made people work hard to get up without bumping the table and spilling the wine. I spent too much money on two sets of chairs trying to make it work. And I never had a house large enough to properly accommodate it.
    Finally, I gave it to a classy thrift shop that raises money for a children’s hospital, they were going to use it as a display table. That’s what they said, I was too sad to ever go visit it.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 7:50 PM

Hi Nancy,

I am wondering how tall the table was. It sounds like it might have been lower than the standard 30″ or so. I mean, it’s a moot point. One can also get dining chairs a little lower. But maybe you tried that?ReplyCancel

• Travis - July 13, 2017 - 3:53 PM

Hi Laurel, this is a silly question but what is the proper distance for a chair from the dining table. I always tuck the chair so the back is just a few inches from the skirt of the tabletop as it always seems neat and tidy that way. When I look through a lot of the dining rooms by the experts the backs of the chairs seem to be set a fair distance away (maybe 12″??) from the side of the table. I have always thought 48″ tables were nice but the chairs couldn’t be tucked in close enough to the table because the legs hit the table pedestal so have always used tables that are around 54″ to prevent the chair from appearing too far from the table. Is there a rule for this or does it matter if you like your chair tightly tucked or not??? Thanks for your advice!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 4:01 PM

Hi Travis,

I think it’s fine to do whatever you think looks best to your eye. Usually, I would tuck the chairs in maybe a couple of inches under the apron, but not so that the back of the chair was very close to the table. First of all, there’s more chance for the floor or rug getting damaged over time with having to scoot the chair so much back and forth. But as I said, you can do whatever works best for you.ReplyCancel

• Travis - July 13, 2017 - 6:01 PM

Thank you! Good advice as always, I like when there is no specific rule =0)ReplyCancel

• Lisa Marie Allen - July 13, 2017 - 1:37 PM

Thank you for coming to my emotional rescue, once again!! I ordered a round table from Horchow fourteen years ago to go in the smallish dining room of the house we were building. Our dining room is off the entry to our coastal neo traditional center Colonial and the room serves more of a library duty than dinning. However, with leaves inserted this beauty extends into the large foyer. Lately I have wondered if it’s still my style, and now I have a new appreciation for it after seeing your gorgeous photos. I agree with Heidi, your Bronx dining room is so fabulous, the wallpaper is stunning!!! Thank you, Laurel, your posts are always so timely…you are a mind reader!!!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 3:57 PM

I don’t know if I’m a mind-reader, but I do try to write about common issues, so there’s a good chance that many people will discover something helpful. But, in any case, thank you so much for the kind words!ReplyCancel

• Kate - July 13, 2017 - 12:35 PM

Oh Laurel! Beautiful post – really had me glued to it. Then you went and asked about round dining room tables and dining rooms in general. About 20 years ago, I had a dining room with a round Duncan Phyfe table. A genuine knock off. Beautiful, except when someone got up from the dining room table and leaned on it and nearly went ass-over-tea-kettle, so to speak. No more round tables for me – they are just not sturdy enough. Also, the best dining room I ever saw had a long rectangle table that converted to a ping pong table for after dinner activities. What a clever idea! Because after all, how often do we use a formal dining? I would enjoying seeing multi-functional rooms. I wound up blowing out the back wall of my kitchen and put in an additional 200 sf for a dining room that can seat 12, but is casual enough for every day. Everyone loves it, and it is super comfy and relaxing. Goes well with take out chinese foodReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 3:53 PM

Hi Kate,

Thanks for an entertaining comment! I’m trying to picture the scene where everyone gets up from a formal dinner and ten minutes later is playing ping pong. lolReplyCancel

• mollie duvall - July 13, 2017 - 12:07 PM

I like using round tables – I have one in the kitchen as well as the dining room. They are both by Nichols and Stone. I have had them for 30+ years and they are still gorgeous. I believe they are made of ash. They each have two leaves and can be extended to seat 10+ with both leaves in. LOVE!!!

Here’s the problem; oval tablecloths are quite rare. Plenty of oblongs, though. But, that is like wearing a size 12 when you actually need a 14….you can get the dress on but it’s not the best look.

Do you have any suggestions for affordable, neutral, oval table cloths? This can be a significant investment since, as a minimum, I need a 48″ round, one for when I add one leaf and an additional one when both leaves are in X 2. So, six tablecloths…that adds up!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 3:52 PM

Hi Mollie,

I’m not a table cloth expert, haha but what happens when you do a rectangle? Does it hang funny? I would imagine that it would hang funny as an oval too. I would probably do a table runner and wonderful place mats. I prefer place mats in any case, most of the time. That would solve a lot of problems and expense.ReplyCancel

• Jenny - July 13, 2017 - 10:33 AM

we have a round dining table that extends to oval! only our stays oval lol..I never take the leaf out. It’s our only table in the house..well not including desks.

we bought it from Craigslist, with one leaf because another one was lost..otherwise would have two and become a really long table when needed
    It’s mid century modern actually..some famous design or a knock off..not that I care lol, since furniture was made so so well back then.
    It being a round/oval, with very soft yet noble lines, makes it into one of the most versatile pieces. I can have any room-and it will look like it belongs.
    We paid just 500 or so for it and 4 chairs, with nice sellers delivering them to our door..found “captain” chairs later.
    It’s one of my favorite things in the whole house. It’s teak..(but somebody who has a very similar, albeit smaller, model, told me he also thought for years his was teak, but later was told it’s actually walnut). Everybody’s asking me where I got it. I say “Craigslist”. They say “So, what, you simply found it like that??”
    hell no. not “simply found it like that”.
    first, I was checking that Craigslist 5 times a day, for two months or so.
    Then,I found it:)

If I had a spot for another table-I’d buy another one lol
    I like tables. And chairs. They remind me of animals..Lots of character..and legs..:)
    Thank you for the wonderful post Laurel.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 3:49 PM

You’re welcome Jenny. BTW, if you should happen to want another leaf, you can find a furniture maker who can copy the leaf you have and voila, you’ll be able to fit two more people around the table should you desire.ReplyCancel

• Heidi - July 13, 2017 - 10:07 AM

Thank you for all the useful information – as usual! It’s so helpful to have a starting point when searching for tables and lighting that fit a room. I LOVE your Bronxville dining room and its wallpaper and wall color. I would love to try it in my dining room which currently has BM Chili Pepper walls and my grandmother’s black Chinoiserie furniture, but can’t find mention of it here. Any info would be greatly appreciated!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 12:02 PM

Hi Heidi,

Benjamin Moore Chili Pepper is one of the Laurel Home Essential Paint Color Collection colors!

It’s one of my favorite shades of red. Looks magical at night.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 9:33 AM

Apologies to anyone who tried to comment but couldn’t last night. The comment box was inadvertently shut down.ReplyCancel

• Susan C Davis - July 13, 2017 - 9:06 AM

Thanks for info re: seating, enjoyed this post! A dedicated room for dining is a must for me, it just is. My husband inherited his grandparents’ “old when they bought it” round dining table and now my daughter has it. 72″ round with an additional 5 (12″) leaves. Massive, amazing, treasured–that table demands its own room!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - July 13, 2017 - 9:32 AM

Hi Susan,

That table sounds wonderful! I think it’s wonderful when fabulous old furniture is handed down. Alas, in my case, that was not to be.

• Susan C Davis - July 13, 2017 - 12:50 PM

Oh, I’m sorry…I feel so blessed to have family “hand me downs.” Best part of the table is the pedestal base–wonderful patina from 4 generations of feet gathered ’round the table!ReplyCancel