Are Green and White Rooms Coming Back Soon?

Recently, a lovely reader named Jennifer sent in this comment on the recent post about how to create the perfect summer home. That post featured a lot of blue and white.

Here’s what she said:

Lovely post. I have always loved blue and white, but recently I’m gravitating toward green and white! I’d love to see a post about green and white rooms with sources, as they are harder to find than blue! Happy Summer!

Oh wow! Green and white rooms?

And with sources? Difficult? I mean, I was practically breast-fed green and white! Green and white rooms are part of my genetic code.

Although I don’t fault Jennifer for not grasping this. Green and white IS still out there, but there isn’t the glut of it as there is with blue and white. That much is true.

It is not difficult to do a green and white room. I mean, all you need is a room that’s basically white furniture and add in some greenery and it’s now a green and white room.

But, green, I think is the easiest color to work with and here’s why.

Northeast United States satellite

Here is a satellite map via Google Maps of most of the Northeastern United States. And what do we see as the predominant color?

Of course! We have talked about green in numerous posts on this blog. I’ll post some of them in a bit.

However, despite what some may say, green and white is as classic as a golf ball in the grass. :]

green and white - ben-hershey-golf ball - grass-unsplash

photo: Ben Hershey via Unsplash

ralph lauren home British Colonial East Indies style with green and white wallpaper -High-Low Ralph Lauren

Or, this beautiful room, above, we discussed recently by Ralph Lauren

kips-bay-Mark D Sikes bedroom - Gracie wallpaper

And, we looked at this exquisite bedroom by Mark D. Sikes. He is fond of mixing green with blue accents.

Mark D Sikes - greystone-show-house-2015/

Above and below from the Greystone Showhouse 2015. Mark really understands how to do green and white rooms!

_Sikes_greystone_grand_hall

An overview of the entire entry by Mark D. Sikes

mark-sikes-gracie-wallpaper-chinoiserie-handpainted-celedon-majolica-antique-hutch-green and white rooms dining room

And, above is a recent dining room featuring another Gracie wallpaper in green and white. See the touches of blue and colors in the flowers? It’s the accents that make the room!

Serena and Lily Miramar Sofa -green silk draperies

Above is an older image from Serena and Lily. But, it’s one of my favorites with those wonderful green silk curtains. Have you checked out their site-wide 20% off sale? It’s only lasting through the 28th.

Room flow - analogous blue and green - art walls Maura Endres - @m.o.endres on instagram

Maura Endres’ home is primarily green and white, but also with some blue accents. You can see more of Maura’s beautiful home, here and here. And, please be sure to follow her on instagram.

Matt Briney via Unsplash - George Washingtonphoto: Matt Briney via Unsplash

There are lots of ways to incorporate green in our rooms. Above is a saturated green in George Washington’s green and white dining room Mount Vernon. That’s going pretty far back.

But, what is that shmata (Yiddish for rag) on the window?

I thought I would have a little fun. So, I went over to Lynn Chalk on Etsy and did a little photo editing on Picmonkey. Did you see the Picmonkey tutorial, here?

Scalamandre - Ch
The first fabric is Scalamandre – Ch’ien Dragon draperies by Lynn Chalk

Lynn Chalk drapes with greek key trim - green and white rooms photo-Matt Briney via Unsplash - George Washington
That’s better.

Benjamin Moore Bunker Hill Green - green and white rooms

The wall color is fairly close to a Laurel Home paint and palette collection color Bunker Hill Green

Of course, there are hundreds of options in terms of fabric for the curtains.

Sometimes when I’m looking for a fabric, I’ll go over to Decorator’s Best and punch in what I’m looking for.

Ohhh! They’re having a sale through the 27th. Well, who isn’t having a sale! It’s Memorial Day Weekend. Please check out the Hot Sales Pages for the skinny on some of the best sales this weekend.

If you’re looking for great wall colors, please check out this post featuring a variety of great shades of green.

This post featuring more muted greens that aren’t called green.

And, it’s easy being green (an ode to Kermit the Frog) is a post with lots of terrific green rooms in it.

But, sticking with the walls, Mural Sources has gorgeous more affordable green and white Chinoiserie murals.

mural sources green chinoiserie mural
This is one of my favorites – Above and below.

Mural Sources Green Chinoiserie mural-085-LV-1491

green-dining-windsor-smith

One of my very favorite green and white rooms is this beauty by Windsor Smith. That looks like Benjamin Moore Essex green. It might be something else. But Essex green is very dark like this.

Windsor Smith dark green and white sunroom dining area

Almost as dark is the Laurel Home collection green, Hunter Green

ashley-whittaker-spring-green

Ashley Whittaker did an amazing job of mixing greens and then added in a coral accent in the chairs. Brilliant!

Laurel Bern Interiors-bronxville-dining-room-buffet-mirror

I often forget my own work. haha! Above and below is the oft-published green and white dining room I did a few years ago.

Laurel Bern Interiors Portfolio - green and white rooms

Quadrille_Lyford_Trellis_Wallpaper_in_Bathroom_Sarah_Bartholomew

Quadrille Lyford Trellis Wallpaper in this Bathroom by Sarah Bartholomew

You might recall seeing this pattern in red and white in this gorgeous dining room

Triptych from Williams Sonoma HomeThe wonderful Triptych from Williams Sonoma Home. It’s on sale at the time of this post.

coleson_botanical-botanica_topiary-topiarius - green and white roomsAbove and below is a beautiful topiary design wallpaper by Cole and Sons

Cole and Son green and white wallpaper Topiary detail

bill-brockschmidt-courtney-coleman-study-photo - Peter Murdock - chair fabric - Lee Jofa AltheaA charming study by Bill Brockschmidt and Courtney Coleman – photo – Peter Murdock –

chair fabric – Lee Jofa Althea

Architectural Digest - Tory Burch Green and White bedroom - Brunschwig and Fils - Bird and Thistle

Architectural Digest – Tory Burch Green and White bedroom – Brunschwig and Fils – Bird and Thistle.

And, if you’d like to know how to get a sunroom like Tory’s, click here.

Some of you might recall that we did Bird and Thistle in the brown and cream colorway for draperies for this beautiful home.

traditional-dining-room-jean-paul-beaujard-new-york-new-york

And the last image for inspiration is this elegant New York space. by Jean Paul Beaujard. It’s not strictly green and white, but I do love the wonderful velvet drapery and elegant furnishings.

Parting words:

When doing green and white rooms, I think it’s always good to add some accents of other colors. And, it’s also very beneficial to add black. And I always love to vary the shades of green. In addition, there’s almost always some brown because of the stained wood tones.

Below is a widget for inspiration.

I added a few pieces that are not green or white, just to show some things that I think work well together. Of course, I wouldn’t put everything here in one room.

If you click on the individual images, it will take you directly to the source.

Please have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Said with respect for our fallen U.S. soldiers who gave their lives to help ensure our freedom.

Please check out the hot sales. They are really spectacular this weekend!

• JD - June 8, 2019 - 11:08 AM

I always look forward to your posts, Laurel. It’s a much needed injection of beauty.

My question to you is- can a house that is reasonably well lit- but entirely by cold north and east facing light (and that is filtered through a lot of forest shade) handle green on its walls?

I live in a gardeners paradise- but the inside of my home is so DRAB. I would love to freshen it up but I fear any green would be to heavy for the space. And the lighter greens always scream either “80’s lime!” or “pea soup!” in my general direction.

Perhaps I should leave it as an accent color in my throw pillows?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - June 9, 2019 - 7:51 PM

Hi Julie,

Yeah, I’ve had this issue before. And, it’s crazy-making. In addition, it depends on the size of the room, height of the ceiling and what else is going on. The only thing I can say is to make a few samples, but also consider painting the walls a warm, clear white like Simply White or Cotton Balls. They may STILL look a little green, but it’ll be pale like celery.ReplyCancel

• Jeannie - May 31, 2019 - 11:02 AM

Thank-you, Laurel. Good suggestions.ReplyCancel

• Carolina - May 30, 2019 - 10:42 PM

Amazing post! Every word and photo!
    As aquarius we are strongly driven into green, for me specially aqua!
    Your post goes directly to my reading list as my new bedroom will be greens and will carefully try to edit does color touches which make rooms shine.
    Thank you Laurel!
    (Haha, my favorite bra is an aqua Intimissimi)ReplyCancel

• Elayne Demby - May 30, 2019 - 7:08 PM

I actually have a sample of that Cole and Son’s topiary wallpaper hanging in my office. I’m totally in love with it and hoping to redo my office in it later this year.ReplyCancel

• Lily - May 28, 2019 - 9:54 AM

I’ve been waiting for this post. 😀 I keep taking notes every time you talk about green.

I’ve been struggling with selecting a curtain fabric for the dining room. Can you offer some suggestions for managing the fabric choices? The walls will probably be Behr Planet Green. Room accents will be greens, gold, and some orange. The adjacent rooms are yellow and teal (kitchen), med. blue (living), and purple and orange (loft).

I have mission chairs that I want to cover like parsons. I want cushions. Well, my ischial tuberosities want cushions. I’m thinking cover in green ticking with a bold print on the back. One bold print on 4 of the chairs and then a different one on two “host” chairs. For the bold prints, something like a Morrocan trellis and a chinoiserie or Morris-style print. I’m going to paint the chairs all charcoal or gold or something depending on the fabric.

There’s a bay window to treat. I’m taking inspiration from Miles Redd’s green dining room for his mom (quite like my room but I don’t have a fireplace). I’d prefer curtains to shades. All of this explanation for a simple question. I’m trying to decide if I should do the curtains in solid green (and then should I match the paint to the curtains or not bother?), the ticking, one of the bold prints, or something else entirely. Any thoughts?

That topiary wallpaper is so gorgeous! Thanks as always for all the eye candy.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 28, 2019 - 10:38 PM

Hi Lily,

I’m really sorry. But I can’t offer this kind of help. I wish I could, but I would need to see what you are talking about and that is not something I do any longer unless it’s for a blog post.ReplyCancel

• Elizabeth Gregory - May 28, 2019 - 1:57 AM

So refreshing after so much blue and white. Blue and white can be harsh, and cold, and has just been so dominant for several years now. Am ready for more secondary colors. Green plays very well with other colors, and you provided some top flight examples. As someone who inherited a lot of brown furniture, I appreciate this post.ReplyCancel

• Thel - May 27, 2019 - 11:54 PM

Oh my goodness I love the green dining rooms! I’m trying to redo my dining room now and I’m so inspired. I would love, love, love a post on how to pick out dining room chairs, especially what makes a dining chair comfortable to sit in over a long lingering dinner. Nothing makes me happier than when my dinner guests want to hang around for another glass of wine or coffee, but my current chairs have everyone shifting uncomfortably before we even serve dessert.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 28, 2019 - 10:34 PM

Hi Thel,

I guess the most comfortable dining room chairs are upholstered. But I also had these wicker chairs and I used an 18″ pillow for the back. Really comfy.ReplyCancel

• Jennifer Johnson - May 27, 2019 - 8:36 PM

So glad you’ve been feeling better. Way to go with the ballet. I’ve heard how tough it is!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 27, 2019 - 8:48 PM

Ballet is very difficult if one is first learning it as an adult. But, if one took it when they were young for a number of years, it’ll all come back. It’s the best exercise ever!ReplyCancel

• Beth - May 27, 2019 - 7:25 PM

Love this post so much!!! The George Washington photo, is there was trend towards the monochromatic, ie with wall and any of the picture trim being same color? I love the look, but wasn’t sure if a fad.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 27, 2019 - 8:06 PM

Hi Beth,

The same wall and trim color has been around for a long time. Although, there has been a resurgence of it in more mainstream situations. But, most would still consider it to be outside of the norm. It’s really not.ReplyCancel

• Jennifer Johnson - May 27, 2019 - 2:27 PM

WOW Laurel, that was the fastest turn-around time I’ve ever seen on a blog post! Thank you so much! I couldn’t believe it when I saw the headline and then my note! Gorgeous rooms as always; I really love looking at all the scrumptious photos you posted. I will enjoy looking through all your sources as well! The first thing I ever bought through your post last year was during the Nordstrom sale. Funny as it wasn’t a home item. May you have a wonderful week, and beautiful summer. Please be sure to let me know how your health is doing, as I will keep you in my prayers. Thank you again, Much love, JenniferReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 27, 2019 - 8:05 PM

Hi Jennifer,

Oh, you’re welcome. I’m always up for great ideas for posts and this is a terrific topic. Thank you for inquiring. I have been feeling very well since my medication changed and I’ve been taking twice a week ballet classes. I’ve gotten much stronger as a result.ReplyCancel

• Celeste - May 27, 2019 - 12:41 PM

I love this post and I love green. I struggled looking for a green comforter that wasn’t all HEY CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE WHO WANTS PALM FRONDS!?! I gave up because it was too cold to wait. I got some bland thing at Costco.

😑.

I had fallen in love with that Schumacher lettuce colored paper when I first saw it on your blog and just realized two days ago it won’t fit in our dining room because we are papering the bottom below the rail. We think the pattern is too long to work.

I’m considering this Cole and Son wallpaper. But I don’t know yet. I want a paper with a lot of green and flowery nature-y.

I’m still thinking on it.

Lovely post and I’m full of covetousness looking at it.
    I am so happy to be in a home I can make my favorite color. TEAM GREEN FOREVER.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 27, 2019 - 8:02 PM

Hi Celeste. That wallpaper is in another post on here somewhere and they did it in panels and it looks terrific that way.ReplyCancel

• Jeanne - May 27, 2019 - 10:32 AM

Laurel, Do you have a source for the botanicals in the Ashley Whittaker dining room?

Green is my favorite color. This post plus combining prints, and rule of thrids for large walls are my favorites.

Thank-you!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 27, 2019 - 8:00 PM

Hi Jeanne,

I’m sorry, but I don’t off-hand. One of my tricks is to take a screen shot (or right click and save as) and then isolate one of the images, by cropping it. This gets done on a desktop computer. I would make a duplicate so that you still have the original. Save all of that to your desktop.

then open up https://images.google.com/

Drag the isolated image into google images and you might get lucky.

If not, try googling “Ashley Whittaker green and white botanical prints.” (but not in quotes) You might get lucky if they were in an editorial somewhere, it might pop up that way too.ReplyCancel

• Amanda - May 26, 2019 - 10:41 PM

Really beautiful, thank you!

The Serena and Lily picture with the green silk curtains….I have coveted those for YEARS. But can you give us your opinion on the placement of the rod on the left? I would do it differently but I’m not a professional – I’m so curious to find out what you think. I don’t have beautiful wordwork in my home currently, but someday I swear I will and for some reason I find myself worrying way too much about where other people hang their rods. Ridiculous, I know.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:25 PM

Hi Amanda,

Yes, the rod is wonky but the window frame is also very unusual and extremely tall. So, it’s possible that is as high as they could go with the length curtain they had. OR, they just stuck it up there, for the photo. That’s not even a real rod it looks like. It’s quite skinny and looks like a rod for cafe curtains.ReplyCancel

• Jana - May 26, 2019 - 3:37 PM

Oh what lovely examples! With the interior world having turned so grey, I’d forgotten how much I love green well done in a room. It’s timeless, really.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:23 PM

Hi Jana,

I couldn’t agree more. And if some of those gray rooms had a healthy dose of green, they’d look a lot better, I think.ReplyCancel

• Maggie - May 26, 2019 - 3:07 PM

You have made my day Laurel! I feel as if I’ve been just waiting for this post but too afraid to ask amid the blue and white fervor and lest you think me crazy ( which I am for green and white). Thanks for such wonderful inspiration on this combination. Your work plus Mark Sikes’ are my two favorites here. I think all these fabulous shades of green really make dark wood tones shine and take some of their heaviness away. The greens from your paint palette are all lovely. I add my thanks and appreciation to our soldiers and veterans on this holiday.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:22 PM

Hi Maggie,

Thanks so much and I totally agree about the greens and blues with the wood tones. And the wood tones add some needed heft to blues and greens. Just like the tree trunks!ReplyCancel

• Lauren - May 26, 2019 - 1:47 PM

Good morning, Laurel.

You won my heart today with this post about green and white. I could never settle on a choice because I loved so many different colors, but when emerald became Pantone’s Color of the Year in 2013 I was smitten. It has remained my favorite color since. (Give me an emerald over a diamond any day!)

My home is done in various shades of green. Two loveseats are in dark emerald velvet. The living room rug is a dark emerald with plenty of cream to bring in the chairs and walls. Other shades abound throughout the house.

My bedroom has neutral walls but a dark emerald bedspread; the oversized canvas print above the bed (because I live in earthquake country) is a lovely print of Edward Hopper’s Nighthawks–which has a good amount of green and is a painting I fell in love with when I first saw it many years ago.

I have two sets of dinnerware, one is vintage jadeite.

In other words, I love green, all green. It makes me calm and happy and it is so soothing to come home to each day.ReplyCancel

• Heidi - May 26, 2019 - 1:41 PM

I remember daydreaming about a green and white kitchen back in the 80s. Never got one!

I’ve always wondering why green and sky blue aren’t seen together much, since they’re so natural. Maybe because they’re both bright?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:20 PM

Hi Heidi,

I see greens with lighter blues fairly often. They might also be mixed with other colors. If you take a look at Mark D Sikes portfolio, I think he has some examples.ReplyCancel

• Hollie @ Stuck on Hue pillows - May 26, 2019 - 1:07 PM

I didn’t used to be much into green (too much green trauma from the ’90s, probably), but it’s been creeping back into my zeitgeist the past couple years and I’m really into it with blues, especially, and even purples or pinks/corals.

Also wanted to mention that Williams-Sonoma does sell that gorgeous triptych as a set, but it’s the same price as the three individual pieces. I almost bought it several months ago, but it’s HUGE and just a little too large for my space.

P.S. Thanks, as always, for including some of my Stuck on Hue pillows!ReplyCancel

• Leslye - May 26, 2019 - 11:26 AM

Love the green and white post. I adore blue and white as well and collect it in transfer ware, but am a little tired of only seeing magazines in all blue.
    A most refreshing post Laurel!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:55 AM

Thanks so much Leslye and to Jennifer for giving me the idea!ReplyCancel

• Susie - May 26, 2019 - 10:41 AM

Blue is my favorite color, but green is my second favorite color. So go Blue & White; go Green and White!!ReplyCancel

• Debbi Shank - May 26, 2019 - 10:39 AM

Hi Laurel! Thanks so much for all your hard work and sharing your knowledge with us! I am getting ready to buy a new sofa and 2 chairs. I would like to buy from your links so U get credit, but I want a different recliner selection from Pottery Barn than those highlighted. Will U still get credit if I go to PB from your site and make my selection? Also what is your opinion on PB quality of recliners? Thanks for your help!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:54 AM

Hi Debbi,

Yes! I will. You could click on a link for a recliner and then go and buy one napkin ring and I will make a few pennies. I have a client who got two leather recliners and loves them. And, I just happened to go to PB in White Plains the other day and they had one sitting on the floor in black leather. So, of course, I sat down in it. Very comfy and the quality, terrific. Please note, however, that the cushions on the leather pieces do not flip.ReplyCancel

• Susan Bowman - May 26, 2019 - 10:21 AM

The Mark D Sikes rooms 😍 Do you know what green is on the walls of the entryway and the sitting room? The two photos from the Greystone showhouse? I’ll be painting walls soon and those greens make my heart go pitter patter. Thank you! Love your blog.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:51 AM

Hi Susan,

I’m sorry, I don’t know the color and it looks different in every photograph. I always say if you see an image with a color you like, try to match what you see.ReplyCancel

• Maryanne - May 26, 2019 - 10:16 AM

Haven’t thought of green and white as a scheme; these examples are lovely! I have, though, used green as a neutral for most of my thirty-something years of decorating my home. Green drapery, carpet, shades of green for wall paint. Is there a color that doesn’t play well with green? Now that we’re empty-nesters I’ve changed my neutrals to whites, creams, and sand, but the green days were great for the foundation of a color palette. Thanks for a great post, Laurel!ReplyCancel

• Mary E - May 26, 2019 - 9:57 AM

Thanks for the great post. It’s very appropriate right now because all the rain we’ve had has made everything outside so green & lush. My yard has never looked better.
    This post brought back an old design memory from the late 70’s & early 80’s. It was my first home. I put up a white & green trellis pattern wallpaper in my guest bath.
    It was so easy decorate with. Any color I used as an accent looked great with it.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:49 AM

It’s so true. I mean, anyone ever say: Oh, those leaves are sure clashing with the sky today! Never!ReplyCancel

• patricia roseman - May 26, 2019 - 9:27 AM

Laurel, I LOVE your posts!
    This is a question about an all white house! my house was built in 1881. It is small with those orangey heart of pine floors. It is sort of dark and has small rooms. In your opinion, do you think BM white dove cut down by 50% (flat for walls and semi-gloss for trim)will be a good choice and if so, would you also use this for the ceilings? I have soooo many white swatches on the walls and I just can’t decide! I am in Wilmington., NC. I will try this but was really wanting your opinion and didn’t know if you use the same color for the ceilings when using white dove??? Thank you for your time!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:47 AM

Hi Patricia,

I wish I could give you the answer that you seek. Unfortunately, I’m not there to see what’s going on. And, the other thing is that on an average Sunday there are some 20,000 readers. Half of them are here to learn about paint colors. Probably a quarter of them are in paint-crisis. Well, you get the point.ReplyCancel

• cheryl - May 26, 2019 - 8:53 AM

Love, love, love it! I love green & white and green & blue! Green adds life to a home especially in the dead of winter!ReplyCancel

• Cynthia - May 26, 2019 - 8:35 AM

Thank you for the wonderful post. I have always been a fan of green and white rooms. So fresh! I love the Serena and Lily pic with the green silk curtains.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:43 AM

Hi Cynthia,

I love that too. S & L made a decision to largely do away with colors that aren’t coastal, for the most part. And, definitely no silk. Maybe they’ll change that one day? Or maybe this is it for them. We’ll have to see. I still love the company no matter what they do, however.ReplyCancel

• Parnassus - May 26, 2019 - 7:48 AM

Hello Laurel, Those dowdy green and white rooms of the ’50’s are far enough in the past that we can start using the color again, although perhaps an actual “revival” might not be appropriate yet! You have convinced me of the value of green with your photos, which all look so inviting. I still don’t quite approve of apple-green paint in the main rooms of a house, and some of the more jungle-y patterns are perhaps a bit much.

You may have given me a hint for my apartment. The floors are all green and white marble, and so green might be a good accent color. I do have a few green-glazed items, and am sorry now I passed on certain architectural pieces, such as glazed balusters. Carved panels often have green or red borders, so these might integrate well, although I am a bit afraid of starting to look like “the ladies’ restroom at the Oriental Thee-ay-tur.” Also, I love verdigris, and have a few bronze pieces, although perhaps they read more as dark than as green.
    –JimReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:40 AM

Hi Jim,

Yeah… I’m thinking of that awful “country club green and white” with the Wilton rugs and lattice on the walls. I think that persisted well into this century, however. It probably still does.ReplyCancel

• Connie Fowler - May 26, 2019 - 7:14 AM

I love this post because I’ve always been a green girl–green walls, green couches, green dishes. Even when my sister moved into her own bedroom when we were in high school, I chose green for my walls. I have found it a bit hard to decorate around, so this post is a great help.I was especially happy to see the chinoiserie mixed with the green–it’s such a pretty look. Thanks for all the wonderful info–you’re the best!

ConnieReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - May 26, 2019 - 11:38 AM

Thanks so much Connie! I just remembered that I wanted to include a pic of Miles Redd’s dining room he did for his mom with the saturated green walls and Althea Chintz. It’s in this post.ReplyCancel

• Runningonempty - May 26, 2019 - 2:02 AM