I Want Those Gorgeous Interior Colors – What Are They?

Hi Everyone,

Well, the other day, I had a note related to interior colors. But, there was more. Oh, wait. it wasn’t a note. It was a comment. However, I didn’t publish it. Here’s what she said:

I wasn’t sure where to write you so just thought I’d add a comment here non-related to your post.

I have been obsessing over images of Ben Thompson’s design work in Heckfield Place.

It would be amazing to see a post on the interior colors and furniture! This information doesn’t seem to be available online anywhere.

Best,

Alyssa

Instead of publishing her comment, I wrote Alyssa back privately. Yes, that’s a wonderful idea! In fact, I believe it was Tuesday morning. Since I woke up and, as per usual, had no idea what I was going to write about, I decided this would be the perfect topic for Tuesday night’s post.

As you can see, if you clicked on that link, the Tuesday night post was not about the Heckfield Place.

Why did I change my mind?

That’s an excellent question.

The reason I changed it is because, clearly, I’ve now lost it.

My mind that is. I mean, I woke up today and didn’t know if it was Tuesday or Saturday. I knew it was a blog day, but it did take about 20 seconds for me to decide that it was indeed Tuesday.

ummmm… See what I mean? I’ve lost my mind.

Of course, I did realize about 20 seconds after that, that it is Saturday. Like, does it make a difference these days? Anyone else having this problem? Please humor me and say yes. I’m okay with a little white lie.

I mean, for me, the concept of “weekend” went out the window years ago.

But, I was usually able to keep track because other people would wish me “have a nice weekend.”

But, now? There are no weeks or weekends any longer. It’s just another day. I think it’s still April, right?

Okay, enough gibberish.

However, I did begin working on this post on Tuesday. But, before delving into the interior colors, etc. I had to turn a gorgeous photo into a digital oil painting. And, by the time I finished, it was already 2:30 pm.

Fine, I’ll do this topic for Sunday.

Of course, doing a post about a sumptuous hotel, the colors, and the furniture is too much for one blog post. You would think after EIGHT years, I would have a handle on that concept. But, there is something in my cognition that prevents me from comprehending what the appropriate scope of a blog post should be.

So, this will be a two-parter. Today, we’ll focus on the gorgeous interior colors of the Heckfield Place Hotel in Hampshire, UK.

And, for Tuesday, we’ll cover the furnishings in a “get the look for less” post.

Okay, so what is this Heckfield Place Hotel?

It is an exquisitely renovated 18th Century Home Grand home that is now a sumptuously elegant hotel in Hampshire, UK. Please check out the Heckfield Place Hotel here.

The new interior design of the hotel was created, as Alyssa said in her note, by Ben Thompson.

And, I know why she’s obsessed with this place.

heckfield_place Hampshire UK_via hidden_doorways

Heckfield Place Hampshire UK via Hidden Doorways

It’s freakin’ gorgeous inside and out!

Ben’s design pays homage to the original architecture and classical design of the 18th century.

However, the furniture is a beautiful mix of both traditional and contemporary furnishings. But, done so with unusual restraint.

Another thing I love is that every room is different. And, each room has a name. As you might expect, these rooms come with a hefty price tag. The range is from about $500 for a tiny room, but still, I’m quite sure, gorgeous, and cozy. And, up to about $12,500 for the most expensive rooms. Yes, that’s per night.

Okay, let’s get ourselves in the mood with the digital painting I created of Heckfield Place.

Heckfield Place Hampshire, UK - 18th
Fun, huh? I did this with Sketcher for Mac. Yes, it is done from a photo.

This is an enchanting place, as you can see.

pigs Heckfield Place

There is a working farm and livestock on the grounds. At least, this is what I saw on Trip Advisor.

Now, let’s focus on the beautiful interiors and especially the interior colors.

But, first, instead of putting the palette at the end, as I usually do, I’m putting it at the beginning.

Heckfield Place Color Palette

Ben’s palette is wisely taken from the natural surroundings of Heckfield Place. In this way, he integrates the inside with the outside.

However, earthy does not mean lacking in sophistication. Nosiree! In fact, it’s just the opposite.

Gorgeous Interior Colors - Heckfield Place - Morning room gray walls

The Morning room epitomizes everything about this place. It is elegantly serene And, there is a beautiful mix of old and new.

Gorgeous Interior Colors - Heckfield Place

I believe that this is part of the same room. Most of the rooms I’m going to show are guest rooms, but this is a public room. The color I selected is Benjamin Moore Tapestry Beige oc 32.

I love the beautiful monochromatic mix of grays in this space. It is grounded with black and brown. The greenery and beautiful art brings a note of vibrancy to this serene, elegant space.

guest-room - Farrow & Ball Light Gray - Benjamin Moore Sandy Hook Gray- Gorgeous Interior Colors - Heckfield Place

From a guest-room – Farrow & Ball Light Gray or Benjamin Moore Sandy Hook Gray

comfy-sofas-in-one-Gorgeous Interior Colors photo - Meija and Kajphoto by Meija and Kaj, who were guests of the hotel

lambs at Heckfield

awww… so cute!

Meija and Kaj also took this photo of the beautiful Moon Bar. The wall color looks to be a soft blue-black. Colors I suggest are Benjamin Moore Soot, Raccoon Fur. and Farrow & Ball Railings.

r Colors - Heckfield Place - deep blue black walls - English Country House

I got this image from the Heckfield Place Instagram page. Of course, their insta page is also gorgeous!

A couple of people wanted to know what the color is. No answer was given.

However, it’s a moot point, in my opinion.

It doesn’t matter what the color is. I always tell people to match what you see.

One-color that looks a lot like this is Farrow & Ball Hague Blue. It is a fabulous navy with the right amount of warmth, without being teal.

What is so appealing, is the slightly blacker fireplace mantel, the dark brown carved wood table, and the perfect accent pieces.

So, it doesn’t matter all that much whether the color is Hague Blue or Railings or something else. What is important is how it all works together in your lighting situation. And, with everything else in the space.

Now get ready for another view of this incredible room. BTW, this is a guest room and one that is on the upper end.

heckfield-place-hotel-hampshire-ben-thompson

I know. The colors! Can you believe this is a hotel room?

And, no, I didn’t put the red and turquoise colors in my palette. I did for an earlier iteration, however.

Heckfield Colors

I bet that you’re intrigued by that ochre color at the top.

ochre roomYes, it’s appropriately called the ochre room.

Gorgeous Interior Colors - Heckfield Place - Farrow and Ball - India Yellow Ochre room

Here is another view looking into the sumptuous bathroom. Some colors you can try are Farrow & Ball India Yellow or a Laurel Home Collection color which is Benjamin Moore Bryant Gold hc 7.

Of course, it is also reminiscent of the iconic and archived color, Orangery. (but you can still get it)

And, yes, this is another one of the costly rooms. There are a number of them. They are known as the signature rooms.

Gorgeous Interior Colors - Heckfield Place - Lake room Farrow & Ball French GrayHere, we see how some of the colors or subtle variations of them are brought into other rooms. I love that kind of integration of the varied color scheme. This is the Lake Room.  The wall color is close to Farrow & Ball French Gray. But, please remember that I am only conjecturing. It might not be that color at all.

Please also look at Benjamin Moore Fieldstone 1558.

Heckfield Place - Lake Room Detail - Gorgeous Interior ColorsA high res, close-up, I found. I can’t wait to discuss the furnishings! But, please let’s save it for Wednesday.

dessert - Heckfield PlaceI found some 300 photos on Trip Advisor. The food in the restaurants is not to be believed.

cows at Heckfield Place

Dairy cows at Heckfield Place – I found them on the Heckfield Place Instagram page.

Yes, we’re looking at you. haha

Gorgeous Interior Colors - Heckfield Place - Farrow and Ball Mouses Back - Benjamin Moore Kingsport GrayAnother cool guest suite.

Gorgeous Interior Colors - Heckfield Place - beautiful mix

The wall color looks to be very close to either Farrow and Ball Mouses Back or  Benjamin Moore Kingsport Gray.

Heckfield Place - restaurant lemons and linenLovely

Farrow and Ball Cornforth White - Gorgeous Interior Colors - Heckfield Place

This could very well be Farrow and Ball Cornforth White

The painting makes the space, I think. I get dibs on this room, please!

If you need to convert any of the Farrow & Ball colors, please refer to the chart here.

And, for more Farrow & Ball colors inspired by nature, please go here.

Heckfield Place Color Palette

please pin to pinterest for reference

Well, I hope you enjoyed this look into a little slice of heaven in Hampshire, England, and the beautiful interior colors and furnishings. More to come!

PS: Please check out the HOT SALES pages and especially the gorgeous new flower shop. This is the time to get your orders in for Mother’s Day gifts. There are some excellent sources to get flowers delivered. And, also a beautiful MD gift guide. The direct link to the MD gifts and flowers is here.

• Laura - April 28, 2020 - 7:26 PM

Love the post. My daughters and I were supposed to go to England this Spring, but of course that was cancelled. I love the Hotel, I want to stay there but a little too high for my pocketbook. Maybe we can just have a drink in the bar! Love all the furniture and wall colors. Thanks to you I purchased the Brooks sofa on One Kings Lane and the cream ottoman with the brown stripes. I love them both.
    Thank you for your fabulous blog, I learn so much from you as does everyone who reads it😊ReplyCancel

• Pamela L. SINGER - April 27, 2020 - 5:39 PM

Thank you so much for you lovely, informative and inspirational posts. (The gibberish too-makes me smile) Although I live in a small 1928 Tudor ‘cottage”(our retirement home) and many your posts are of grand spaces, I can always find something to apply to my space. A color, a thought, a piece of furniture. Currently I am attempting to find a small scale sofa. My camel back could be reupholstered-but a change would be nice. Love the sofa in the ochre room-and several others.The scale of most new are simply too big.
    Stay well.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 28, 2020 - 2:14 PM

Hi Pamela,

Yes, you are so right about the scale of much new furniture. I’ve been kvetching about that for quite some time.ReplyCancel

• Robin Nandyal - April 27, 2020 - 4:25 PM

Thank you for this lovely post. I’m wondering about the fabric that was used on the oatmeal colored sofa in the guest room with the olive walls and the photography of the children. Is it mohair? It looks so scrumptious!!
    We are all loosing track of the days, so no worries!!ReplyCancel

• Donna - April 27, 2020 - 10:36 AM

Hi Laurel:

Thanks for another stunning post. On an somewhat unrelated topics…are you familiar with a fun new twitter account called “Room Rater?” It offers critiques of the rooms we now see when celebrities, newspeople and other luminaries are on Zoom or Skype:

Thought you’d enjoy it. Take care and stay safe – and thanks for providing such welcome relief during such a tough time.ReplyCancel

• Pamela Dunn - April 27, 2020 - 8:11 AM

Good Morning Laurel,
    We are so blessed to be healthy here in NJ, so I am not complaining about missing the retirement trips that were cancelled, just thanking you for the virtual trip to the UK!
    Stay Well
    PamReplyCancel

• Kate - April 26, 2020 - 10:45 PM

Laurel! Thanks for taking us to Hampshire, England today! This was truly a gift. Each room is so relaxing. I can’t wait to see Part Two!ReplyCancel

• Ruth - April 26, 2020 - 8:38 PM

Well, swoon.
    Since I’m not going anywhere anytime soon (as in no near term visits to the UK), and I’ve been thinking about giving my house a name – I think I will name my 900sf ‘warbox’ Heckfield Place. A play on words and who’s to know? I will work on evoking the feeling of the real Heckfield on the interior. Thank you so much for the images and commentary!ReplyCancel

• Kathleen Vuolo - April 26, 2020 - 6:25 PM

Laurel, after years of reading your blog I have come to realize I was better off when I had no money and was using furniture donations from my circle of family and friends.
    We thought when we could get matching furniture it would mean we had made it to the top. Haha on me. Now I look around and miss some of those odd little pieces I had picked up along the way. I still have some but with multiple moves some have found new homes. My biggest mistake was not holding on to a sofa from a wealthy lady and a chair from my Grandmother. Now I know how well-made they were and that I could have had them recovered. Asi es la vida. Love your blogs. Thanks for keeping us company.ReplyCancel

• Donna - April 26, 2020 - 3:44 PM

I keep track of the days by looking forward to your posts and this one will be a treat to savor all day long. I wrote you with a blog idea about timeless lighting that would be appropriate for a modern/traditional room, which I had difficulty describing, and this post has given me some ideas. Counting the days until Wednesday! (And still hope you might do a lighting post breaking down some of the rules!)ReplyCancel

• Kathleen Vuolo - April 26, 2020 - 3:33 PM

Helen, I love the morning room. I think the furnishings and accessories make the room calm but interesting. I also enjoyed the guest room that Laurel and I will have to fight for if we are ever there at the same time.
    I find the rest to be coma inducing.
    I would probably never wake up enough to go outside!
    I do appreciate the beauty but I would not enjoy it on a daily basis.ReplyCancel

• Kathleen Vuolo - April 26, 2020 - 3:25 PM

Debra, I am chiming in here because of recent experience. My sister has an open concept home with engineered floors throughout the entire first floor. The kitchen floors and part of the dining area were damaged by a flooded upstairs bathroom. Because she has eng. wood the damaged areas can’t be replaced because they would never be able to match the undamaged flooring.
    It has been a nightmare. The family has had to move out and all their belongings moved into storage so that every inch of the main floor’s eng. wood can be replaced!ReplyCancel

• Susan Rand-Lakritz - April 26, 2020 - 3:11 PM

Hi Laurel! I have a question about the room with the Farrow and Ball Cornforth White walls that you have dibs on. Is a paint color used on the panels below the wainscoting and on the armoire or does it just look that way due to lighting?
    Your emails are great! Really brighten up my day! Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 26, 2020 - 3:21 PM

Thanks Susan. To tell you the truth, I have no idea what the paint color really is. It looks a lot like cornforth white, but it could very well be something else.ReplyCancel

• Felicia - April 26, 2020 - 3:10 PM

Your post is well done, as always! I really love the natural fiber rugs in the guest rooms. Do you know what type of rug? Jute? Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 26, 2020 - 3:21 PM

Thanks, Felicia,

I love them too and they might be jute. Or, they might be something else. But, they have a jute-look.ReplyCancel

• Debbie Hill - April 26, 2020 - 2:56 PM

Thanks for this virtual trip to England and short stay in the fabulous hotel…lovely addition to a drab Carona Day.ReplyCancel

• Debra Cervelli - April 26, 2020 - 1:36 PM

What a beautiful hotel and great post. Laurel, my home has builder grade (cheap) engineered hardword floors in ebony. With my interior paint color,HC45 Shaker Beige, the house tends to feel dark despite huge sliders in the main family room. I especially love the hotel photo featuring light colored tile and a natural fiber rug. To die for. I was wondering if you could shed light on the merits of hardwood floors vs engineered hardwood vs tile as it applies to resale. Maybe fodder for a post? Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Gaye - April 26, 2020 - 1:32 PM

Well, I find the Tradition-Updated look of these rooms delightful. Stable, but not dead. Both comfortable and beautiful. I find the lamps an especially nice touch of timelessness. So good to see the blog in my in-box again: for some reason, it had not arrived lately. Of course, I thought that was because each day was Tuesday. Yes, we’ve lost our time rhythms. Stay safe!ReplyCancel

• Sheree L - April 26, 2020 - 1:17 PM

That digital painting! Me like! I would totally hang that in my house. So much beauty at Heckfield Place. I’m looking forward to the furniture post!ReplyCancel

• Marilynn H Williams - April 26, 2020 - 12:38 PM

So beautiful. I love murky, moody colors.ReplyCancel

• Maureen Byrne - April 26, 2020 - 12:28 PM

I have Farrow & Ball India Yellow in my very small, north facing entry/foyer/porch. It has saltillo tile floor. I cannot believe what a beautiful colour India Yellow is….it is intense, but it has opened the space up (as far as tiny can go ) and is so welcoming and warm. One picture, 3 hooks, an old cedar chest painted and it looks absolutely wonderful. Please don’t be afraid of such an intense colour. I would love to sleep in the “ochre room”!ReplyCancel

• Madonn - April 26, 2020 - 11:03 AM

I think I’d have to remove the disco ball in the bar. It’s kind of like that moment in the old made for TV movie where the time traveler finds a modern penny, and the spell is broken.

I was very interested in the difference between some of the rooms. In some the trim was painted white, while in others it is the same color as the walls. Both are effective in their own way, but when would you use one and when would you do the other? Personally, I like both but probably prefer a contrast with the color of the walls.

I keep track of the days by how much of my hair is gray. I was looking like Pepe LePew a couple of weeks ago, but now I’m veering hard and fast toward Granny.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 26, 2020 - 3:34 PM

Hi Madonn, or is it Madonna?

The movie with the penny that you’re speaking of, is Somewhere In Time with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. It was shot In Mackinac Island at the Grand Hotel. I’ve been there a couple of times, but quite a while back. It’s a magical place, filled with fudge, lol in any case, without the fantasy storyline. They don’t allow cars on the island. The locals, as you might imagine, were very excited about the movie being shot there.

Please enjoy the exquisite theme song by John Williams.ReplyCancel

• Leslie - April 26, 2020 - 10:20 AM

GM Laurel, Yes I have also gotten the days mixed up too! Brain fog is something I’m trying to push past and stay sharp and productive. Ha! At least I cleaned out most of the closets and got a jump on the weeding before Mother’s Day. Staying home has revealed some decorating flaws and flawed plans. So this post with the subtle paint colors and decor is very timely. This post is so beautiful, calming, and masterful! I think the visual education you provided today through the work of Ben Thompson is one of your best design lessons. I’m so thankful for your reader’s suggestion to feature his work in the hotel. I love the consistentcy of design from room to room. I can’t wait to see the decor post!!ReplyCancel

• Lizo - April 26, 2020 - 10:12 AM

Most mornings I lay in bed and think about my plans for the day ahead and then try to remember what day of the week it is. It’s hard! What was yesterday? What did I do? They all bleed together these days. Hanging in there as I hope all of us are. Stay safe, stay well, stay homeReplyCancel

• Tsippi - April 26, 2020 - 10:01 AM

@Tracey Putnam Culver: On my screen it looks like unfortunate brush work. It might only show up in some light. I find Farrow and Ball chalk paint difficult to use ever since they changed the formulation about ten years ago. Perhaps other screens will show something else though. Kudos to the photographer for shooting in such a dark room.ReplyCancel

• Mary E - April 26, 2020 - 9:10 AM

Thank you & your commenter for making me aware of this lovely place. I know I will never see it for myself but I can dream.
    The colors used are just so rich. They remind me of a slice of French Silk pie. I love it!
    The designer did an exquisite job.
    Maybe you could showcase more of Ben Thompson’s work if you ever run out of ideas of things to write about.ReplyCancel

• Tracey Putnam Culver - April 26, 2020 - 7:30 AM

Hello, Laurel! Thank you for this great post. I cannot figure out what is going on with the ceiling in the guest room with the turquoise chinoiserie panels and deep red chaise. Is the ceiling covered with fabric? Perhaps my visual interpretation is off…ReplyCancel

• Ann Kennedy - April 26, 2020 - 7:12 AM

Beautiful post, beautiful place, beautiful palette, serene and gentle but with a sense of strength as well. As with all perfect interiors there is not a single piece of patterned upholstery. And so I continue to stare at my paisley love seat c2000 with disdain, while enjoying its comfort on this early morning sometime in April. Thank you.ReplyCancel

• Helen - April 26, 2020 - 6:43 AM

P.S. I did like some of the chandeliers, the painted woodwork, and those turquoise panels. I I may’ve been too harsh in my last comment, lol.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - April 26, 2020 - 3:27 PM

No problem, Helen. First of all, you’re only looking at one or two walls at a time. When you’re in the room, it might feel differently. The designs are minimal and some English designers do design this way. And, many do the Bible of British Taste style which most Americans would call a “bloody mess.” lol All-in-all, it’s still a hotel room. There aren’t going to be a lot of accessories. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen an American hotel like this one. One very beautiful hotel that everyone loves is the Ocean House in Watch Hill, Rhode Island. I’ve not stayed there, but have walked around the grounds and had a drink there. It’s like being transported back in time.ReplyCancel

• Helen - April 26, 2020 - 6:32 AM

Love the painting of the woman, the digitally created painting, the photos of the cows and the dessert but boy o boy, did I NOT like those interiors! It felt like the designer had stripped all the charm that I associate with England and turned the place into a NYC hotel.

That look is great for NYC where you can need calm and respite from the city, but the English countryside is filled with some of the friendliest and most polite people imaginable… to come home to a dull hotel like that would drain all the creative excitement and happiness from me.

I so appreciate these posts because even one like this where I had such a strong negative reaction helps me define my taste and what I do like.ReplyCancel