My No-Fail Paint Color Failed – What Went Wrong?

The other day, there was a comment on my last post about a 25-color whole-house paint palette.

She wrote to tell me, that her no-fail paint color had failed.

And while stated very nicely, it’s not the kind of comment I like to receive; only because she wasn’t completely happy with my advice. The advice was from a post I wrote nearly two years ago about No-Fail Paint Colors.

I gave a fairly lengthy response on the blog but want to expand upon it and make it more visible via a blog post.

Is there such a thing as a No-Fail Paint Color?

It’s actually somewhat of a misnomer.

The reason for that is that any paint color can fail if the circumstances are not favorable.

The difficult part is that the reasons are so numerous that it might just cause one to throw up their arms in despair! However, I think if we embrace the pitfalls, from the beginning, we have a very good chance of getting it right.

Important Note

The advice on this blog is here for general advice. It may not apply to your unique situation. This is one reason why I cannot give out specific advice in the comments. There are so many variables. Dealing with those variables ideally requires an in-person visit.

Whenever I give out a color or make a recommendation, it is always meant as a starting point, not written in stone as a given. It can’t be. Here’s why:

It’s paint and its hue is contingent on the light it’s reflecting.

We can only do so much to control the light during the day. At night, we have a lot more control, of course.

There are other possible issues and here is a list of everything I can think of. If you can think of something else, please write it in the comments.

12 Reasons Why Your No-Fail Paint Color Failed

1. Your room sucks. Sorry, I don’t know any other way to say it. It’s boxy, plain, banal as hell. There’s only one window that’s smaller than most found in a prison cell. There’s only the one door. The ceiling is low. There is no moulding except for the old “sanitary baseboard,” we call it.

There is no color on this good planet that is going to make this room look good— that is… without a lot of outside help.

2. The room is very dark to begin with. I don’t want to get into the north-facing thing too much, but yes, it’s dark and north-east and there’s a big hill. I would probably steer you away from a dark color– unless it’s a library and the lights will be on all the time anyway. OR, you really love the idea of a dark moody room and plan on illuminating it with artificial light.

3. You didn’t consider the other rooms around it. Everyone is painting their rooms in that hot new shade of purple. Last year it was orange and the year before turquoise. Each room in your home is now a different style and color. It’s going to look odd.(duh) There needs to be a logical flow and adjacent rooms should have a thread of one color or color family for continuity.

A good example of that, is the home we did last year in Bronxville.

Anna Potter Design Sponge no-fail paint color Benjamin Moore Van Courtland Blue hc-145Via: Design Sponge

Anna Potter’s home carries through it a monochromatic green palette that I think is especially lovely.

3. The other finishes/materials in the room clash with the color. If you have pinky-beige cabinets, you can’t paint the walls a clear yellow. That’s an extreme case, but you get the idea. When figuring out a paint color, it is imperative to consider what else is going in the room.

That may seem obvious to most of you and yet I am constantly being asked to throw out colors without my being able to see what else is going on. A description is the same as when you describe how you’re feeling to your doctor. He still needs to see you to make the diagnosis.

But, Laurel, we just moved and I have no idea what we’re going to be putting in the room.

If you don’t know what else is going in the room but you need to paint, then perhaps create a plan that you can carry out later on. Even if some things change, you will be less likely to paint yourself into…

my scandinavian home no-fail paint colorvia: My Scandinavian Home

Love this enfilade where each room plays nicely off the other. By creating your over-all palette first, you’re way ahead of the game.

4. You just took my word for it. Gosh, guys, please. I’m pretty good at what I do, but I am NOT perfect. Far from it. So please understand that my selections are always meant as general advice and it does not mean that you don’t STILL have to test and draw your own conclusions.

If a “no-fail” color doesn’t appeal to you, then don’t use it!

5. You chose the color from a photograph in a magazine, from your computer monitor or someplace that was not real life.

no-fail paint color rose tarlow wallpaper off color in the photo on the rightRose Tarlow – Melrose House

Here is a perfect example. It’s not paint, but the point is made. The wallpaper on the left is the SAME as the wallpaper on the right. The photo on the right was in a magazine but a head-on view. I’ve used this wallpaper and have admired it for over 16 years. The color on the right is wrong!

6. You don’t yet have anything else in the room. Well of course it looks weird. This relates to reason #1. You have to have other things in the room to make the color sing. Look at how uplifting this very dark gray room looks with its bright accents.

the-guardian- photo-david-cleveland-no-fail-paint-colorThe Guardian – Photo David Cleveland

Not sure, but the color looks to be Farrow and Ball Down Pipe

7. Because… Light is crazy.

7. I repeat. Light is crazy.

I don’t know if God realized that we weren’t going to go on living in caves for the rest of time. I’m not sure if He thought that far ahead. If he had, he would’ve created a light that was perfectly even throughout the day. but wait. What am I saying? Then, we would never have any idea what time it was or if there was a storm coming. Sorry, God, as you were. We’re the ones being difficult. We just have to have that perfect color that is going to look the same at all times of the day and night. Sunny, cloudy. Morning, evening. Winter, summer.  That is a lot to ask! It’s not going to happen.

And that brings me to the difference between light in different parts of the world. Generally, closer to the equator and/or hot = warm light. Cool, northern places equal cool light. Unless it’s sunset. :]

8. Your artificial lighting sucks.

cool-med-warm steve jenkins no-fail paint colorSteve Jenkins

Yes, this is the same wall color in all three shots.

This is a whole topic unto itself. Here are three different types of light. I believe they are cool LED on the left, then halogen, and third incandescent. Please, do not ever use a cool LED or so-called “daylight” bulb in your home. Please. You can still get incandescent bulbs. And there are some LEDs that are warm and not too bright.

9. The paint was mixed wrong.

It’s rare, but it can happen. Please test that the color in the can is what you are expecting.

10. You tested the paint incorrectly by painting it directly on one wall and then you put up a bunch of other colors next to it. If you subscribe, you will receive a paint guide which explains the best way to test your colors.

11. Your room has some weird angles.

I once worked on a home and the eating area of the kitchen had two walls at an unusual angle. The walls had already been painted. They looked so different from each other, I swore it was two different colors. It wasn’t.

12. You took the name of the paint literally. Benjamin Moore and other paint companies are notorious for exaggerating the name. For instance, many shades of green or blue are called Gray. Or shades of gold are called cream. For help with the best shades of Benjamin Moore paint colors click here.

no-fail-paint color Benjamin Moore Hepplewhite Ivory HC- 36 colorforte (1)Color Forte

Wall color: Benjamin Moore Hepplwhite Ivory HC-36. It’s a lovely color, but if you are expecting ivory, you might be disappointed.

And one more which I’m sure I’ve mentioned.

13. You listened to…

your husband who insisted that the color be “halved”

Or your mother,

child,

sister,

BFF…

Sure, go ahead and listen to them. But please do not half your color unless you know that it is a good thing to do. At the very least, do an experiment first.

no-fail paint color failed

Well, there it is. There are many reasons why a no-fail paint color might not work out as you thought it would. Take your time. Make a plan. Trust your instincts and all should work out fine.

Oh, and here is a link to my all-time 16 favorite Benjamin Moore paint colors!

And if you love Farrow and Ball (I do too!) but can’t get it or can’t afford it, here is a guide to matching up the colors with Benjamin Moore.

A week ago I did a post about interior designers and the Design Bloggers Conference. One lovely designer and home-builder, Susie Feia, just did a wonderful post on the Design Bloggers Conference’s website about what it is like to attend a blog conference and what she learned. If you’re interested in knowing more about what goes on, it’s an interesting read.

Laurel

This post is dedicated to the fallen in Brussels, Belgium.

• Wall Painting - April 20, 2017 - 3:37 AM

Woww, awesome wall paintings. I am a painting lover and truly appreciate art. I love purchasing creative paintings for my house. I have a big collection at my house. Keep blogging..ReplyCancel

• Lindsey - September 7, 2016 - 7:24 PM

Do you know the paint color used in Anna Potter’s home? I have been searching for it via the Internet and have had no luck.ReplyCancel

• Betty - May 15, 2016 - 1:02 PM

Choosing colors just plain sucks LOL I’ve been on a living room color quest for four months now and am totally exhausted – phewww. I even dished out $50 for a BM at home color consultation which she decided that gold would be a great choice, I never considered that, as I took the large (nice) color “chips” and dutifully taped them to my walls, I watched as they turned from kinda gold to yellowish and one afternoon a particularly hideous pumpkin. [sigh] So back to square one, but if I do go with a BM color and purchase from that particular store I’ll get a credit for $25.

Right now my fireplace wall looks like one of your “don’t do this” walls with three exceptionally large color squares 🙂 , all dark and none looking like the beautiful colors on my laptop; Vintage Wine and Catwalk. What color do I really want – a deep, rich Hunter Green. I know, I know … green can get really funky and yellowish on walls, sometimes the color wheel is not fair. :(( One gal at BM pulled out their “Hunter Green” it was awful, it is too bad that I gave away my riding Hunt Coat which was the exact green color, a real Hunter Green. Do you feel sorry for me yet? LOL Sorry to be so blah, blah, blah what started out to be a two line comment ended up being comparable to War and Peace. LOLReplyCancel

• Jeanette - May 6, 2016 - 5:21 PM

Do you happen to know what the colors are in the Scandinavian home picture?ReplyCancel

• Laurel Gerges - March 23, 2016 - 8:17 PM

I learned about the relationship between light and color during a few traumatic painting sessions in our house in the Hamptons. We had to paint the den three times because I didn’t realize that this north facing room with shrubbery outside the window would transform the gold/tan color (BM Moccasin) selected by my friend, an interior designer, into a hideous greenish gold that didn’t match the drapes and carpeting left by the former owner. By the third painting, I was too frustrated to change it again. It is now BM Arizona Tan. Better than before, but not perfect.

Then there’s our master bedroom. I mistakenly tried to select a color to match expensive drapes left by the former owner (another big mistake), so selected a beautiful color I used in an upstairs bedroom – BM Lighthouse Landing. While interviewing another designer to replace my “friend,” I was told to mix the Lighthouse Landing with 30% white. Oh my God! What a mistake that was. Instead of a beautiful soft light gold color, my room now looks like dusty pink! I was horrified! I didn’t know that certain whites can change the entire color. I also think that the light entering our bedroom is different from the light in the upstairs bedroom, and that affected the way the color looks. I thought you mix a color with white and you get a tint of the same color. Not so with house paints! Who knew? So, now it’s just a matter of time before I get rid of the expensive ugly drapes, the ugly carpeting, and the dusty pinky peach color on the walls!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 24, 2016 - 2:47 PM

Hi LaureL,

What a pretty name! ;] I’m sure all laureLs suffer from LaureN syndrome. I know that I do!

This is a terrific note. It’s terrific because what you are describing is probably more the rule than the exception. This is why I cringe whenever someone says that had something mixed at 50% 75% 150%

Percent of WHAT??? makes me nuts. Now, sometimes, there’s a formula that someone has done and it works, but that is more the exception than the rule.

I learned this in design school. Mixing pure white with a color will make it more blue. Mix black and white together and you get blue. But, it’s a cool blue and probably has a little red in it too and henceforth is how you ended up with dusty pink in stead of a lighter gold color.ReplyCancel

• Jenny - March 25, 2016 - 1:55 PM

Yes, working with paints is so different from what you imagine it to be.
        The store couldn’t do 75% for example, but they could do 66%..because certain formula.
        Also, I started slowly getting how the paints are built. I couldn’t choose between two taupes. I checked them in different houses(the old one, next to the furnishings, and the new one, empty still), in different rooms, in different lights. They had different names, so I naturally expected them to be a bit different. But they were the same no matter where and how I looked at them. So we brought them to the shop. And asked: “What is the difference between these two?” Three or four workers that were on the floor couldn’t find the difference, just by looking at it. Then they went to the formulas-one had a little more(microscopically little) black pigment, and red pigment, than the other. I was in shock. I was in shock that something that I would get on the paper with a bit of green and a bit of yellow and maybe a tad of gray would have a red in it.
        I suddenly understood how Maria Killiam put her system of undertones together)) She was working for several years with the formulas. She knows what is behind the paint, how it is mixed. I also read Janice Lindsay’s book “All about color”, and the history of using different pigments was fascinating..

Black and white together make blue?!? Mind boggling. But so very fascinating as I’ve said. You can never get bored with color..ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 27, 2016 - 12:30 AM

Hi Jenny,

Yes, it is all very interesting. Black and yellow make green, BTW. Some colors ARE the same. Or else the difference as you pointed out is so minute that it’s of no consequence. It really is not! Gosh, the colors change so much as it is throughout the day!ReplyCancel

• Susan Pegel - March 23, 2016 - 11:01 AM

I”m still a big fan of white (or off-white) on the walls and then you can bring in color and pattern with other stuff in the room. I have a whole wall of windows facing west and the golden light at sunset flooding into the living/dining room is wonderful!!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 24, 2016 - 2:28 PM

I’m with you Susan. I’ve talked a lot about white on here. It’s my favorite color!ReplyCancel

• Katie - March 23, 2016 - 5:36 PM

I’d really love to hire an interior designer (as I feel I fail at execution!) but I’m worried. Will the designer suck up most of my design budget? How do I find a good one? How do I know what a “good one” is? The only person I know that’s used an ID is my MIL. I love my MIL’s taste. I did not care for her decorator’s. Sigh.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 24, 2016 - 2:40 PM

Hi Katie,

I’ve written a few times on here about this very topic. If you type in interior designer or interior decorator, in the search box in the sidebar, they should pop up. There are two that come to mind quickly. Interior designer or decorator from hell. (two posts) Also, “I want to hire a decorator…”

Your concerns are legitimate.

But, no, a good designer should SAVE you money not end up costing you more. Of course, it depends what you’re choosing. If you’re only choosing very high end products that are not available in stores, then yes, it’s going to cost a pretty-penny. But that is a function of the high-end nature of the products.

But apples for apples, the cost should not be more and with me, it ends up being less. I do not have a separate office or a staff to pay and that is something to consider as well, because a larger firm may cost you more.

The posts I wrote should give you a good blue-print when looking for a designer and also help you along with the design process in terms of what your designer needs.

But you need to find one whose style is in-line with yours. And one that you feel very comfortable with. If you don’t feel comfortable, then move on.

A good designer should also be interpreting YOUR taste, not her taste. I don’t always love everything my clients select. At the very least, I like it and sometimes I end up liking it more than my initial selection.

You want to find someone who will collaborate with you to create the home of YOUR dreams. If you feel like you are being strong-armed, then it’s not going to work out. Of course, if it’s a mistake, then yes, your designer must tell you and tell you why it’s a mistake. If you disagree, then she must listen.

I never make anyone do anything. There is always another way.

Good luck and hope that helped!ReplyCancel

• Jenny - March 22, 2016 - 11:52 PM

Hi Laurel! Was so happy to see your post! That’s such a great round up, as ever. And so very true.
    Maybe you remember me complaining how my husband diluted the paint too much in the guest room? So this room also happens to be the most “room that sucks” throughout the entire house. It’s the most bland one. All the rest have some redeeming qualities-an interesting window, or a skylight, or something. This room can boast absolutely nada. And this poor tiny space, out of all of them, gets painted in this diluted sadness..
    I think I’ll give it the best curtains in the house. Maybe it will become pleasantly surprised..:)

PS names of paint colors highly influence me, I noticed. I tried to remain as cool and indifferent to them as I could:) On the other hand, I mixed one custom color by myself, and gave it a pretty name, and they put it in the computer in the paint store:) So, there:)ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 24, 2016 - 2:23 PM

Hi Jenny,

I’ve had a few husbands who’ve done this. Who knew that men were such wooses when it comes to color? lol But, yes, you can do a lot to make it work by using varying shades of the same hue in the fabrics and artwork.ReplyCancel

• Tracy S - March 22, 2016 - 8:55 PM

FWIW, I chose one of your “no fail” colors — Benjamin Moore’s Gray Mirage (which is actually a kind of a taupe-y gray-ish green) — and I LOVE it. Painted it throughout an 1800 square foot apartment, except for the bedroom which is Quiet Moments (a pale sort of duck egg blue/green).

Super, super happy.

The no-fails didn’t fail over here. Thanks for the guidance!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 22, 2016 - 10:42 PM

Hi Tracy,
      Glad to hear that. Hope you’re settling in nicely in your new digs!

Love Quiet Moments. It’s probably my most common go-to bedroom choice. Everyone loves it. It’s a great color!ReplyCancel

• Alison - March 22, 2016 - 8:52 PM

A wonderful post, thank you Laurel. I have had two of the ‘mistakes’ happen to me and both by professional painters. Firstly, in one house I owned the paint for the interior walls was mixed incorrectly. The painter bought a different brand paint and had the trade centre mix to my chosen colour code. Unfortunately that brand’s tints were not quite the same and the paint was not he same as I ordered. Days wasted in having it repainted. On my current house I was told I had to choose the exterior colour from one brand so after a great deal of consideration, checking undertones and light at different times of day I chose a colour called ‘Indiscretion’, a neutral grey beige with if anything a green undertone. I wrote the name of the paint down for the painter and showed him the colour chip. What I got was ‘Indecision’ a pink beige that in some lights looked like it had a purple undertone. The first time I saw it was around 5pm in the low light of autumn and what a shock it was. I burst into tears and thought the world had ended. In the light of day it didn’t look so bad and after a few days I got used to it as it went well with the very neutral brick base. The painter agreed to repaint but as I was desperate to move in I asked him to come back in a few months to repaint. This arrangement suited him too. I never got around to the repaint and 5 years on it is still the pink beige. Big lesson learnt out of this: Don’t just use the name of the colour get the colour number and quote it too.

Here in Australia we use a lot of daylight bulbs. On my walls I have a colour called Eighth Tea which is a greyed white with a green undertone. It is a gorgeous soft colour that goes well with the timber floors and takes its cue from the giant tree that overlooks the back of the house. If I use warm globes the walls appear cream or yellow white which I don’t like at all but under the daylight globes (shaded of course) the clear colour of the green white shines through. I don’t see the daylight bulbs as being clinical or cold but rather fresh and psychologically cooler in our extreme heat. I replace all my bulbs every six months as even the daylight ones yellow over time.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 22, 2016 - 10:40 PM

Hi Alison,

Such interesting points here. But YES!!! I always speck out the paint with the name AND number because people change numbers around or misspell things and it lessens the chance of an error.

Interesting about the light bulbs.

I’ve had a few clients who’ve had the cool white LED lights and it doesn’t look warm and inviting, IMO, but I trust that in your case it’s just the right thing.ReplyCancel

• Kelly Galloway - March 22, 2016 - 11:55 PM

I, too, only use the daylight bulbs in my house where I can. I cannot stand how other bulbs put off “yellow” light. I find that they negatively change the paint colors I chose from your brilliant no-fails.
        Yeah, they can be a bit glaring, but I won’t give them up!

Btw…I chose BM Horizon for my master bath. It’s a gorgeous, albeit light, color.ReplyCancel

• Kate - March 26, 2016 - 11:35 PM

I am a big, big fan of daylight bulbs! I have very tall ceilings (20 ft on the first floor and 12 on the second) and French doors/huge windows everywhere so we don’t need to turn on lights till nightfall. We collect art and use colorful pillows/throws and with the 4,000 Kelvin lights (low wattage please and thank you) and dimmer switches, every color looks like it does during the day – vibrant and true. The one exception I made was in the dining room because my husband (the H-word!) insisted people feel as if they look soft and romantic. I get his point – when HDTV first came out, I thought, “I didn’t need to see so & so’s skin THAT clearly!” but now I’m used to it. It did require some tap dancing to find pieces that still look as good in the yellower 2,400 Kelvin lighting but I did it. We also have 5,000 Kelvin in our master closets. My husband loves it – he’s 100% certain he’s walking out the door in all navy or all black instead of getting things mixed up. As with the artwork, I think it’s fantastic to be able to see the color nuances of my clothing and accessories so easily. As for the master bath, I consider the lighting in there my friend even if it’s a little intense – I have every confidence that when I leave the house, my face looks good. How many of us have walked into a commercial bathroom or fitting room with fluorescent lights and been horrified by what we saw because our bathroom light at home was too flattering? That will never happen to me again.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 27, 2016 - 12:28 AM

Hi Kate,

That is all so interesting. In truth, I’ve only seen the daylight bulbs a couple times and I was horrified but maybe they are different than your daylight bulbs or there was some other issue. Your home sounds glorious!

I have stopped looking at myself in the mirror. It’s always horrifying. lol

• Laurel Bern - March 24, 2016 - 2:26 PM

Hi Kelly,

The ones I have seen actually put off an almost blue light and I’ve found that off-putting. However, yes, incandescent bulbs can also make certain colors look muddier, such as blue colors. Halogen is a good compromise and maybe there are some LEDs which are clear–not cool or warm. But I still like warmth because it’s the closest to a candlelight. :]ReplyCancel

• Kate - March 22, 2016 - 8:47 PM

Laurel, it is a treat to get your post on Tuesday (hurray!!).
    You are absolutely right on almost all points:
    The room with Crownsville Gray walls sucks ☺– it is small, north facing, one window, no moldings and nothing (yet) on the walls to make the color sing. I would actually love this color is it wasn’t currently my 1.5 y.o. son’s bedroom and a possible future office.
    I absolutely agree with Catlin on the peculiarity of Feather Gray. It certainly has lavender tint to it and yes it is great with dark coral. BTW my daughter loves her room! However I find that Feather Gray is sort of falling out from the rest of your beautiful “no fail” color collection. It looks good next to Ivory White hallway but somehow colder (?) than other colors.
    However let me praise you again for inspiring a color shy person (me) to paint my house in different colors. Even if I made my mistakes (see above) I love that each room has its own character now thanks to the rich and interesting colors you have selected for us.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 22, 2016 - 10:36 PM

Hi Kate,

Yes, the feather gray is cooler than most. I think I had in mind a girl’s room that could grow up with her. I think it’s one of those colors that looks good with all colors.

To help the Crownsville, you need some colorful art with large white mats and white frames. And also a bit of black. Like a small black chest would be smart. Or a black night table. Something like that.ReplyCancel

• Kate - March 23, 2016 - 4:20 AM

You are right as always! I found an enegeering drawing of a ship with a white mount and a black frame and it looks great next to Crownsville. I need more black in the room though. Also a bright gold pineapple looks great with Crownsville. I do love the color and it makes this north facing room look warm. It just despite a fairly big window it is always dark in this room.ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 24, 2016 - 2:27 PM

Hi Kate,

Gold looks so wonderful with many colors! Mirrors are wonderful in dark rooms and if you put a lamp in front of the mirror, prepare to be dazzled!ReplyCancel

• Donna - March 22, 2016 - 8:33 PM

Hi Laurel: What a treat to get a midweek post from you!! And what a great primer on how to use/interpret your “no fail color” advice…extremely helpful, as always.

I’m a bit late to the game, but I’ve been meaning to (first) congratulate you on your recent “Best Written’ Design Bloggers win, and (second), to tell you how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog!! Last fall, I moved with my family from Long Island to Norwalk, CT – and I stumbled upon your advice when I was in a frenzy about picking the right white paint colors. I’m a decorating enthusiast with – alas – very poor visualization skills, so I was gratified to see that a pro like you had the same likes and dislikes when it comes to white shades (Like: White Dove, Cotton Balls, Simply White; Dislike: China White, Spanish White). Since then, I’ve been an avid fan..and your archives are GREAT.

Plan to buy your book as a Mother’s Day present from me to me – thanks again!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 22, 2016 - 10:31 PM

oh Donna, what a sweet note. It’s never too late to wish me anything good!

I know that some designers like china white, but our old townhouse was sprayed that color – everywhere and it just looked so dingy. As soon as we changed it, things looked so much better!ReplyCancel

• Eleanor - March 22, 2016 - 8:29 PM

I love your no-fail whole-house scheme! And like the commenter above, I have also begun a love affair with Narrangansett green—it is going on my kitchen cabinets shortly, even though I think my family is questioning my sanity to go against the white cabinet trend. But I’m not worried, because I purchased a sample:) But really, all of your reasons for a fail are valid. I have experienced most of them, including incorrect formula/mixes at the paint store (even at Ben Moore dealers).ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 22, 2016 - 10:27 PM

Hi Eleanor,

I have been to Narragansett Rhode Island several times because we used to vacation in the area every year for quite a while. It’s like the Hamptons in LI but without the traffic and hefty prices.

The cabinets sound gorgeous. I’d love to see that when it’s all finished!ReplyCancel

• Eleanor - March 23, 2016 - 6:34 AM

I will send some pics when it is done next month. 🙂 thanks for the encouragement.ReplyCancel

• Cathlin - March 22, 2016 - 7:52 PM

Such a great post!!

I think the woman from the other blog comments and I, despite living on different continents, must have similar light 🙂 (PNW=UK?)

And to double down on what she said – when I was testing out the colors and didn’t love a color from that palette in our room, in our house, I was still just over the moon at having the palette. Every. Single. Color we are putting in our house came from those no fail blog posts – it’s just that some colors were more no fail than others. Because Reasons (listed above).

I mean, really, Horizon might just plain be too “blue” for my not-so-in-love-with-blue tastes! And Feather Gray definitely skews a bit more lavender than I expected but in a really pretty way perfect for my girls’ rooms and dang. That color looks good with EVERYTHING (especially the bright coral-red my daughter loves). So that’s one that was a color I would never have picked off the chip, and I’m so excited about it. Same for Narragansett, the love I have for that color… <3 I never would've been brave enough to go for it without you and your blog!

So for various reasons (fewer rooms, limited budget, not quite the right light) we didn't get to use all the colors – but I was ready to roll with 10!

And because this is so intertwined for me: we're building, and we've spent all the time to this point saving, saving, saving for this project. Which means my current house is a mish mash of nothing I ever picked out for myself. Needless to say, decorating scares my trousers off. Having these paint colors, the palette being cohesive, the colors being beautiful, bold, rich, lovely – that gives me courage! Courage to decorate my home, piece by piece!ReplyCancel

• Laurel Bern - March 22, 2016 - 10:24 PM

Hi Cathlin,

Yes, Feather Gray is a way to get “lavender” but not quite.

I imagine that PNW and UK do have similar light being so gray so often. That is a very good point. Gray light is like north facing but worse. It’s like wearing sunglasses in the house!ReplyCancel