Happy Memorial Day Weekend Everyone! I am with my son, Cale and his lovely girlfriend, Maureen in Boston. But don’t worry. I’m not sitting around blogging. I wrote this before I left.
Memorial Day harkens the beginning of the summer season; long, lazy days and it’s prompted a post that I’ve wanted to write for quite some time. And it’s not about pretty furniture. But, it’s very much related.
Our homes are our havens, but they can also be extremely hazardous to our health. The real culprit however, is that a lot of these things that WE BELIEVE ARE HELPING US MIGHT ACTUALLY BE KILLING US.
Of course, I’m not a scientist or a doctor. And I’m certainly not someone who goes all nuts keeping everything all “natural.” However, I do believe that we need to be more mindful as clearly, there are things in our environment that are causing us harm. And I believe that a lot of them can be avoided as they are right in our very homes!
Here are Three Not-So-Healthy Ways Our Home Habits Can Harm Us
- Anti-bacterial Cleaners, Soaps and Hand sanitizer. Americans in particular have gone nuts with this. Germaphobes is what we are. Leave them be. They aren’t going anywhere and a lot of them are HELPFUL. We’re killing the good ones and making the bad ones stronger. Meanwhile, our immune systems can’t handle the stronger germs and are becoming weaker. Throw it all out. If you want to keep your kids healthy, feed them a bowl of dirt once a day. I’m only half-joking. Stop cleaning yourself to death.
- Not running your air conditioner [and dehumidifier if you have a basement]. Mold is an extremely dangerous toxin. You do not have to keep your home freezing cold. But you do need to keep it dry. Your furniture, rugs, etc. will also last longer. Once mold appears, it’s difficult to get rid of it. Please don’t be one of those righteous people who “doesn’t believe” in air-conditioning. In addition. Your air-conditioner is also an air filter.
- Household Cleaners. Please, read this. I’m not saying that you need to go crazy, however, don’t let words like “green” and “citrus” fool you. Also, please and I need to remind myself this too. DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING INTO THE AIR — EVEN GLASS CLEANER. Spray it into the rag and then wipe. I use a lot real lemon and water and a weak solution of vinegar and water for a lot of my cleaning. Ammonia is a great cleaner, but it’s really lethal, especially when mixed with other chemicals. So, please don’t use it. Do not under any circumstances use anything labeled as “air freshener.” IT IS NOT FRESHENING THE AIR. It is poisoning it!!! For some helpful tips on natural household cleaners, I found this article be very interesting and informative.
Here are three things you may not know
- The sun is a natural cleaner. Once a year instead of taking your fine rugs to the cleaners, take them outside and give them a good beating and let them soak up some rays for a few hours. [BTW, Oriental rugs should never be sent out to be cleaned– never. Commercial cleaners will strip away the precious natural LANOLIN found in wool which is a NATURAL CLEANER. And once it’s gone, your rugs will then, really get dirty. They will also get brittle and break down. Of course, if you have an accident, spot cleaning is totally fine. Otherwise, all a fine rug needs is regular vacuuming and an occasional sun bath, if possible.]
- One of the best drain cleaners is baking soda and lemon juice.
- If you put fresh lemons in the sink at night, it will keep your drain fresh. Lemons are a natural antiseptic. And so is vinegar. Perfume-y cleaners are not freshening anything. They are only masking odors. It’s kinda like never showering and just putting on perfume. [ I had a roommate like that once. ]
Lung Cancer is striking more and more otherwise healthy people, [particularly women] WHO’VE NEVER SMOKED. Please think about everything that you put on your skin (including perfume) and use in your home and are INHALING. The FDA only regulates against some things and ignores other things that are known carcinogens. Why this is so, I’m not sure, but all I know is that we need to be careful.
Hope you are having a safe and beautiful holiday!